Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by PTravel
Is there some reason people don't like the idea of setting up a VPN router at home? Routers are as cheap as $30, and dd-wrt, which has excellent VPN capability, is free. I've been running dd-wrt on my home routers for a couple of years, now, and find VPN stable and completely reliable.
Most folks don't know how to set up a router, much less DD-WRT. Throw in DDNS (required) and I'd venture that a very small group would get it. THere are some routers available inexpensively that support SSL VPN out of the box (no flashing required), but it still requires some set-up. And there are a few (like the Sonicwall TZ100) that can support both SSL VPN and L2TP/IPSec (iPad/Android native application) out of the box. It's a bit more complex than DD-WRT, though.

Using personal routers IS great, even better if you snag a static IP from your cable/fios/whatever provider. But it's clearly not for everyone as it won't be supported by your cable/fios/whatever help desk. (Side note: I've had great success talking router and UNIX matters on my business circuit with the local cable provider, but that was NOT the case with a business circuit serviced by ATT. With ATT, I always had to go to second or third level support immediately because "we don't support anything but windows computers using our supplied hardware.)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
This may sound stupid, but...

Do I do this for my router in USA or my router abroad?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
This may sound stupid, but...

Do I do this for my router in USA or my router abroad?
The one in the USA.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I recently found a VPN on my ipad that deducts through the iTunes store, therefore skipping the need for me to surrender my credit card (for some people this will be huge). When I find the app name I will post it here.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I recently found a VPN on my ipad that deducts through the iTunes store, therefore skipping the need for me to surrender my credit card (for some people this will be huge). When I find the app name I will post it here.
Huh? You mean you have to pay per use? That's kind of awful.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I think he means that you can purchase an in-app subscription, so you pay them using your iTunes account instead of directly giving them your CC details.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If it's an app, then the VPN would only be for that iOS device running the app, not for other devices or computers on the same network?

Though I guess that would be good enough for things like HBO Go.

Of course I was in Spain when the Superbowl took place and I'm not sure the NBC Sports streaming site would have worked on Mobile Safari.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Huh? You mean you have to pay per use? That's kind of awful.
They charge by the amount you need. I think 3 GB of bandwidth is like $1.99 all the way up to 300 GB which is $49.99. It's pretty reliable so far.

The app is called VPN Express.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
i have a vpn with surfbouncer. works well. can watch netflix with subtitles from anywhere in the world with a wi fi connection.
i have it on my mac book air , but it can work on the i pad too.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:19 pm

I have been through a ton of different VPN's for watching Netflix outside the USA. The free ones keep getting blocked, half the paid ones don't work in China or Middle East when i travel, etc.

In the end, I ended up with Free2Surf (www.free2surfvpn.com).

I have not had any issues since, looks they don't recycle IP's. I'd recommend it for hassle free. Works with Gvoice, skype, netflix, hulu, etc. I actually run it on my DD-WRT router so I don't have to configure each device and my Xbox Live and Smart TV can get on.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Found a new Hotspot Shield that works. It's free with virtually no ads, and if you have ad blocker, it's got no ads!
It works perfectly, and you can use Hulu, Netflix, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, YouTube (for content not allowed outside the US), ESPN (for content not allowed outside the US), etc.

http://anchorfree.com/
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I have used the free versions, but at the end of the day, they just don't work as good as paid versions.

Witopia has worked the best for me. I have spent some time in China in the past six months and will be there few more times in near future. Most of the free versions just don't work in China.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Witopia

Originally Posted by holtju2
I have used the free versions, but at the end of the day, they just don't work as good as paid versions.

Witopia has worked the best for me. I have spent some time in China in the past six months and will be there few more times in near future. Most of the free versions just don't work in China.
Second year on witopia and it works great all over
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Astrill. It's only $5.50/month if you go with the 12 month plan, has servers in 44 countries, and you can do instant switching between countries on demand.

But the part I like best: it's FAST. No slowdown whatsoever. And I never have any trouble connecting.

Hope that doesn't make me sound like a company shill, since I've got no affiliation with them. But after having been through over half a dozen commercial vpns, this one has worked best for me.

btw: my second choice is ProXPN. Which I'm also surprised no one has mentioned.
+1 for Astrill
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:46 pm

Have you tried using Tor?

SCRATCH THAT, Tor is not very good for streaming or high bandwidth services.

Last edited by Szcene; Mar 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.