Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

is it possible to network two laptops together wirelessly and play games on a plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it possible to network two laptops together wirelessly and play games on a plane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

is it possible to network two laptops together wirelessly and play games on a plane? thanks!
(one is sitting in business, while the other one is 7 rows back in coach... on A340, if that makes any difference)
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:09 pm

sure, why not? Create a wireless network on one, join that network on the other one.

Assuming they allow you to use wifi on board that flight/airline.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Which game? Some only allow you to play through one of their servers to filter out cheaters
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Or alternatively use a Bluetooth network for short distances, airline permitting of course.

If there is no 'trip' hazard then a crossover cable can provide a hard link.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Would this even be permitted? I thought all devices had to have their network functionality switched off in flight to prevent interference.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Would this even be permitted? I thought all devices had to have their network functionality switched off in flight to prevent interference.
That's going to be a tough sell considering airlines are selling wireless to people now, which obviously requires the wireless functions to be turned on
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
That's going to be a tough sell considering airlines are selling wireless to people now, which obviously requires the wireless functions to be turned on
AA now allows passengers to link their laptops via WiFi for a reasonable $20 per laptop per flight, or $50 for 30 days. It does not provide internet access of any kind... only linking between two laptops.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:07 pm
In Memoriam

Why would anybody pay when they could do it for free? $20 is not reasonable when free is better.

American does offer GoGo inflight internet on some flights. (since July of 2008)

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/gogo.jsp
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
It's "Possible"...

Yes, it's possible... You would want to set up what's known as an "Ad hoc" network between the two laptops. I cannot give you guidance on how to do it - google might be your friend. It will really depend on the OS of each laptop, etc.

I don't know anyone that has had much success with it, but it is possible...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
It works just fine. Have done it in a pinch between netbooks to play battleship. On a train, not a plane, but that doesn't make any difference. You just go to the properties of your wireless network adapter (easily found in Device Manager, or Control Panel, or Network & Sharing Center, or whatever OSX calls it) and change from Infrastructure to ad hoc. And configure both laptops to use the same network name (SSID). Don't even need to worry about IP's. If running Windows, both should self-assign a 169.x.x.x address (called APIPA, but that's not important) and see each other just fine.

But note that the ad hoc requirement in the IEEE standard for 802.11 variants is only 11Mbps. It's not fully spec'd out in the current standards so most WiFi adapters only support 11Mbps despite being 802.11g capable of 54Mbps. I have read but can't confirm that ad hoc with 802.11n adapters will run at 54Mbps (as opposed to up to 150Mbps in infrastructure mode).

Those speed limitations become and issue depending what kind of multiplayer gaming you intend to do.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
or whatever OSX calls it
It uses the very complicated name "Network Preferences".

And "Create Network..." for creating a wireless network.

-David
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Would have happily played Half Life multiplayer if I could have done a few years ago. Would have made journeys fly by in Y, it certainly made the hours disappear after work.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
I know this is a bit OT but my brother and I did this with two PSP's on a AA 777 transpacific flight. Raced via Need For Speed Underground against each other for a few hours. Great fun.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:19 am
In Memoriam

While they would probably frown if they knew you were doing this, there are a few wireless routers that are either battery powered or USB powered (either off the laptop or any of the usb battery packs out there) so you can just set your own network up on the go. Of course if you are on a plane with power ports it doesn't matter.

Not that I would ever recommend doing this , but if you set the network name to something everybody expects to see like Hhonors or the Free Wireless one, nobody will notice unless they are bright enough to notice it's not an adhoc one.

Instructions on setting up adhoc networking in

XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx

Vista
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ad-hoc-network

Windows 7 Starter Edition can not start an adhoc network, but it can join one.

Other versions of 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ad-hoc-network

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.