Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what are the composite video inputs on seatback screens for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

what are the composite video inputs on seatback screens for? It's a RCA-type connector. I've notice them on a few airlines.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by gelplanes
what are the composite video inputs on seatback screens for? It's a RCA-type connector. I've notice them on a few airlines.
Composite connectors are as you note RCA-type connectors. They don't provide as good video as S-Video but they're pretty adequate for anything other than HD video. You find them on the back of VCRs, stereo equipment, DVD/BluRay players, etc.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:34 am

(Most?) Portable DVD players have composite video out jacks. Of course, they also usually have a screen about as big as the seatback ones. I suppose you could use a game player also.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by deubster
(Most?) Portable DVD players have composite video out jacks. Of course, they also usually have a screen about as big as the seatback ones. I suppose you could use a game player also.
Some phones and portable media players (of the iPod-ish, smaller-than-a-portable-DVD variety) have composite video cables available. So do some digital cameras.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:52 am

I often thought it would be a good idea to allow people to pass their audio and video throguh the airplane system so that they could cut in with announcements.

Northwest pre merger was talking about iPod docs at the seat. That would be great, but I've often wished the competitors came up with an Open Standard that matched the 30 pin adapter. Part of Apple's lead comes from having an ecosystem of accessories ranging from alarm clocks to BMWs.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
BA have them in their new First class

Sadly the odds of getting the one 747 (they are doing the 777's 1st) on my next trip are rather slim.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Northwest pre merger was talking about iPod docs at the seat. That would be great, but I've often wished the competitors came up with an Open Standard that matched the 30 pin adapter. Part of Apple's lead comes from having an ecosystem of accessories ranging from alarm clocks to BMWs.
CO has them on their new BusinessFirst seats. There is a special cable required - $35 on the duty free cart - to disable the copy-protection to allow content to be played externally but otherwise it apparently works pretty well.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Both Oman Air and Saudi Airlines have them on their newer planes.

Many phones (like the Nokia 5800) and music/video players (like the iPod) can output photo TV signals. The seat back screen is likely to be rather larger than the phone or music player screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.