Prepaid SIM Card For IPhone In New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM Card For IPhone In New York

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by garyschmitt
Will any ATT shop give sims away? This would solve my problem, I think. I need to be able to travel to the US once every year or so. I want to activate and top-up a sim before leaving, so I have a working phone in the US as soon as I land. The chips seem to expire in 60 days, which is enough time to complete the trip. Then the process can be repeated for each trip, correct?

Can the top-ups be as little as $5-10?
Answering the first part of my question... I was able to walk into a random AT&T store and ask for a few sim chips. The CSR thought it was a weird request, but just handed some to me.

I still have yet to confirm if it's possible to activate these things online and topup with a small amount of money. Will report back when I do.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
sorry if this question has been answered before here or on another thread....i have a factory unlocked iphone 4 from hong kong....i have used this all over the world in many different countries....

will be back in the US for a couple of weeks in june....over the last 8 years i've had an at&t contract but as my visits to the US reduced i finally canceled that last year....now i need a prepaid sim to use for the duration of my stay....i won't be making too many calls but will be using a lot of data....

i understand both at&t & t-mobile offer prepaid sims....i guess my question are:

1. would these sims work on an unlocked phone or only on at&t/t-mobile phones????
2. if they will work on unlocked phones then which sim should i go for????which one would be more value for the buck????
3. would the sims be available at ewr or will i only be able to get one once i get into the city????

thanks in advance for the replies....
just an update....i can confirm the t-mobile sim works on a factory unlocked iphone....i ordered the sim online & they delivered to my hotel so i got it right away when i checked in....

in order to get the data to work all you need to do it go into settings - general - network - cellular data network & type in epc.tmobile.com in the apn field....
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan 100K
TMO data plan for prepaid?

The data you are getting on TMO is through what plan and at what cost/limit?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rodric
The data you are getting on TMO is through what plan and at what cost/limit?
here you go:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:39 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by Keyser
just an update....i can confirm the t-mobile sim works on a factory unlocked iphone....i ordered the sim online & they delivered to my hotel so i got it right away when i checked in....

in order to get the data to work all you need to do it go into settings - general - network - cellular data network & type in epc.tmobile.com in the apn field....
Keyser, since you used ATT and T-mobile both, do you recommend one over another? I'll go with your reco accordingly
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A2A
Keyser, since you used ATT and T-mobile both, do you recommend one over another? I'll go with your reco accordingly
i would go with at&t....slightly better coverage....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.