Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Renaming MS Outlook contact fields?

Old Dec 16, 10, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have many contacts that have multiple cell numbers, Skype-in numbers, Google numbers, home numbers, apartment numbers, etc... in more than one country. When I go to enter this into Outlook as a contact I am offered a variety of outdated choices for the phones, who has a "car" phone anymore?

Is there a way to rename these fields, and how many of them display at a time when I am entering the data?
Old Dec 16, 10, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can set up a custom view under views and just have the fields you want to be displayed, but without buying additional software, I don't believe you can change the names of the them (Views, current View, New, and then select the fields you want)

There are Outlook Field Managers out there that say they will allow you to rename fields, but I have never used so I can't recommend one.
Old Dec 16, 10, 3:04 pm

If you intend on sync'ing the data with a phone, Blackberry, etc., here's a thought - field mapping.

Notwithstanding that you have renamed these fields, will they (whether in their original name or new name) map over to the device(s) you sync with. Some time ago, when I changed BBs (or maybe just changed sync software, can't recall), I realized that many of the "extra" numbers I had saved in various fields weren't transferring over. I think at this point I get "Work" "Home" "Cell/Mobile" "Fax" (just one, I think) mapped over and that's about it.

My solution was to start using each Contact's "Notes" Field for this extra information (e.g. "Beach House" "Skype Office Account" "Secretary's Phone" etc.) It's all there then, in a form you like. For me, at least so far, it all sync's over (and some of my notes are pretty long, with additional info like driving directions in the note field).

Granted on my BB, if someone is calling from one of these "extra" numbers that's just listed in the Notes field, their name doesn't show up in the phone's caller ID. But, I can live with that.

For folks with a lot of stuff, folks who I like to keep work/home/personal/etc. separate from each other or for folks who I'm aching to have all their numbers register in caller ID, I create separate entries such as Peterson, Randy (WORK) and Peterson, Randy (Personal). Each separate entry has the relevant information. This helps a bit with the caller ID situation by giving you, in this case, 2x the entry space. Indeed, for one buddy of mine, I have four entries - home, summer home, and two work listings.

I also use Notes as a free form entry tool for related things - e.g. In the each of my FF accounts entries, I keep info on certain important program rules, location of a lounge, etc. Yes, I use Evernote too. But, the contacts are always there in my BB even if I don't have net access.

And... no... I don't have entries for Randy Peterson.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: