Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is the best sound isolating headset ?(screaming children)

Old Dec 5, 10, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD

I am a baby magnet in need of some relief - all of my recent flights had screaming children/babies right behind me, on the same row or even right next to me.
I've tried several types of earplugs, but no luck. I understand noise-canceling will not help with that type of noise, only noise isolating like Shure or Etymotic.
Has anyone used one of those (or others) that could recommend?
Many thanks.
Old Dec 5, 10, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't mind the $200 price tag, I can highly recommend the Future Sonics Atrio headphones.
Old Dec 5, 10, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Talking

You're from Texas, so first put in a set of good quality foam earplugs and don your eye protection, then produce your handgun of choice and...

Only kidding, folks. I'm from Texas myself, so I thought I'd just perpetuate a myth.

To answer the question, I have a set of Sony MDC-NC40s which I think work fine. They are reasonably priced and pack much smaller than anything you're likely to hear from the BOSEers (Buy anOther Sound systEm) et al.

If the crying baby is right next to you, I'm not sure there really is a solution, other than the aforementioned foam protectors which are effective, cheap and socially acceptable at the gun range as well as on the plane. The dB ratings of the foam plugs often surpass more expensive solutions.

Sorry for the flippancy, but I hope this helps.
Old Dec 5, 10, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As you noted, Shure and Etymotic are the top choices, IMHO, for noise blocking with audio. Obviously, some 33NRR foam plugs would be best for total isolation. Covering either with a pair of some muffs would be slightly more effective, but a bit of overkill.
Old Dec 5, 10, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
As you noted, Shure and Etymotic are the top choices, IMHO, for noise blocking with audio. Obviously, some 33NRR foam plugs would be best for total isolation. Covering either with a pair of some muffs would be slightly more effective, but a bit of overkill.
Used to be a big fan of both brands - but found the sound quality lacking in their middle class headphones, which is why I switched to the Future Sonics.
Old Dec 5, 10, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Used to be a big fan of both brands - but found the sound quality lacking in their middle class headphones, which is why I switched to the Future Sonics.
Scott, are you comparing the FS set to the Enty ER-6 or the ER-4?

I have the ER-4Ps. My listening is 100% vocal classical music, and I find the clarity of the Entys to be extraordinary (especially in concerted passages when the singers are contending with loud orchestral outbursts, but also in quieter passages).
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
If you want something cheaper, try Koss "Sparkplugs" -- basic earbuds embedded inside foam earplugs. I use them to listen to podcasts on the subway (which is always noisy for one reason or another), and they work pretty darn well for $20. The sound quality is not that great (think freebie iPod earbuds) but if you just want to listen to white noise, podcasts or soft music while blocking out ambient noise, they aren't bad at all.
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:04 am

Programs: Hyatt, AA
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Obviously, some 33NRR foam plugs would be best for total isolation. Covering either with a pair of some muffs would be slightly more effective, but a bit of overkill.
Where are these available? Any brands better than others? I'd be in for a gross. I fly to India a lot, and there's invariably new parents on board who are taking kids to meet the family.
Old Dec 6, 10, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
Where are these available? Any brands better than others? I'd be in for a gross. I fly to India a lot, and there's invariably new parents on board who are taking kids to meet the family.
This is the type of foam earplug I referred to in my earlier post. They can be found at most hardware stores and, of course, gun stores. The noise reduction rating (NRR) is supposed to be clearly listed on any product sold for this purpose. I don't know if any brand is better, as long as they meet the spec.
Old Dec 6, 10, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA
Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo View Post
This is the type of foam earplug I referred to in my earlier post. They can be found at most hardware stores and, of course, gun stores. The noise reduction rating (NRR) is supposed to be clearly listed on any product sold for this purpose. I don't know if any brand is better, as long as they meet the spec.
Not too many gun stores in HYD . Looks like I'll have to suffer on my way back. India's not too big on guns. or workplace safety for that matter..... (at least AFAIK) *dons flame vest*
Old Dec 6, 10, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Google "33 NRR ear plugs" - you'll come up with several options, including Amazon.

I can't personally vouch for any, but MrsCPRich used to be a product manager for industrial hearing protection and I know Howard Leight was a brand name she often brought home for use, comparison, etc. At $2.99 for 20 and other lot sizes at similar unit prices, it's hard to go wrong.

Hardware stores would probably the best bet if you are local locally.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 6, 10 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 6, 10, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
Not too many gun stores in HYD . Looks like I'll have to suffer on my way back. India's not too big on guns. or workplace safety for that matter..... (at least AFAIK) *dons flame vest*
I don't know HYD, but I've spent some fair time in India. I understand your point, but if you can find a hardware store with a grasp of English, they may have some earplugs cornered away somewhere. I can't vouch for the product labeling standards that might apply, though.

Have a safe trip in any case!
Old Dec 7, 10, 7:25 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Shure

I really loved my Shure E5c and then my SCL5 (I think they're almost the same except the SCL5's were marketed for music professionals.) Depending on your ipod/mp3 settings, it would usually cancel or isolate all noises about midway through the volume settings. So typically I wouldn't hear the drone of the engines. Whereas using a regular ipod earphones, I could probably not cancel out the noise at any volume.

Oh why did I have both? I sat on my E5c and broke off one of the earpieces. I was pretty distraught, but I sent it back to Shure within two years and they sent me back the SCL5 with no questions asked. I couldn't believe that.

Anyhow, on a recent flight from LAS, FA thought I was too drunk to fly and I ended up leaving my earphones on the plane. My buddy was sitting right behind me and I didn't get a chance to let him know to look for my things because I didn't know I was getting kicked off. It was pretty disappointing all around. So I lost my SCL5 and I don't know if I want to spend $500 (I paid $350) for the equivalent today. There are other things I would rather spend my money on (i.e. camera equipment.) I do miss them and I would recommend them if you have the money.
Old Dec 7, 10, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold (1MM), SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I have been using the Etymotic Research 4 S/P for a while now, and I'd say they are excellent at blocking out ambient sound and providing incredible sound quality. Now, I haven't used them with a baby right next to me, but a row or two away has not been an issue in my experience.
Old Dec 7, 10, 8:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
I am addicted to the Etymotic HF-2, especially on the airplane.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: