Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoGo's Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

GoGo's Mistake

I've bought GoGo three to four times last year and was generally impressed. If I hadn't had this experience, this free promo would have turned me off on them. Their system is constantly maxed out and you have to use tricks to hold the signal which makes you a bandwith pig.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Last week was the third time I've used GoGo on a United PS flight. The first two times the speed was pretty great. This last time, early in the flight it worked well. By halfway through the flight however, it slowed to a crawl.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It has been slow during the FREE promo, I will render judgement on them after Jan and it goes back to paid service.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:57 am
Original Poster

My point is that I think this free promo hurts them rather than helps them. The airlines would have been smarter giving away a few passes each flight on a semi-random basis (e.g. when people printed their boarding passes).

This is the cyber equivalent of long lines and slow service.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My point is that I think this free promo hurts them rather than helps them. The airlines would have been smarter giving away a few passes each flight on a semi-random basis (e.g. when people printed their boarding passes).

+1 or at least have priority bandwidth for those who are still willing to pay inflight. i can't get ANY work done on flights anymore.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
+1 or at least have priority bandwidth for those who are still willing to pay inflight. i can't get ANY work done on flights anymore.
Or, charge double for a "guaranteed" pipe that will allow interruption-free HD streaming
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
I believe they do have this. You may need an unlimited account. It seemed to work a lot better when I logged in with my account.

QL
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Gogo is currently working on a great scam. Here is what they did to me.

I was happily buying Delta 30 day passes about every 30 days. This was $30.

A few weeks before the "free for everyone" promo started I had to renew my monthly. Well this time they no longer offered a 30 day Delta. The ONLY options I had were a $13 daily or a $35 "unlimited" which I understood to be on ALL airlines (as opposed to just Delta). I didn't need it, but it was cheaper than buying daily passes.

So imagine my surprise when 30 days after I had renewed (now about 3 weeks into the free promo) that GoGo went ahead and charged me another $35. I chatted with them and they said I bought a ongoing pass. Apparently that's what the "unlimited" is.

I called today and they refused to refund any of my money. So I'm stuck paying for this when its free for everyone else.

How many others got sucked into this scam?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

That was what DL did when the program rolled out last year. I have rec'd a few promo codes and the bandwidth was fine considering where you are.

With the freebie and a card at every seat to remind pax of this free service, there were a mad rush to grab the computer after the 10000f "ding" sounded.

My seatmate in 2A had a paid monthly pass and he was getting normal speed service when he logged in using his "account".

If I had paid and has to share now with the freebie users I would be upset too.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucycan

I was happily buying Delta 30 day passes about every 30 days. This was $30.

A few weeks before the "free for everyone" promo started I had to renew my monthly. Well this time they no longer offered a 30 day Delta. The ONLY options I had were a $13 daily or a $35 "unlimited" which I understood to be on ALL airlines (as opposed to just Delta). I didn't need it, but it was cheaper than buying daily passes.

So imagine my surprise when 30 days after I had renewed (now about 3 weeks into the free promo) that GoGo went ahead and charged me another $35. I chatted with them and they said I bought a ongoing pass. Apparently that's what the "unlimited" is.

I called today and they refused to refund any of my money. So I'm stuck paying for this when its free for everyone else.

How many others got sucked into this scam?
Unless they recently changed the wording (and I am pretty sure they did not), the purchase page makes it very clear that this is a recurring subscription:

Monthly, unlimited Internet on all Gogo equipped flights—our best value for frequent flyers. Starts immediately, renews automatically, cancel anytime.

I remember seeing that wording there months ago - so I think it is pretty unfair to call this a "scam".
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
The scam is they stopped selling the "non recurring" option right before they started giving it away for free. That locks you into the auto renew.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Our lips are sealed.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I've bought GoGo three to four times last year and was generally impressed. If I hadn't had this experience, this free promo would have turned me off on them. Their system is constantly maxed out and you have to use tricks to hold the signal which makes you a bandwith pig.
Tricks? What kind of tricks? Do share. How many DL pax using the free service read FT anyway?

Originally Posted by lucycan

. . .

. . .
Is there a cancellatio clause in the agreement?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Tricks? What kind of tricks? Do share. How many DL pax using the free service read FT anyway?

Is there a cancellatio clause in the agreement?
Recurring Charges. If you choose Gogo Unlimited, you agree that your credit card will automatically be charged by Aircell (through its payment card processing service provider) each month in your subscription. If you wish to terminate Gogo Unlimited and avoid a charge for a subsequent month, you must do so at least seven (7) days before the monthly renewal date of your subscription. (The monthly renewal date is the same day of the month that you first subscribed). Aircell will not send you a monthly statement. You may cancel Gogo Unlimited by contacting Aircell Customer Care (via phone: 1.877.350.0038 or email: [email protected]). If you revoke authorization to charge your card, or if for any reason your card issuer does not pay Aircell, Aircell may suspend the Service or terminate this Agreement.
Seems pretty clear to me.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Virtual credit cards, with limited-dollar limited-time, are wonderful for use in these situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.