4 iPhone with Prepaid ATT service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 iPhone with Prepaid ATT service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The first challenge is getting the phone - you can't buy it without a new or existing contract.

Your best bet is to wait until it's released in Canada - it will be sold unlocked there from the Canadian Apple Store at prices very similar to the replacement cost price from the Apple Store here in the US.
I find this very curious. Apple has no objections selling the iPhone 4 unlocked in Canada? Anyone from the US can just drive/fly to Canada and buy one? Sounds to me like Apple is trying to help the travel industry by encouraing more people to visit Canada.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:00 pm

It's possible that you misunderstood the term "replacement cost" ?

"replacement cost" means the unsubsidized, non-contract price.

-David
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It's possible that you misunderstood the term "replacement cost" ?

"replacement cost" means the unsubsidized, non-contract price.

-David
yes, I know it will cost the same $$$$, if not more.... but UNLOCKED....
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
LOL, you are the only one to understand both my first and updated question.
Thank you
Update to my own query: visited AT&T store in Bethesda today. Was told i can use prepaid AT&T in any phone other than iPhone; once it get's pinged as prepaid, AT&T and/or Apple and/or both lock you.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update to my own query: visited AT&T store in Bethesda today. Was told i can use prepaid AT&T in any phone other than iPhone; once it get's pinged as prepaid, AT&T and/or Apple and/or both lock you.
With a little bit of effort it appears possible to make the prepaid SIM work on an iPhone with data available.

http://www.amirnaor.com/?p=49
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:49 am

Update to my own query: visited AT&T store in Bethesda today. Was told i can use prepaid AT&T in any phone other than iPhone;
that's because they don't officially support it.

once it get's pinged as prepaid, AT&T and/or Apple and/or both lock you.
complete nonsense.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdxer
that's because they don't officially support it.
complete nonsense.
From the apple discussions forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....D=2493968...an emphatic 'no'
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:47 pm

From the apple discussions forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....D=2493968...an emphatic 'no'
the link somehow swallowed the beginning of the next sentence and therefore doesn't work when clicked. it should be:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2493968

as for that thread, it sounds like someone is giving the party line. yes, it is not supported and there are no guarantees. it's possible at&t might block access. occasional use probably won't matter. excessive use might. visual voicemail will not work but nearly everything else will.

for voice and/or texting, you might consider a t-mobile prepaid sim which is less expensive to maintain than at&t, especially for occasional use (as little as $10/year). the main issue with t-mobile is that data is limited to 2g speeds, but if you are mainly going to use it for voice that won't matter much. the other issue is that the iphone must be unlocked, which may not be possible with all models & firmware versions at the moment.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Final update

Thanks for everyone's help and comments. Here's my final update

1. I bought a prepaid gophone package for a Samsung phone, cost $29.99 plus tax that included 15 minutes bonus airtime. What I did not know at the time of purchase is that when you activate the sim card that comes with the phone, it automatically is locked to that particular phone (imei lock) for 60 days. I actually inserted the card into an unlocked TMO brand pearl, and then discovered it wouldn't work when inserted into a second phone. So returned the darn package to Radio Shack.

2. A regular prepaid sim card costs $25 plus tax and then you still have to add talk time, a minimum of $25; so total investment is $50 plus tax. At a different ATT store, the sales guy said: 'yea, it'll work w/ the iPhone' but we don't support it.

3. When activating a restored iPhone, you cannot use a prepaid ATT sim account, it has to be a postpaid account.

Bottom line for me - waiting for Team Dev to come out with the hack for 4iOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.