Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:09 pm

Another WiTopia. They recently upgraded their servers and software and it's now easier to use with more functionality. I just wish they would allow you to choose the "quick connect" settings rather than just connecting to the nearest server. The other thing is that I am told they no longer support a router based VPN. It's all software based unless you buy their router.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:24 am

http://www.laptoptelly.com is a pretty good VPN for Hulu, BBC etc
Few freebies out there but they always seem to buffer at some point, especially from far away.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:54 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
VPN

I have downloaded, hotspotshield.com to use overseas so that I can watch movies etc. Just curious if others have and if so has it been a positive for you? If not suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Disclaimer: If you're trying to break the law and get around license protections, I would suggest you A) not do that, B) don't ask for help on a public board. That being said:

I have my router (Cisco ASA 5505) setup to allow me to VPN in. You can set that up quite easily with dd-wrt or tomato on just about any retail router. Benefit: Free, negative: depends on how much bandwidth your connection can handle.

For VPN, I also do the opposite. I have a VPN tunnel out of the US, so the RIAA/MPAA/NSA/WhoeverElseA can't see my traffic on some VMs. I also run a tor node to help others annonomize (sp?) traffic.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 1:43 pm
sfo

Thanks for your reply, I would never ever think of breaking the law.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:20 am
sfo

Txs for the info. mostly for Europe
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I've been using Hola Unblocker (Google Chrome extension) and very happy with it. Not a VPN, so not strictly rerouting your IP, but reroutes for specific websites. Many to choose from, and they add more all the time. Works with websites like ESPN, YouTube, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, CBS, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:42 pm

I've been using Astrill and like this. It's 39.99$ half year, cheaper than yours. Trust me, it's a great vpn, you can check the reviews from the website and see how other customers feel about it.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
A friend recently signed up to ProXPN after hearing about it on 'This Week in Tech' podcast (and using the code offered there). He seems happy with the product so far.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Have not read the previous pages, but I went with HideMyAss. Yes, that the name.

Two reasons - I do not have my own equipment in States, so I do need third party service. Secondly - other services I've tried did not perform as expected.

Now one should know that US IP address is not not only useful for Hulu/Netflix but required to make internet purchases for bunch of sites. I had personal experience when Hotwire and Sears transactions did not go thru due to non-US IP address.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
I am going to have to start traveling to Saltillo quite often, and I tried to watch Netflix yesterday, and DENIED, can't do it internationally, and I cannot watch Hulu either

And the choices for local tv are horrid.

What are good personal VPNs out there?

I looked at a few, and most of then are about $9/month

And since I am "frugal" are there any good cheaper alternatives

Thanks
I was in China a few months ago, so I had to explore VPNs, and I highly recommend BreakWall SPDN as a cheap choice. Their smallest plan (10 GB) is $4.5 a month, and their faster, video plan is $6.5 for the month.

P.S I subsisted off of free trials, uninstalling and renewing, for weeks, before I finally gave in and bought.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Witopia. About $70 per year but worth every penny.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I recommend TunnelBear, on sale right now for $50 for the year (unlimited data usage) - their desktop app allows very easy switching of your IP (US, UK, Canada, Germany & Japan) and it works very well.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by sfo
I have downloaded, hotspotshield.com to use overseas so that I can watch movies etc. Just curious if others have and if so has it been a positive for you? If not suggestions would be appreciated.
I downloaded hotspotshield in July using a link given in an editorial column in a computer magazine I subscribe to and trust. Bad experience because later I found out it had brought with it an annoying but not dangerous piece of malware. After it started misbehaving it took my time to hunt down and deinstall. I hadn't downloaded anything else for a while and operate excellent virus protection so it was pretty sure it had somehow tagged on to the hotspotshield download. So I guess the unwanted extra I got was due to where I downloaded it from turning out to be not so trustworthy after all.

People do speak well of hotspotshield but many of the other software pieces mentioned by posters here also seem to work well and hotspotshield has not been able to access every site I wanted it to.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
I downloaded hotspotshield in July using a link given in an editorial column in a computer magazine I subscribe to and trust. Bad experience because later I found out it had brought with it an annoying but not dangerous piece of malware. After it started misbehaving it took my time to hunt down and deinstall. I hadn't downloaded anything else for a while and operate excellent virus protection so it was pretty sure it had somehow tagged on to the hotspotshield download. So I guess the unwanted extra I got was due to where I downloaded it from turning out to be not so trustworthy after all.

People do speak well of hotspotshield but many of the other software pieces mentioned by posters here also seem to work well and hotspotshield has not been able to access every site I wanted it to.
You mean that conduit one that takes over your home page and search engine? I ran Super Anti-Spyware and got rid of it. The VPN is not just for Hulu and other tv shows, other websites such as cruise lines have an annoying habit of switching you to their overseas version of their websites (with higher prices). It works off and on for E-Rewards which I wouldn't bother with if there was an easy way to manufacture spend from Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.