Wiki Posts
Search

Best USB dongle deal(s) in UK?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Best USB dongle deal(s) in UK?

I'm thinking of getting one for my internet use while in the UK, does anyone know of any particularly good deal with a good mount of data?
Old May 23, 2010, 9:15 am

Vodafone and T-Mobile were comparable

I found that most of the tariffs were quite similar... but what they charged for the dongle itself really varied. My advice would be to find the deal you like the most, then buy just the SIM on its own. Then, find the dongle on eBay. You can usually get the most up-to-date dongles for less than £25 - which is a lot cheaper than what they are sold for as part of the Telco's mobile broadband package.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
You don't state your location, but if it is longer than just a short vacation, you should check out the current Tesco deal in the BA forum.

In short, £20 gets you a dongle and 500 Tesco points, which can be exchanged for 1200 BA miles.

Otherwise, check out the coverage maps - outside of the main cities and transit routes you will be limited in data speed to something well short of HSIA.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No, long term, however mostly in and around London. I already have a Vodafone contract line if that would make any difference.
Old May 23, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
No, long term, however mostly in and around London. I already have a Vodafone contract line if that would make any difference.
Well, you've a choice of five main operators - 3, T mobile, Orange, Vodafone and O2. I'd guess you want a 'pay as you surf' type deal on a month-to-month basis. I'd probably just wait until you get here and then go to one of the main players for a pricing review.

If you have access, the last time I looked in Costco they were doing a good deal on 3, something like £60 for 12 months service. If not, it'll be about £10/month, with £20 for the dongle and probably a 3 or 5Gb/mo limit.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm in the UK on average every two weeks for the last 20 years, I'll be there the day after tomorrow, I am looking fo a deal, but I'm not going to be a Costco member just to save 10 quid...... but thanks anyway.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
How much data/day? 10K, 500K, 1Gb?
Old May 24, 2010, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dunno, depends on the deal, something above 5GB a month for starters, I see that 3 hassme 15GB deals for example.......
Old May 24, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3 has deals for 15GB a month for 15 or 20GBP depending on contract length. Vodafone has offered me 3Gb a month for 8.67 GBP when I asked them about bigger limits they offered me 5GB for 25 GBP, what a joke. I asked them to send me 3 3gb USB modems instead, they didn't get it.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I got a 3UK dongle with a pay as you go account. O forget the price bit I remember at the time being shocked that it was so cheap. There may be a thread here if you search on FT that has the price. I would just go to a 3 store and see what their pricing options are for prepaid data.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:29 pm

If you have good Tmobile coverage where ever youre intending to use it- then go for a 12 month already paid up front gift pack. You can pick them up for around the £60-£70 mark NEW on ebay etc (they retail at £149- £180) theres a 2GB monthly allowance, which even if you go over you can still browse & check emails.

For reference this is the one Im talking about: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...+GIFT+PACK.htm sometimes argos sell them for £99 when they have their sales/special offers.

P.S as you have a vodafone contract you could ask vodafone customer services if they will give you an internet allowance for a certain duration. From my experience vodafone was too costly for the amount of data/usage.

Last edited by designpro; May 24, 2010 at 11:37 pm
Old May 25, 2010, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
For info, T-Mobile UK and Orange UK have merged, though the brands remain. (The combined company is called Everything Everywhere. )
http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/05...ion-and-plans/

They will combine their 3G and 2G networks in due course. Currently, 3 has the biggest UK 3G network, but Orange/T-Mobile will probably overtake them.

3's note on coverage: http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Coverage_speed
Old May 25, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by hfly
Dunno, depends on the deal, something above 5GB a month for starters, I see that 3 hassme 15GB deals for example.......
That's quite a bit of data for mobile. Most of the time you'll be lucky to get > 1Mbps out of the device.

If you're resident in the UK, you may be better going for a contract, as all the PAYG charge a lot for data.

T-Mobile or three may be the best for you - have a look at the websites.

Whatever you do, consider getting a long USB cable anr/or a 3G router to get the best signal into the dongle.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:05 am
GRM

I have a T-Mobile PAYG dongle. £2/day to use, FUP is 2GB/month but appears to be loosely enforced. You can also buy 7 days access for £7 or 30 days for £15.

Perfect for my usage profile. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.