Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by stijnec
take a Vodafone prepaid SIM with YOU bundle, which you can use in the EU without additional charge. It seems VF have 4g coverage in Posterholt as well

https://www.vodafone.nl/shop/mobiel/prepaid/ (in Dutch)
Thanks. With the help of Google Translate, I think that sounds good. Even 3G coverage is fine. I'll find a Vodafone store when I arrive.

Do I need ID to buy a SIM card in Netherlands? We do, here in Australia. But I was surprised when I went to UK that they do not.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
I believe not. Sim can also be purchased from Albert Heijn grocery store, which can be found everywhere. Sims are displayed at the cash register
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by stijnec
I believe not. Sim can also be purchased from Albert Heijn grocery store, which can be found everywhere. Sims are displayed at the cash register
Ok. Thanks very much for your help. It's not as if I could just go into a shop and read their brochures. :-)
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:47 am

Looking for some advice, we will shortly be travelling to the Netherlands, followed by France for a few days - we would like to get just one SIM, rather than buying something in NL, then buying another. Is there any provider who is recommended over the others for this?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Vodafone offers prepaid data which is valid in the EU
https://www.vodafone.nl/shop/mobiel/...im-you-l.shtml

Recently they also opened 4g to prepaid customers. All together a very cost effective choice
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I have on the Vodafone NL sims which I used on a recent trip to Europe. It worked fine for the first ten days and I even reloaded it once but at some point it just stopped working (when I really needed it the most actually). Facebook and Twitter support were not able to help me.

Fdw
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:17 am

I'll be coming to the Netherlands regularly about once every month or so. I don't expect to need much data on each trip since I'll only be there a few days and will mostly be places with wifi, but it would be good to have some mobile data coverage while out and about. Are there any plans that would let me buy a bundle of data that I could top off every few months? Almost everything I've found so far is 30 days or less.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:47 pm

I've recommended this to others who fly to Europe and travel within the EU frequently. I purchased a Orange Holiday Sim. It's pretty cheap to pick up on Amazon for ~$40 and includes prime delivery. It's good for two weeks of travel and can be topped up with more data/voice in 20€ increments if you go longer or go over your data limit. I bought one about a year and a half ago and used it in France and Belgium and have subsequently used it in Spain and the UK. To keep it active past the two weeks you need to complete the registration form and mail it when you arrive in Europe. I filled out mine before arriving and once I got the phone number (delivered when you turn on the phone with the sim in it the first time) and mailed the card when I landed. No postage needed if mailed in France. To keep it active you need to do a top up every 6 months.

Data packages are pretty cheap, 20€ gives you 5GB of Data, 500 SMS, and 1 hour of calling worldwide. Data speeds have usually been 4G/LTE for me on an unlocked iPhone 6+. Be sure to make sure your phone is compatible with where you're going and that it's unlocked by the carrier.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
I have the same SIM, which worked (after much consternation) through a long trip in France and a few days in the UK. HOWEVER, I understand one has to top up at an Orange Store. My next trip is to the Netherlands, not France. Are you able to top yours up online or outside of France? How? Thanks for the help -- we leave in a week or so and I'd love to just top it up and use it in the Netherlands.
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I've recommended this to others who fly to Europe and travel within the EU frequently. I purchased a Orange Holiday Sim. It's pretty cheap to pick up on Amazon for ~$40 and includes prime delivery. It's good for two weeks of travel and can be topped up with more data/voice in 20€ increments if you go longer or go over your data limit. I bought one about a year and a half ago and used it in France and Belgium and have subsequently used it in Spain and the UK. To keep it active past the two weeks you need to complete the registration form and mail it when you arrive in Europe. I filled out mine before arriving and once I got the phone number (delivered when you turn on the phone with the sim in it the first time) and mailed the card when I landed. No postage needed if mailed in France. To keep it active you need to do a top up every 6 months.

Data packages are pretty cheap, 20€ gives you 5GB of Data, 500 SMS, and 1 hour of calling worldwide. Data speeds have usually been 4G/LTE for me on an unlocked iPhone 6+. Be sure to make sure your phone is compatible with where you're going and that it's unlocked by the carrier.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
I have the same SIM, which worked (after much consternation) through a long trip in France and a few days in the UK. HOWEVER, I understand one has to top up at an Orange Store. My next trip is to the Netherlands, not France. Are you able to top yours up online or outside of France? How? Thanks for the help -- we leave in a week or so and I'd love to just top it up and use it in the Netherlands.
You do not need to top up at the orange store. You can go to here:

https://topup.orange.com/

And top up your card online. To top up your card at the store you need to go to an Orange store in France. I tried buying a top up in Belgium and was told only French stores can do this or online. I have had no issue topping up online other than my Chase MP Visa doesn't like to let charges from Orange go through. My Charles Schwab Visa has never had a problem.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Am I understanding this correctly?

Lebara offers a prepaid SIM with the physical SIM free and I can top-up 15 euro and get a package that includes 500 minutes (domestic/international) and 2 GB of data?

If so, where in AMS can I pick up a SIM?

Do they have reliable coverage and decent data speeds? Will only be in Amsterdam and region.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by abcdabcd
Does anybody know of a place online where I could purchase the Netherlands Vodafone prepaid sim card? I only found one on ebay but, it cost $20 when the same sim card with the same initial top up credit costs 5 euro on the vodafone site but, I don't think they ship to the u.s. since the order page is only in Dutch and only allows for netherlands address, postal code etc..

Or if it can't be found online, does anybody know if those vodafone prepaid sims are available in Schiphol airport? Or where would the closest place from Schiphol be to get those sim cards?

Thanks
Do you need a Dutch number or any other European phone number equally suits you? In this latter case, I suggest to buy a www.tellinkroaming.com (never expires, has data packages and works worldowide with cheaper tariffs, with a Belgian mobile number).
Avoid at all costs Lebara or Lycamobile, too many problems with them.
As an alternative, upon landing, passport at hand go into one mobile phone shop and get the sim. In this case, I hope there will not be activation fees or other. They can be pushy sometimes, so I prefer the first solution I gave you, considering as a plus that it will never expire.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by joshwex90

Lebara offers a prepaid SIM with the physical SIM free and I can top-up 15 euro and get a package that includes 500 minutes (domestic/international) and 2 GB of data?

Do they have reliable coverage and decent data speeds? Will only be in Amsterdam and region.
Bump
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:58 am

When I was there in July there were a few people at a kiosk (more a free-standing podium than a kiosk) selling Lebara SIMs. It was located between the shops and escalators to the train platforms.

Originally Posted by joshwex90

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.