Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Skype down worldwide

Skype down worldwide

Old Dec 22, 10, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Skype down worldwide

Sorry if this has been reported somewhere else -- I looked but didn't see it.

Skype is down and not working worldwide (except for enterprise products). It went down some time are 9:30 this morning. Skype engineers reported it was a problem with "super nodes," and would be up in "a few hours." However, it is 7 pm Pacific and it is still down. Here's the information from Skype's website:

Skype downtime today
Earlier today, we noticed that the number of people online on Skype was falling, which wasn’t typical or expected, so we began to investigate.

Skype isn’t a network like a conventional phone or IM network – instead, it relies on millions of individual connections between computers and phones to keep things up and running. Some of these computers are what we call ‘supernodes’ – they act a bit like phone directories for Skype. If you want to talk to someone, and your Skype app can’t find them immediately (for example, because they’re connecting from a different location or from a different device) your computer or phone will first try to find a supernode to figure out how to reach them.

Under normal circumstances, there are a large number of supernodes available. Unfortunately, today, many of them were taken offline by a problem affecting some versions of Skype. As Skype relies on being able to maintain contact with supernodes, it may appear offline for some of you.

What are we doing to help? Our engineers are creating new ‘mega-supernodes’ as fast as they can, which should gradually return things to normal. This may take a few hours, and we sincerely apologise for the disruption to your conversations. Some features, like group video calling, may take longer to return to normal.
Enterprise products including Skype Connect and Skype Manager continue to function normally.

Customers using the enterprise version of Skype for Windows may still experience delays signing in.

Stay tuned to @skype on Twitter for the latest updates on the situation – and many thanks for your continued patience in the meantime.
Old Dec 22, 10, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Yes - for most of the day (and night). Funny I couldn't connect right after a suggested skype update and thought it was my computer or my phone tether, still thought so when I had the same problem with 2nd computer which shows how certain I was that skype was reliable (esp since skype acted like it was working but couldn't find an internet connection).

Finally searched and found out it was skype!
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC
It is SUPER frusterating.

Expecting a call from overseas and no connection. I couldn't sign in.

About 9 pm pacific it starting to connect and names populate, however I missed the call I was expecting.

I always thought skype was very reliable so I never bothered to give people overseas my cell number. I will as a possible backup method to connect.
Old Dec 23, 10, 8:53 am

Although skype was down on my computers [along with everyone else's], i was able to successfully use my skype-to-go number and make calls to Asia.
Old Dec 23, 10, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I video conference with my writing partner. We had to cancel last night's session. Fortunately, Skype appears to be back up this morning.
Old Dec 23, 10, 9:02 am

Programs: Credit Cards
funny... yesterday I tried calling a phone from Skype for the first time and it worked on 3 occasions each call lasting over 5 minutes

I had 1 free phone call on Skype since I never used it from the time I signed up, called an 800 number in the US from Spain to chat with Citi Bank.

I was wondering why the system let me do it three times if I only had one call.
Old Dec 23, 10, 10:12 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had to laugh last night because I was getting a spiel on a flight from an IT guy that was hawking Skype PBX replacement deals that Skype's distributed architecture was now reliable enough for "mission critical" applications.

Wonder how he's pitching today...
Old Dec 24, 10, 12:14 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Free 30 minutes for compensation

From Skype CEO: December 23, 2010

Nothing can make up for the missed experiences, but we're going to be sending our Pay As You Go and Pre-Pay users a Skype Credit voucher via email. The voucher can be used to give you approximately 30 minutes of free calling to landlines anywhere in the world.*

For our active subscribers, we will credit you with a week's extra subscription service. It may take a few days, but once implemented, it will be applied from your next renewal date.
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
I had 1 free phone call on Skype since I never used it from the time I signed up, called an 800 number in the US from Spain to chat with Citi Bank.

I was wondering why the system let me do it three times if I only had one call.
IIRC, it's free to call 1-800 in the US. I think your 1 free call credit allows you to place calls.
Old Dec 29, 10, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I just got my compensation.

Wow. $1. I must be careful how I use it and not go overboard ...

Mrs Roger's hasn't arrived, but we're not losing any sleep over it.
Old Dec 30, 10, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I didn't get an email saying anything about compensation, but I just got two order confirmations which for each of my Skype-In numbers say:

Product name: Online Number Free Extension (+1 xxxxxxxxxx)
Total amount: EUR0.00

It doesn't say how long they extended it, but from looking back at my history it seems they extended my service for two whole weeks.
Old Dec 31, 10, 8:49 am

Both my wife and I each got a $1.00 voucher several days ago.
This morning I also got a 7 day extension on my international calling subscription.
^^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: