Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:50 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
att sim card prepaid for iphone

I activated with success an USA AT&T pre paid sim card in my iphone 3gs.. with phone and 100mb 3G data plan after some workarounds and tweaks.

I put together some instructions in this link, you need a credit card to re-fill online. my canadian card with USA zip code worked fine.

http://wpjrnl.com/2010/11/07/activat...3g-for-iphone/
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by aidanc
I signed up for MITT3, and then using the website in Swedish, signed up for 3Mobilsurf with credit card payment. This is 30 days internet access for 90SEK, about €9. This activated in a few minutes on the phone.
FYI, they have changed their plans. Data is now included depending on how much money you add on. Also the plan 3Global gives you an extremely good rate calling internationally. It turned out to be cheaper for me to call my friend's in North America than my friends in Sweden.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Jet Blue Delta AA
Any info on Italy?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
France data sim information

I just finished the process of getting one two days ago.

Right now the only company that seems to have a stock of micro sim prepaid in Nice anyway, is Bouyges. Orange, SFR and others give prices, all higher than Bouyges, but have no stock anyway.

Bouyges costs Euro 9.90 for the sim that includes two days of use. They have a plan for one month unlimited that costs Euro29.90. To buy it you need an identity card or passport and a credit card. The trick is to register and recharge the card you need a French address and a French issued card. I do not know for certain that the last requirement is true but they state that it is. I have a French card so cannot test the truth of the statement.

Other providers might get by with a foreign card, but I do not have proof.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
An update. The Bouyges prepaid requires a ntional Id card or passport to make a refill. If you have an EU national I'd it works instantly online. If nit you need to supply a photo and wait two days. I used a friends French id but my card details, French card, and no problem. It is bureaucratic to be sure. You cannot refill prior to running out.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
Looking for data SIM info in Isreal

Anybody?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:33 am

Update 2 on France. Bouyges cut off my line after four days, because I used a card registered in my partial name and the French ID that did not 100 percent match. I then gave up and went back to SFR whom I have used for years. Zero problem paid for my microsim at €9.90 and 1GB of data at €35.00 right at pos and walked away complete and active. I only need to send in the complete application plus photocopy of ID within 15 days. I have done that before and it has worked without problem. More expensive than Bouyges but it works!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
AT&T Micro Sim Pay As You Go

I have just ported my number from the normal sized sim to a microsim at the AT&T store in Times Square.
Used wifi to access unlockit.co.nz and my data plan was back up and running in no time.
This was after being told "no data using this sim".
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: Delta, US Airways, AA
I'm about to leave for a 6 month assignment in Italy, and I'm curious as to whether anyone has any advice on doing a post-paid contract or a pre-paid SIM for voice/data.

I typically pick up pre-paid voice/data SIMs, but for 6 months I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to do a post-paid plan and then cancel.

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by macreator
I'm about to leave for a 6 month assignment in Italy, and I'm curious as to whether anyone has any advice on doing a post-paid contract or a pre-paid SIM for voice/data.

I typically pick up pre-paid voice/data SIMs, but for 6 months I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to do a post-paid plan and then cancel.

Thanks.
Knowing how difficult all manner of things like this are in Italy I would imagine it's not worth the hassle for six months. Carrefour operates their MVNO in Italy; I would imagine their rates are similar to those here in Spain (10€ for the SIM, 19€ for unlimited data/month, 1GB high-speed cap).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: BA blue
Norway

Norway

Be aware that by law all subscriptions, including prepaid cards must be registered. You can use or home address abroad. If you're not asked to register your card in store (bring your passport or other ID card), your first call is usually transferred to customer service for you to register with them. Be sure to ask for them to set all automated responses (for example top up information) to english. At least Telenor will do this for you.

If you're going to do a lot of calls out of the country i would recommend going for Lebara, they usually have the cheapest rates. Their sim-cards and top ups can be bought at most 7-eleven and narvesen kiosks plus some convenience stores.

For data usage, the two main providers in norway provide the best rate:
Telenor
Name of Card: Kort & Kontant

Price
Data:
* Max 10NOK per day (if you use more you will not get billed more than 10NOK) If you use more than 200MB in a month, they will limit transfer speeds.

