Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unlimited Pre-Paid Data in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Unlimited Pre-Paid Data in Germany

I was just in Munich and had a not so great experience using an unlocked LG Cookie with a Blau.de SIM card. Voice was great. Internet was terrible-- very slow and couldn't get or send e-mail. If I tried to send, I'd get waiting, waiting, waiting...failed.

I have a feeling it was a combination of phone and provider. I'm going back to Germany in September and need a better system.

I'm thinking of switching to Fonic. If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it I would also appreciate a suggestion of a low to medium end smartphone that would be more effective. Would I be better off waiting and buying a phone in Germany? I don't care if it can't be used in the US.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The LG Cookie is an EDGE only device, so it won't do 3G. Buy yourself a 3G phone if you need speed.

Blau runs on the Eplus network, so it certainly supports 3G, you just need a 3G phone to use it.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Scott - what is the significance of the phone's HSDPA cabability as it pertains to European 3G networks?

My phone supports WCDMA 850/1900 HSDPA - are these the frequencies used by most (many?) European 3G providers? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Scott - what is the significance of the phone's HSDPA cabability as it pertains to European 3G networks?

My phone supports WCDMA 850/1900 HSDPA - are these the frequencies used by most (many?) European 3G providers? Thanks for your help.
These frequencies are not used in Europe.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
You need a phone that does WCDMA 2100mhz for 3G in Europe. I was using Blau.de SIM card while I was in Germany a few weeks ago with my iPhone and didn't have any problems with speed or connection.

However, I did find I was unable to tether my iPhone. I don't believe this was Blau.de's fault, the way Apple deals with allowing or disallowing tethering is complex and frustrating, so I'm blaming them.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ScottC
The LG Cookie is an EDGE only device, so it won't do 3G. Buy yourself a 3G phone if you need speed.

Blau runs on the Eplus network, so it certainly supports 3G, you just need a 3G phone to use it.
EPlus data network is not that great. Most places it is EDGE or even GPRS. UMTS is only in the larger cities.

For data I Vodafone Websessions for short stays (great because you can pay with a credit card when you sign up) or Tchibo for longer stays (uses O2 network and can be topped up with O2 vouchers). Tchibo is "unlimited" but you speed is throttled after you reach your limit.

Voice is Solomo but that is another story.

Check here for info on prepaid data.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:47 am Reason: more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.