Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Usage of Netflix Streaming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:20 am
aly

Originally Posted by 601
Yes, it is unbelievably easy - you just select the VPN as the WAN connection, enter the supplied server, username and password and all the traffic through the router goes through an american IP address.

The speeds actually vary greatly - but I have never had much difficulty with Netflix other than the odd buffering delay.
using a DLink 655 with a BELL 25Mbps modem, will have to try this soon.
thks again for the info.!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can this be used to download books from Amazon? I don't think they let you download unless you are in the US (from AmazonUS--I've never tried a foreign Amazon).
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by manneca
Can this be used to download books from Amazon? I don't think they let you download unless you are in the US (from AmazonUS--I've never tried a foreign Amazon).
Yes, VPN can be used to do anything that you would ordinarily only be able to do from the USA.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:00 am

Thanks! I'll check it out!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by aly
using a DLink 655 with a BELL 25Mbps modem, will have to try this soon.
thks again for the info.!
I have two,

A D-Link DIR-615 and a WRT54GL, while the D-Link with DD-WRT doesn't support OpenVPN, I like the way DD-WRT does L2TP better than OpenVPN.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:52 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
witopia has worked well with me in Mexico

I can watch it via vpn, or via my slingbox that has the blu-ray with netflix
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:09 pm
aly

Originally Posted by 601
I have two,

A D-Link DIR-615 and a WRT54GL, while the D-Link with DD-WRT doesn't support OpenVPN, I like the way DD-WRT does L2TP better than OpenVPN.
i do have an old WRT that i had flashed to tomatoe last year but never used; and also have a linux version of same; how should i go about my installation to have the best option(s); speed and flexibility ie VPN & Hulu etc.

Originally Posted by jfe
witopia has worked well with me in Mexico

I can watch it via vpn, or via my slingbox that has the blu-ray with netflix
you r slinging netflix or just streaming netflix directly?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by alanh
The VPN is sort of like the old expatriate standby, the mail forwarding service, which would work for Netflix physical DVDs.

You give Netflix an address in the US. As far as they know, that's where you get your mail. They mail a DVD there. Someone at that location puts it in another envelope and mails it overseas to you. When you're done, you mail it back to your forwarding service. They take it out of the international envelope and put the Netflix envelope in the US mail. Netflix has no way of knowing you're overseas.

Exactly the same thing happens with a VPN. The data from Netflix goes to a network address located in the US. That site forwards the data to your overseas address, and forwards data you send back.
* Thanks for the easy to understand explanation!

Originally Posted by bp888
I signed up for a VPNOD account at vpnnod.com. I followed the super-easy instructions on how to set it up on my Mac. And in a matter of minutes I now have the VPN icon on my menu bar and let's me connect. I turn it on while surfing at home and it's working. Yay!
* So - if I understand the above correctly, I should be able to set this up & it only runs if I click on the icon (ie, doesn't screw up my normal ATTUverse access to i-net on my laptop)?

If that's the case I should then be able to stream Netflix films to my laptop when I'm in AMS next month? That would be great, as I have an annual 9-day biz trip there & am in the hotel a lot in the evenings, or later in the evenings, & watching BBC or Skynews or Eurosport gets boring after a while.

Cheers.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:53 pm

I have used hotspot vpn (www.hotspotvpn.com) for years -- works on the Netflix issue great. Also wonderful if you are in a country that blocks VOIP services.

As a security geek -- you should also use it when you are on any hotel network - wired or otherwise.

Happy viewing.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:45 pm

how is the video quality of Netflix HD streaming when routed through VPN, accessed from a hotel room in Berlin?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:56 pm

VPN for iPad?

I downloaded HotspotVPN and it seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro. However, I'm finding some apps work fine (Bloomberg, USA Today) and others fail to resolve the server (GoodReader, DropBox) on my iPad.

Anyone use HotspotVPN on an iPad?

Anyone having success with other VPN on their iPAd?

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:36 am

With a US billing address, I have no problems downloading kindle or amazon mp3 files from abroad. Make sure to log in to your account first though and perhaps clear your cookies if you have been denied before. Good luck.

Originally Posted by manneca
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by RTPA
I have used hotspot vpn (www.hotspotvpn.com) for years -- works on the Netflix issue great. Also wonderful if you are in a country that blocks VOIP services.

As a security geek -- you should also use it when you are on any hotel network - wired or otherwise.

Happy viewing.
Some countries require VPN user licenses, but I haven't run into that much actual blocking of VPNs. Dubai blocks PPTP VPNs in Etisilat hotspots, but not for home subscribers. IPSec runs into less blocking. It is hard to be business friendly and block VPNs. I've also connected in Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, and China which have theoretical problems with VPNs. I understand from a friend who used to work in Iran a fair amount that he got through as well.

I haven't tried really locked down countries like Burma or North Korea (probably because I haven't been to those countries) but imagine what little internet you could get their would really only be an extended propaganda net.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Aspirapolvere
With a US billing address, I have no problems downloading kindle or amazon mp3 files from abroad. Make sure to log in to your account first though and perhaps clear your cookies if you have been denied before. Good luck.
I can't remember where I was, but I was blocked. Got a message saying I couldn't download from whereever it was. It might have been China. Could have been a China problem, not an Amazon problem. I download to my iPhone, not a Kindle. Thinking of getting an iPad.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:33 am
aly

Originally Posted by Cobijonz
I downloaded HotspotVPN and it seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro. However, I'm finding some apps work fine (Bloomberg, USA Today) and others fail to resolve the server (GoodReader, DropBox) on my iPad.

Anyone use HotspotVPN on an iPad?

Anyone having success with other VPN on their iPAd?

Thanks.
using vpnod and works on wifi and 3G..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.