Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Calendar question

Calendar question

Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Calendar question

Looking for a way a group of people can send SELECTED calendar events to a group shared calendar. The group is a busy assortment of technicians, salesmen, and execs. The shared calendar is needed for planning and scheduling by office personnel.

The office has an Exchange Server (2003), and everybody maintains their own calendar in Outlook and on iPhones. They each have tons of personal stuff in their calendars, hence the desire to tag selected calendar events for uploading.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Get people to put their personal stuff in their own calendars! With a decent client you can get a multi calendar view.

All my work stuff is in my corporate calendar, all the other stuff is in Google. I can see my wife's and my Google calendars (+tripcase + others) in my iphone and on Sunbird.

If I don't want business to see what I'm doing, I don't put it it.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can create a shared calendar in Exchange. Or at least, your IT admin can.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Indeed you can. Sorry, I'm probably not explaining the problem very well. The execs, especially the company CEO, are out of the office a large portion of the time. They live by their iPhone calendars. Is it possible for an iPhone to sync with 2 Outlook/Exchange calendars and keep them separate on the iPhone? The learning curve has to be very gentle for these folks.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by deubster
Indeed you can. Sorry, I'm probably not explaining the problem very well. The execs, especially the company CEO, are out of the office a large portion of the time. They live by their iPhone calendars. Is it possible for an iPhone to sync with 2 Outlook/Exchange calendars and keep them separate on the iPhone? The learning curve has to be very gentle for these folks.
iOS4 supposedly can handle more than one Exchange server, so yes they should be able to do this on their iPhones. Do not have experience though, other than someone showing me in iOS4 how two Exchange servers can be entered. Not sure how the calendars might display.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a question of multiple exchange servers, but rather multiple calendars on the iPhone. Or, in other words, can the iPhone show multiple calendars at once? I know the Blackberry can.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's not a question of multiple exchange servers, but rather multiple calendars on the iPhone. Or, in other words, can the iPhone show multiple calendars at once? I know the Blackberry can.
The iPhone can show entries from multiple calendars in a single calendar presentation. It differentiates which calendar the entry is from based on colored dots. So I have my business calendar from my Outlook and my husband's calendar from Google.

What the OP may want, which I am not sure that Outlook 2003 can deliver, is not just a common work calendar, but also indication on that calendar by person, i.e., not just a meeting with Tom at 10 am but that it is Joe meeting with Tom. On my Outlook 2003, we can see separate calendars displayed side-by-side, but I am not aware of a way (such as using separate colors as on Google or the iPhone) to differentiate those entries on a single calendar.

If this is indeed what the OP wants, then using Google calendar maybe the best option, with a Google calendar for each person for work and another one for home, with the work Calendars available to all and the home calendars available only to the person who created it. This calendar can be easily synced with the iPhone running ios4, even if Outlook is also syncing e-mail using Exchange.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.