FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Any news about a new Google phone due this month? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1154707-any-news-about-new-google-phone-due-month.html)

bigguyinpasadena Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Any news about a new Google phone due this month?

A friend who has a bit of an inside view told me to wait a few more weeks before investing in the G2 via Tmobile as a new Google phone will be out shortly.
I did not ask and he did not tell me anything more ;)
Any watercooler buzz?

glennaa11 Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Isn't the G2 the "new Google phone"? I have a Nexus One and frankly after how poorly that turned out it is hard to imagine Google putting out another phone of their own.

ScottC Nov 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Not really an "inside view" as the Nexus Two, or Nexus S has been leaked all over the place. It is rumored to be a new version of their Galaxy lineup, curved back, dual core processor, 8MP camera.

Not a bad device, but not that much more than is on offer on a G2 or MyTouch 4G.

As for the Nexus One - it really did not turn out "poorly" for Google - they sold out of all the inventory, and was/is a very desirable device.

GadgetFreak Nov 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by ScottC
Not really an "inside view" as the Nexus Two, or Nexus S has been leaked all over the place. It is rumored to be a new version of their Galaxy lineup, curved back, dual core processor, 8MP camera.

Not a bad device, but not that much more than is on offer on a G2 or MyTouch 4G.

As for the Nexus One - it really did not turn out "poorly" for Google - they sold out of all the inventory, and was/is a very desirable device.

I saw someplace taking preorders on the Nexus S. So yep, not really a secret. But
then again neither is anything that has run through the State Department in the last couple decades :)

AviatorAce Nov 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 15355264)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I saw someplace taking preorders on the Nexus S. So yep, not really a secret. But
then again neither is anything that has run through the State Department in the last couple decades :)

:) That's true!

If you are interested in upcoming phones, visit Phone Arena. They try to keep current with "soon to be released" cell phones for each company. Just note, that their data is mostly speculation on many phones and can change at any time.

tenmoc Dec 3, 2010 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 15354582)

Good point Scott about the Nexus One not being such a flop the media makes it out to be.

The one thing that will make the Nexus Two more desirable than any other android phone is that you can count on getting the OS updates before anyone else.

BobbySteel Dec 3, 2010 8:54 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 15354461)
Isn't the G2 the "new Google phone"? I have a Nexus One and frankly after how poorly that turned out it is hard to imagine Google putting out another phone of their own.

Why do you say poorly? It's a pretty good handset. The newest OS updates make it run pretty solidly.

pseudoswede Dec 6, 2010 2:18 pm

December 16th release. $529 unlocked through Best Buy; $199 through T-Mobile with 2-year agreement.

Google

Tech Crunch review

Paul79UF Dec 6, 2010 9:26 pm

This is a little off topic, but I just read about some new Qualcomm 1.3 Ghz and dual core phone processors coming out soon.

So the awesome 1ghz snapdragon processor in most new Android phones will be old news pretty soon. Should make them cheaper for those of us still looking to get one.

bigguyinpasadena Dec 7, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks pseudoswede=it look exciting!
http://gizmodo.com/5707392/5-reasons...yline=true&s=i

A little dear-wonder when the price will come down?

LessO2 Dec 7, 2010 7:46 am

Hands-on review of the Nexus S.

LessO2 Dec 7, 2010 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Paul79UF (Post 15396324)
So the awesome 1ghz snapdragon processor in most new Android phones will be old news pretty soon. Should make them cheaper for those of us still looking to get one.

I always laugh at the names...."snapdragon" --- ooh, cool name, it MUST be all of that and a hill of beans. All according to the blogosphere and the people who comment on it.

"Hummingbird" is the newer processor (in iPhones and the new Nexus S).

wco81 Dec 7, 2010 9:07 am

Early verdict seems to be that it's as good as any Android phone out there but two expected features did not pan out, HSPA+ support and dual-core processor.

Some griping also about no microSD card slot.

ScottC Dec 8, 2010 8:20 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 15398982)
Early verdict seems to be that it's as good as any Android phone out there but two expected features did not pan out, HSPA+ support and dual-core processor.

Some griping also about no microSD card slot.

Quite frankly, I find it a disappointing phone. On paper, the MyTouch 4G actually seems like a better choice.

tev9999 Dec 8, 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 15398304)
Thanks pseudoswede=it look exciting!
http://gizmodo.com/5707392/5-reasons...yline=true&s=i

A little dear-wonder when the price will come down?

I highly doubt the price will come down, at least until it is in refub/discontinued land. This is exactly the same price the Nexus One was released at. More likely it will become obsolete in a year or so and the Nexus "Three" will be released at a similar price point.

It is kind of underwhelming IMO. I have no desire for video chat, so the second camera does nothing for me. Having had two warranty replacements on my N1, it was nice to not have to copy all my music each time - just swap the microSD, which is no longer possible.

Hopefully my Nexus One lives another year or more until the third generation, unlocked, pure-Android phone is released.