[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
delete
Old May 27, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by olddallas
UK - Back when our cell phones were not GSM, we used Adam Phones in UK for short term cell phone hire several times. They were reasonably priced and had very good customer service. However, if you have an unlocked GSM phone I suspect you can do better with a local SIM card.
Tesco Mobile is best for sort term use as a £10 top-up fee will get you £30 credit and currently 5000 free text messages too: http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mo...iffs-payg.aspx. The SIM cards are free and you can pick them up in most Tesco stores.
Old May 30, 2011, 4:25 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Originally Posted by olddallas
UK - Back when our cell phones were not GSM, we used Adam Phones in UK for short term cell phone hire several times. They were reasonably priced and had very good customer service. However, if you have an unlocked GSM phone I suspect you can do better with a local SIM card.
Tesco Mobile is best for sort term use as a £10 top-up fee will get you £30 credit and currently 5000 free text messages too: http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mo...iffs-payg.aspx. The SIM cards are free and you can pick them up in most Tesco stores.
Massively wrong. Giffgaff is much better (www.giffgaff.com). £10 for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and data for a month. Get a sim online (or ask me to send you one overseas). Get a top up voucher from anywhere which sells them (either an o2 one or a giffgaff one) and use the £10 to buy the above package (£10 goodybag) until 1st July Internet is free for all even without goodybag, but you must top up by £10 to activate card!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
I will be going to Macedonia and Croatia in August. I have an unlocked iPhone, and I would like to acquire a sim card ahead of time for data use in both countries.

Ideally, if there was one network that did reasonable roaming in both countries, I would be willing to pay for that. If not, I would like to acquire two separate sim cards, one for macedonia, and one for croatia.

What would be the best network/networks for this, and could I get them shipped to the US ahead of time, so I wouldn't need to find them and deal with a language barrier there?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by InfoMofo
I will be going to Macedonia and Croatia in August. I have an unlocked iPhone, and I would like to acquire a sim card ahead of time for data use in both countries.

Ideally, if there was one network that did reasonable roaming in both countries, I would be willing to pay for that. If not, I would like to acquire two separate sim cards, one for macedonia, and one for croatia.

What would be the best network/networks for this, and could I get them shipped to the US ahead of time, so I wouldn't need to find them and deal with a language barrier there?
Have you tried finding someone Ebay whom may have the sims you're looking for?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the U.S., if I have a pre-paid T-Mobile SIM, and I subscribe to the $1.49 daily data plan from an Android phone can I remove the SIM, install it in an air-card in a notebook and use it, or is there some sort of IMEI 'linkage'?

And/or, can I USB tether my Android phone with the T-Mo SIM (w/ data) to a notebook and utilize dial-up 2G?

Last edited by transpac; Jun 14, 2011 at 9:26 pm
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Philippines

SMART http://smart.com.ph

Getting a SIM

They are sold EVERYWHERE. For SMART, you probably want a "SMART Buddy SIM". These are generally like 40 Piso (92 US Cents) with no prepaid time. You can buy prepaid airtime EVERYWHERE by buying SMART "Load" cards in 100 Piso, 300 Piso, 500 Piso ect. When you are buying prepaid airtime you ask for "Load" so people will know what you are talking about.

To activate MMS/GPRS/3G and automatically set your APN's

Compose a SMS with the text SET <handset model> and send it to 211.
Example: SET Desire for HTC Desire.

When you receive the settings, accept them and away you go.

If you particular phone is not supported try similar phones from the same manufacturer as the settings are probably compatible.

To get the list of models supported for a particular brand, text SET <brand> and send to 211.
Example: Text SET HTC and send it to 211.
To get the list of all supported handsets, text SET LIST and send it to 211.

If automatic APN configuration fails you can set it up the hard way with settings here. http://smart.com.ph/corporate/suppor...S+settings.htm

Prices:

Data is priced by "time' which is annoying with most smart phones unless you sign up for one of the unlimited plans. Fortunately signing up for unlimited plans is cheap and easy.

No unlimited plan. Each data access starts the clock on 30 minutes of unlimited data for 10 Piso. This is usually an extremely bad set up for most smart phones since they tend to randomly use small amounts of data in the background.

Unlimited plans. You definitely want to activate one of these.

-Unlimited Internet for 1 day. 50 Piso ($1.15/day)
Compose a SMS with the text "Unli 50" and send it to 211.

-Unlimited Internet for 1 week. 300 Piso ($6.90/week)
Compose a SMS with the text "Unli 300" and send it to 211.

-Unlimited Internet for 1 month. 1200 Piso ($27.60/month)
Compose a SMS with the text "Unli 1200" and send it to 211.

You should receive a text acknowledgement of activation.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Blau.de have a great Data roaming plan priced at €4.99 for 50 Mb valid 7 days anywhere in Europe!

It's almost cheaper to use this German carrier in France than a French one!

I wrote a post about that on my blog
http://superfr8d.blogspot.com/2011/0...were-like.html

;-)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I'm trying to get my hands on a SIM card for Austria, and according to PrePaidGSM.net, it looks like Three (Drei) Mobile is the way to go. Question is this: unlike other countries, it doesn't look like I can order SIMs on eBay. I suppose I can walk into a 3 store in Austria and get a SIM card without a problem, but why aren't they available online?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Playboy
Have you tried finding someone Ebay whom may have the sims you're looking for?
Just to encourage people to post and recycle their sim cards infomofo has two Croatia Tmobile sim cards in the mail for which I no longer have any use.

It can happen. Pay it forward.

Jim
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
Does anyone who has used AT&T GoPhone with an iPhone know if it's possible to top-up and buy data/txt packs using the myAT&T app for iPhone?
Would make things pretty simple if you can. Also, are they friendly with foreign credit cards?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by InfoMofo

Hi, in Croatia you can buy bonbon card for about 3€ (20 kuna). Then, buy token (called "bon" in croatian) of 80 kuna (11-12€). And then, you can buy 1GB of data valid for 30 days, costs 60 kuna.
Also, Vipnet and Tele2 offers cards with extremely cheap international calls (only few cents per minute), you can find the English labels on most kiosks in many cities - these cards are specially made for tourists, and they're prepaid, meaning you don't have to leave your personal data, passports, etc. and you buy tokens to recharge the SIM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by Blagus
Hi, in Croatia you can buy bonbon card for about 3€ (20 kuna). Then, buy token (called "bon" in croatian) of 80 kuna (11-12€). And then, you can buy 1GB of data valid for 30 days, costs 60 kuna.
Also, Vipnet and Tele2 offers cards with extremely cheap international calls (only few cents per minute), you can find the English labels on most kiosks in many cities - these cards are specially made for tourists, and they're prepaid, meaning you don't have to leave your personal data, passports, etc. and you buy tokens to recharge the SIM.
Cool. Jim sent me his TMobile sim cards (THANK YOU), so I am just going to use those- and I was hoping to be able to load them with a data plan before I even get there so I can use them as soon as I land?

I am still trying to figure it all out, but it looks like I have a few options.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
I'm trying to get my hands on a SIM card for Austria, and according to PrePaidGSM.net, it looks like Three (Drei) Mobile is the way to go. Question is this: unlike other countries, it doesn't look like I can order SIMs on eBay. I suppose I can walk into a 3 store in Austria and get a SIM card without a problem, but why aren't they available online?
Shamelessly bumping myself. Anyone got any extra Austrian SIMs laying around?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Any suggestions for a sim card to use in Zimbabwe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.