Search

New MacBook Airs announced including a new, smaller screen model

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
New MacBook Airs announced including a new, smaller screen model

I have been waiting for a while to upgrade. I have one of the first generation models. Now I cant decide whether to get the smaller, lighter model or the 13 inch model The 13 inch one, in addition to having a larger screen has a longer life battery.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Still no model with a built-in optical drive. Looks like I'll be waiting a few more years for a light, full-featured MacBook.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
Still no model with a built-in optical drive. Looks like I'll be waiting a few more years for a light, full-featured MacBook.
I doubt they will ever do one. And I dont want one in the Air. It adds weight. I have had a Mac Air since they were announced and dont notice the lack of an optical drive. I bought one just in case but found that I basically never use it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess all those years of ignoring the netbook market finally came back to bite them

Gorgeous little machine, but $1000 is quite pricey. I can get a top of the line m11x for that kind of money.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Then why not just get the MacBook Pro? It's only ~1.5 lbs heavier.

FWIW, I don't really understand why an optical drive would be mandatory, but I understand that everyone has their own requirements.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:35 pm

They're compelling for me. I like the new "instant start up" concept. One of the reasons I was thinking about an iPad (Wifi only) was for "home" use for the quick web search, email send, etc. that I could grab and it would be "on" rather than starting up my old desktop computer (in another room, less convenient space) or laptop computer. Indeed, before the iPad, I was thinking about a cheap netbook for the same reason (just leave it on an plugged in, it's practically a disposable so who cares about the battery). So, ScottC, I guess Apple has come around.

Admittedly, one of these new models is a significant buy up from an iPad but you're getting a full fledged machine (for me and my needs, at least) rather than the stripped down iPad (which would certainly work for me and my house too).

Re: the [Dell Alienware] m11x - I'll admit I had to look that up. Hauntingly interesting.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Oct 20, 2010 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
I guess all those years of ignoring the netbook market finally came back to bite them

Gorgeous little machine, but $1000 is quite pricey. I can get a top of the line m11x for that kind of money.
The Alienware is about twice the weight of the 11 inch Mac Air and almost 50% more than the 13 inch. I use notebooks for document processing, email web, spreadsheets and presentations. I like the MacOS rather than PC but apart from that, $999 is pretty reasonable compared to other things in that size/weight class such as Sony and Panasonic.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Sure, they're pretty, but I have a nice little $300 netbook that is just as capable with better battery life. Apple gets a lot of things right, but pricing their run of the mill computers is not one of them.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The Alienware is about twice the weight of the 11 inch Mac Air and almost 50% more than the 13 inch. I use notebooks for document processing, email web, spreadsheets and presentations. I like the MacOS rather than PC but apart from that, $999 is pretty reasonable compared to other things in that size/weight class such as Sony and Panasonic.
To me - that kind of weight is negligible. 1.8KG for the m11x and 1.05KG for the Air -that is just such a small difference that I wouldn't even notice it on the road. Then again, I've never been a light traveler.

Also, once you upgrade to 4GB and 1.6GHz, you are looking at $1400 -I'd never argue that this isn't a gorgeous machine, but that price is just crazy. For $300 more you've got yourself a Vaio Z or a top of the line HP Elitebook, both with much higher specs. But yes - if you are looking for the lightest good looking option available, and every kilo counts, then Apple is a clear winner.

I'm disappointed mobile broadband isn't an option, that is pretty much standard in this price range.

And finally - battery life is just 5 hours on the 11" - which is very, very disappointing. When even Nokia managed to pull >10 hours out of their Booklet.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me - that kind of weight is negligible. 1.8KG for the m11x and 1.05KG for the Air -that is just such a small difference that I wouldn't even notice it on the road. Then again, I've never been a light traveler.

Also, once you upgrade to 4GB and 1.6GHz, you are looking at $1400 -I'd never argue that this isn't a gorgeous machine, but that price is just crazy. For $300 more you've got yourself a Vaio Z or a top of the line HP Elitebook, both with much higher specs. But yes - if you are looking for the lightest good looking option available, and every kilo counts, then Apple is a clear winner.

I'm disappointed mobile broadband isn't an option, that is pretty much standard in this price range.

And finally - battery life is just 5 hours on the 11" - which is very, very disappointing. When even Nokia managed to pull >10 hours out of their Booklet.
Apple also removed the SD slot on the 11" model. The new Airs are indeed gorgeous and while they are I suppose a great lifestyle status product they just aren't a very good tool in terms of price and performance.

What is strange - or would be for anyone other that Apple - is that with just a few small tweaks and additions, and a price drop, the Air could be a nice little machine and yes, I know, they still sell a lot of them.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Then why not just get the MacBook Pro? It's only ~1.5 lbs heavier.
1.5 lbs doesn't sound like much, but it's 50% heavier than my 5-year-old Sony laptop (which has everything, including an optical drive). I'd like to stay under 3 lbs, and but for the lack of optical drive, the Air would be perfect.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I am a light traveler so it matters, especially if it is in a backpack. I very much agree about the battery life though. I was expecting 10 hours.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:47 pm

Seems like Apple is moving to eliminate the optical drive in the near future and replace it with content from the internet. iTunes instead of CDs and DVDs, the Mac App Store instead of software discs. The new MacBooks Airs come with a USB flash drive to reload OS X.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
new Mac Air Ethernet solution?

I like the new Mac Air, but as someone who travels a lot, I encounter too many hotels and offices that do not have WiFi. So I have to have an Ethernet port. Is there some kind of USB/Ethernet solution out there?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by stimpy
I like the new Mac Air, but as someone who travels a lot, I encounter too many hotels and offices that do not have WiFi. So I have to have an Ethernet port. Is there some kind of USB/Ethernet solution out there?
Yes apple sells an adaptor. Have from the beginning. Works fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.