Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhone 4 WiFi Hotspot

iPhone 4 WiFi Hotspot

Old Dec 12, 10, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
iPhone 4 WiFi Hotspot

I think I know the answer to this one but thought it worth seeing if you clever lot had managed to find a way around this. I'd really like to use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, Kindle, etc. Aware that you can do this on android phones and, if I jailbreak my iPhone, I can get something called MyWi that does the same thing.

But, if I don't want the hassle of jailbreaking my phone, is there anyway I can do the same thing?
Old Dec 12, 10, 3:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by stueys View Post
I think I know the answer to this one but thought it worth seeing if you clever lot had managed to find a way around this. I'd really like to use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop, Kindle, etc. Aware that you can do this on android phones and, if I jailbreak my iPhone, I can get something called MyWi that does the same thing.

But, if I don't want the hassle of jailbreaking my phone, is there anyway I can do the same thing?
you can easily jailbreak your iphone and get MyWi. I've done it with my iphone 3g and iphone 4. Just have to make sure your current OS is jailbreakable.
Old Dec 12, 10, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hull22 View Post
you can easily jailbreak your iphone and get MyWi. I've done it with my iphone 3g and iphone 4. Just have to make sure your current OS is jailbreakable.
Thanks for that, naive question but are all the same apps still available once you jailbreak? Guessing app store is a no-no from that point....
Old Dec 12, 10, 3:36 pm

A jailbroken phone can fully access the Apple App Store. When the phone is jailbroken, you get access to a second rival app store from Cydia. You set up an account with Amazon Payments or Google Payments and buy programs from Cydia pretty much the same way you do from Apple. You also update your programs in pretty much the same way.

You can buy a tethering option from ATT but you have to give up your unlimited plan, downgrade to the $25 a month 2 gig plan and add on a $20 tethering plan. I'm not sure if you get a larger pool of data to draw from or not.

If you tether the ATT way, you are restricted to USB tethering, but I've heard that it is possible to connect some Cradlepoint type routers to an iPhone and connect to the net in this fashion. Cradlepoint says it can't be done, but I watched a rather resourceful friend do it:

http://knowledgebase.cradlepoint.com...28Tethering%29

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Dec 12, 10 at 3:44 pm
Old Dec 12, 10, 4:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For the jailbroken, I've had great experience with PDAnet
Old Dec 12, 10, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Some drawbacks to jailbrakes.

One of the things to check out before you do is if it's a "teathered" jailbrake, which means whenever you reboot you need your computer nearby which is less than ideal for traveling. Also note there can be minor problems caused by the jailbrake. For example when I jailbroke my iphone 4 skype didn't work and needed a patch to work. So you'll want to do some research first and be prepared to fiddle for a little bit.

That said it was a huge money saver for me as I travelled europe for about 6 weeks this sumer, while most of the hotels had wifi there was 10 days on a cruise where it was super pricey (and SLOW). Since I had unlimited international roaming (no longer offered) I didn't worry about data. Now when I travel domestically I don't worry too much about having WiFi (though I don't use it unless I really need to as I'm worried about getting shut off).
Old Dec 13, 10, 3:47 am

Trade up for an EVO
Old Dec 13, 10, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice all, I'm playing with Jail breaking come the weekend....
Old Dec 13, 10, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
You can tether a Macbook to an iPhone over BT.
You can get a mifi like the one from 3 in the UK, unlock it (Zibri) and use it to provide wifi to a laptop and kindle, iPad etc.
Annoyingly you cannot tether an iPad to an iPhone or if you can I'd like to know how, without JB.
Old Dec 13, 10, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jastevenson View Post
Trade up for an EVO
Or trade up like Rachael Ray and do EVOO!
Old Dec 13, 10, 3:09 pm

Go to modmyi.com and read up, it is the best iphone community. I have my iphone4 jailbroken, and run mywi quite a bit when over at a friends house that doesn't have wifi. It works great, and is surprisingly fast. Make sure you have unlimited data though!

Also, if you want, you can install another "app store" besides the apple app store and cydia called install0us (that's about all I can say about it here though).
Old Dec 13, 10, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by spinjockey View Post
One of the things to check out before you do is if it's a "teathered" jailbrake, which means whenever you reboot you need your computer nearby which is less than ideal for traveling. Also note there can be minor problems caused by the jailbrake. For example when I jailbroke my iphone 4 skype didn't work and needed a patch to work. So you'll want to do some research first and be prepared to fiddle for a little bit.

That said it was a huge money saver for me as I travelled europe for about 6 weeks this sumer, while most of the hotels had wifi there was 10 days on a cruise where it was super pricey (and SLOW). Since I had unlimited international roaming (no longer offered) I didn't worry about data. Now when I travel domestically I don't worry too much about having WiFi (though I don't use it unless I really need to as I'm worried about getting shut off).
That is why I haven't upgraded my 3gs to iOS4.2. That said, I think the current tethered jailbreak for iOS4 allows your phone to reboot without a computer, but you can't access the alternate apps. They appeared as just gray bland icons.
Old Dec 13, 10, 5:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Also, if you want, you can install another "app store" besides the apple app store and cydia called install0us (that's about all I can say about it here though).
http://www.install0us.com/

But

Install0us This is over
Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 11:42 PM | Posted by puy0
Oh yeah, if you are reading this... The server is gone.
No more forums, cydia repository, damn that was fun, I'm sad.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: