Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

us ipad in australia? recomendations on good travel laptop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

us ipad in australia? recomendations on good travel laptop?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Only other thing is the Telestra has WPA security rather than WEP that Vodaphone has. Not clear if it supports HSPA or HSPA+ all over the world though and what the unlocking process is.

If it's straightforward, it might not be a bad way to get a Mifi, which aren't cheap unlocked.
They look to have similar capabilities:

The Testra device is a ZTE MF30 which does:
• WCDMA/HSDPA (2100/1900/850/900)MHz
• GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900MHz)
• 5.76Mbit/s HSUPA, 7.2Mbit/s HSDPA

Everyone else has devices from Huawei (E583c, E585, E5830). They have:
• HSPA/UMTS: 2100/900MHz
• EDGE/GPRS/GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
• 5.76Mbit/s HSUPA, 7.2Mbit/s HSDPA

So the Telstra device will give you HSPA on 850 and 1900, which is needed as Telstra's NextG is on 850. Outside of Australia, both should be fine.

I'm planning to go for the Optus mifi which is the E583c. It's OLED screen that gives a lot more information about what is going on than the Telstra device. It also has an external antenna jack, which could prove to be useful.

I believe everyone will be willing to unlock the device, with at worst a $75 fee. You might also be able to find cheaper unlocking methods online...
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are the 850 and 900 Mhz bands not used elsewhere?

Main concern about the Telstra is that it doesn't seem as likely to be unlocked through free means like the Huaweis.

Build quality and battery life are said to be inferior but the throughput and the WPA as well as web admin seems to be pluses.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:29 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by noam
I'm planning to go for the Optus mifi which is the E583c. It's OLED screen that gives a lot more information about what is going on than the Telstra device. It also has an external antenna jack, which could prove to be useful.
Having moved from Optus "YesG" with an external antenna to Telstra "NextG" without one - suffice to say no chance of going back.

Originally Posted by number_6
For serious use you need to get Telstra 3G
Careful - Telstra has some 2,100MHz 3G (aka TELSTRA3) in the major metropolitan areas (shared with 3), however you want 850MHz 3.5G (aka NextG).

NextG is vastly superior to anything else in Australia. Optus is passable, and as noted earlier, Vodafone is rubbish.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Unlocking fee for Telstra Wifi is $100.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by willyroo
Having moved from Optus "YesG" with an external antenna to Telstra "NextG" without one - suffice to say no chance of going back.
I have no reason to disagree. I went with Optus because my #1 goal was to get a wifi device I could use traveling outside of Australia. The fact that it gave me connectivity in Australia for trip was a bonus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.