Solar Chargers

Old Dec 11, 10, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat, SPG Plat
Solar Chargers

So I did a search and nothing came back within the past year or comparing various products. I'm looking to get my man a solar charger for Christmas as a honeymoon prep gift. We'll be in various "off the grid" locations in Ethiopia, Nepal, Tibet, etc but want to keep cameras charged!

Does anyone have any experience - positive or negative - with the various solar chargers out there? The one that pops up the most in general web searches is the SOLIO, but with an unprotected back I'd be concerned about the panels being damaged.

Anyone have some insight into this or other solar chargers that work well?
Old Dec 11, 10, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Solio will work - but it'll take 3 days to charge a phone. Those three tiny panels deliver such a small charge that it can't do too much.

If you want one that can charge a phone "in real time", consider a panel from Goal Zero. Their Nomad 7 is a dual panel charger that delivers 12V and USB power. It is on sale for $99 and comes with a free rechargeable speaker worth $40. I've tested it, and even in the winter sun, I fully recharged a 3G phone in a little under 2 hours - so imagine what it'll do in the Ethiopian sun.

http://www.goal0.com/tv/?utm_source=...mpaign=Hppromo

Last edited by ScottC; Dec 16, 10 at 8:07 am
Old Dec 12, 10, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks! That's the type of charger I am looking for. As we want to keep cameras charged, it'll draw more juice and need something with a bit of gusto.
Old Dec 13, 10, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way OP, just want to say that's some good advance-thinking there.
Old Dec 13, 10, 3:56 pm

I've got the Globetrotter Pro pack, and while it doesn't quite discharge in real time, the CamCaddy is perfect for charging up one battery while the other is in use.
Old Dec 15, 10, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
By the way OP, just want to say that's some good advance-thinking there.
Well, thanks, but I'll take the comment tongue in cheek as I only just ordered the charger today....and had to pay extra for expedited shipping!! I went with the Goal0 Nomad. I hope he likes it! Thanks again for the input!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: