Wiki Posts
Search

Sharing files betweem 2 locations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sharing files betweem 2 locations?

I now telecommute 1 or 2 days a week. Although I have a notebook, I prefer to leave it at my office and use my home computer when I work from home. It is a desktop, something I am far more comfortable working on.

Is there anyway for me to be able share files between the 2 computers without emailing them back and forth or using a flash drive? I'm not talking large files, but sometimes I don't know which one I need until I don't have it.

If it helps while they are confidential, they are not so secret or sensitive that the leaking of a document would impact anything.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:32 am

file sync software will do it, like goodsync. goodsync is a standalone program you can buy separately, but a version of it comes with AI Roboform, which is something you might also want on both computers. Roboform remembers all your passwords (like 1passwd for mac, they are all encrypted using a master password that you have to remember), and the goodsync part of it is used to keep your passwords in sync via the cloud, at no extra charge. If it's just an occaisional sync between two computers, you can actually do everything using the free version of goodsync that "comes" with Roboform. I sometimes use that to keep some folders on my travel laptop in sync with my main home laptop. (But if I forget, I can always access the data files in the cloud using the 2nd method.) Once you have the roboform/goodsync thing set up properly, the secure passwd distribution is seemless, as long as you have an internet connection.

But you can also do it with some data backup software like sugarsync. With sugarsync you can specify some magic folders that are kept in sync no matter where you are. These data backup programs keep your important data files in the cloud. The magic (special) folders you designate are kept in sync automatically via the cloud. The other 3rd party data backup solutions probably also offer something similar. In any case, you can log in to the cloud and access any data file that is backed up from any of your machines on your account in that cloud. (one account, many machines.)

I'm not sure how appropriate either of those methods is for you because you said one of the computers stays at work, and work probably doesn't want your work products backed up onto 3rd party clouds and/or you may not be able to install the various programs you need to do that.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 22, 2010 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:04 am

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jungledisk will auto-sync between multiple computers. www.jungledisk.com
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:10 am

2nd Dropbox. It's really easy to use, convenient, and free. Watch the video on their site. Also syncs files with your iPhone / iPad / Android.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
If you don't want to endanger your ability to work from home, I highly suggest you take the laptop home to work on.

There should be a separation of work and home, even if you work from home, that you should be using the company's equipment (laptop) to work.

I telecommute a majority of the time, but I always respect the company's policies and use their equipment.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
+1 Dropbox.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've been a long time user of the microsoft product, sync.live.com It use to be foldershare, but Microsoft changed the name when they swallowed it up.

You install a service on the machines.

You tell it which directory to keep in sync with which directory on the other machine

It does the rest. I have three machines using it and have not had any problems.

it's free too.

Though I would never consider any type of file sharing for confidential files to a personal machine.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli

Though I would never consider any type of file sharing for confidential files to a personal machine.
Exactly. This sort of thing could easily get an employee in trouble.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Exactly. This sort of thing could easily get an employee in trouble.
Without knowing OP's IT policies, I would check with the IT folks about various mechanisms for allowing VPNs or off-site file access to a server. They may be much more likely to come up with a solution that works than are various third-party software solutions that are usually intended more for people to access their personal files from multiple computers/locations. Many work IT folks block those sites or the ability to access them.

If IT has no solutions or refuses to provide one, that's probably a clue to their thoughts on the matter. Or, it's a clue that you ought to push a senior-level person to create better options for working from home.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
I've been a long time user of the microsoft product, sync.live.com It use to be foldershare, but Microsoft changed the name when they swallowed it up.
+1 for Windows Live Sync. I use it to keep four different machines in sync with each other, and I can use it to remotely access other machines when I need to. Very stable, and pretty well-designed.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by pigbill
If it helps while they are confidential, they are not so secret or sensitive that the leaking of a document would impact anything.
If any document is important enough to be deemed confidential, I would not leave any trace of the file on any third party service. You have no control on whether the service deletes the file when you do it from your account. It might be okay to encrypt the file first, but I think many users may skip this step due to the additional hassle.

Alternatively, consider a remote desktop service, either the one built-in to Windows or a third party application or service. Remote desktop allows you work on the file right on your office computer, but it requires an internet connection and won't work for graphic intensive programs. See what your IT department recommends.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I installed dropbox earlier today on the home PC and am now at the office. It is working well.

As for need to encrypt documents etc., not an issue. I also don't need to check with IT as I am IT. There are only a couple of us but we do keep an office, rather than commute I have decided to work from home at least once a week.

When I have more time I will look at the microsoft sync program, but right now dropbox is working fine
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're IT, why not use remote desktop to get into your laptop at work? That would be the easiest way to go.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Dropbox will change the way you work. It's brilliant. Especially now that third parties have started integrating with it (you can use it as a filesystem on the iPad, access it from iPhone, Android, the web, and more). And it's completely transparent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.