Calls:
Within Telenors network (includes all MVNOs that operate on it): NOK 0.99 per minute
To all other networks plus land lines: NOK 1.49 per minute

Texts cost NOK 0.69 within norway.

International calls and texts vary in price, see: http://www.telenor.no/privat/mobil/p...ilutlandet.jsp (in norwegian only)

Sim cards and top ups can be bought at most convenience stores, Narvesen, 7-eleven, deli de luca and any Phone shops that offers Telenor (Telekiosken, Spaceworld, Expert, Elkjřp and a few others)

* Micro SIM is available only at regular phone shops. Or by calling customer service at 09000

Tethering is allowed, but not included in default data rate. Price unknown.

Note for iPhones: Telenor is an Apple authorized carrier of the iPhone, so settings for data usage should be set up automatically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NetCom
Name of Card: NetCom Kontant

Price
Data:
* Max 20NOK per day (No word of bandwith throttling, but probably the same as Telenor)

Calls:
If you top up with 150NOK or more NetCom gives you a lower price than if you don't.

If you top up with at least 150NOK:
Calls to NetCom customers: NOK 0,- (note, only NetCom customers, not MVNOs)
Calls to everyone else: NOK 0.89
Texts: NOK 0.59

If you don't top up with NOK 150 or more:
Calls: NOK 1.49
Texts: NOK 0.59

International calls and texts vary in price, see: https://netcom.no/priser/mobiltilutland.html (in norwegian only)

Sim cards and top ups can be bought at most convenience stores, Narvesen, 7-eleven, deli de luca and any Phone shops that offers NetCom (Telebutikken, Spaceworld, Expert, Elkjřp and a few others)

* Micro SIM is available only at phone shops. Or by calling customer service at 05050

Tethering is allowed, but not included in default data rate. Price unknown.

Note for iPhones: NetCom is an Apple authorized carrier of the iPhone, so settings for data usage should be set up automatically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither Telenor or NetCom requires a minimum top up when you purchase the sim. The sims usually cost NOK 99 (although some phone shops charge NOK 199 for some reason) and you will get a prepaid balance of NOK 50 automatically.

Telenor usually have the best coverage all over norway, but if you're going to some remote part you should ask someone living there about who has the best coverage since this can vary in these areas.

Hope this is of any help to some

Last edited by mckvakk; Jan 11, 2011 at 2:57 am
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:24 am

Experience with MaxRoam?

I have tried to use this service twice with fairly limited success, but the concept of less onerous roaming charges still is appealing to me. Does anybody have any knowledge about well how they work longer term?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Brazil

Tim Brasil:

They sell prepaid cards for R$ 10 (around US$ 5), and you can buy additional credits in grocery stores by increments of R$ 6. Data connections are charged R$ 0.50 per day for unlimited usage, though speed is capped if you use more than 10 Mb in 24 hours or 300 Mb in 30 days. Voice call prices are kind of hard to understand but basically if you call another Tim number or make a local call to a landline, you will be charged R$ 0.25 per call no matter how long you stay on the line. Calls to other carriers are more expensive and charged by the minute (R$ 1.39 per minute if I got that right).
Using a jailbroken iPhone with MyWi works with the aforementioned plan and there are no APN settings to tweak. Since Tim won't sell microsim cards under that plan, you'd better bring a sim card cutter along if you plan on using an unsimlocked iPhone 4.
You may also want to check the sim card you're buying as some don't allow 3G connectivity. Only Tim owned stores seem to be selling those. Resellers don't !

Please also note that you'll need a CPF number to buy a sim card (so you might ask a Brazilian friend to go to the store with you)!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
aidanc,

Thanks for the advice in relation to the 3 Sim card in Sweden. I too bought mine in Malmo, a 3 Kontant Global 200. The calls back to an Australian landline were so cheap, under three dollars for 10 minutes and calls to foreign mobile phones 2.99SEK per minute.
Data was easy to implement and very fast. I think the APN you gave has changed but I forgot to note it down before replacing my Australian Sim.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
awpoon,

I used the Vodafone Sim in Germany over Christmas and New Year. Thanks to your previous advice, I had no problems registering the card and using Web Sessions. Coverage in Berlin was excellent as you would expect but I encountered instances of "No Service" in some rural areas towards the border with Poland. No problem using the German Sim in Poland. Thanks once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.