Wiki Posts
Search

Turning off the NEW Kindle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Turning off the NEW Kindle

Just got in my NEW kindle and it is amazing. I have started the addiuction, but one question:

How do I turn it off? It does not say anything about turning off in the manual so what do I do on flights.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
oh that is soooooooo cool! mine is coming in next week! I can't wait. no more carrying around multiple books when traveling!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
no paranoia involved -- just wanted to know if it goes completely off. Nowadays, the FA announces to SHUT OFF all electronic devices and e-readers also. Just wanted to know how to shut it down completely.

thanks for the help.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaggie
no paranoia involved -- just wanted to know if it goes completely off. Nowadays, the FA announces to SHUT OFF all electronic devices and e-readers also. Just wanted to know how to shut it down completely.

thanks for the help.
I usually just close my Kindle case and put it away. Or I just keep on reading. Nobody seems to care either way.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:28 pm

I usually just close my Kindle case and put it away. Or I just keep on reading. Nobody seems to care either way.
As long as wifi/3g turned off, closing the kindle case and putting away is the best way. It actually turns off automatically if not used for 5-10 minutes.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dtsm
As long as wifi/3g turned off, closing the kindle case and putting away is the best way. It actually turns off automatically if not used for 5-10 minutes.
No it doesn't - it changes to a screensaver-type image, but anyone looking at it would certainly think it was off.

The e-ink screens do not use power unless changing pages, provided the wireless radio is off. That's why it switches to this mode and can leave an image on the screen.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
No it doesn't - it changes to a screensaver-type image, but anyone looking at it would certainly think it was off.

The e-ink screens do not use power unless changing pages, provided the wireless radio is off. That's why it switches to this mode and can leave an image on the screen.
In fact, you can completely remove the screen from the device and the image remains intact. Kind of like tearing a page out of a book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.