Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Any major difference between WiTopia and StrongVPN? Or are they roughly the same product?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:59 pm

Overplay works well for us

We use Overplay and are really enjoying the service. So far, it's allowed us to play pretty much anything we want.
Here's a quick review.

We recently got ourselves a Draytek router which can supposedly be set-up to use the Overplay VPN as a tunnel on-demand, so that Netflix and all the other services can be made available to any device on your network. We'll do a write up on it as soon as we can.

In the meantime, Overplay works pretty well on any laptop and, also, the iPhone and iPad, to get around georestricted content.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:16 pm

As I watch Netflix and BBC iPlayer, I need a VPN service that can offer servers in UK and US, so I settled with Overplay.net

For just under $10 a month.

Overplay.net
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:16 am

I found a method is which working well for me in Canada. I imagine it will work in anywhere else as well.

Basically, you will need a Virtual Prepaid U.S. credit card and a proxy service to allow you to sign up and watch Netflix outside USA.

More details from this blog http://www.unotelly.com/blog/?p=72
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
I've been using VPNGates. Never had a problem anywhere in the world. I've done speed tests with and without. No slow down ever.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by aster
Any major difference between WiTopia and StrongVPN? Or are they roughly the same product?
WITopia is very controlling. And sneaky. They have a firewall that they claim is there to "protect you", but it actually blocks egress packets (iow, it's there to limit you, not outsiders). When complaining about all the blocks, witopia responded "sir, we are a security company, and you are using a security product". I made the mistake of hiring Witopia to get around ISP limitations - only to end up with a different set of blocking limitations.

Witopia - you're fired.

It's one thing to work against the customer in some cases, but then to also paint it with the marketing spin "we are protecting you" is too much on the deceitful side.

Originally Posted by jfe
I ended up using Witopia.net

For $40 a year I was able to use Netflix ^^

I am quite surprised Witopia allows you to access Netflix.

Last edited by garyschmitt; Aug 22, 2011 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does anyone know anything more about FoxyProxy? Is it just made for Firefox, or is it actually put out by Mozilla as well?

Will it work well for specifically Netflix and Hulu in Israel?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does anyone know anything more about FoxyProxy? Is it just made for Firefox, or is it actually put out by Mozilla as well?

Doesn't look like it's from Mozilla. Seems a commercial type company. They have a free trial, I think, so you could try it out at least. The USA price at $8 per month seems the best.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Doesn't look like it's from Mozilla. Seems a commercial type company. They have a free trial, I think, so you could try it out at least. The USA price at $8 per month seems the best.
Where do you see a monthly price of $8? I see from this that there's a suggested donation of $9.99, but that's it
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Where do you see a monthly price of $8? I see from this that there's a suggested donation of $9.99, but that's it
I'd guess there are different versions. They have a price list here.

Probably similar to some services that have a free service (usually limited, or ad sponsored), and paid services.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use FoxyProxy all the time - at least, I use the plugin for Firefox. It's not a proxy service, though they do link to proxy services on their website.

I use it to automagically route unencrypted connections through my home router when I'm using public wifi elsewhere.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I use FoxyProxy all the time - at least, I use the plugin for Firefox. It's not a proxy service, though they do link to proxy services on their website.

I use it to automagically route unencrypted connections through my home router when I'm using public wifi elsewhere.
Does the plug-in cost money? Will this help to watch Netflix when in Israel?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aster
Can only speak for StrongVpn, but it has worked good for me I have it set up on a DD-WRT router in EZE and mainly use it for Netflix.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the plug-in cost money? Will this help to watch Netflix when in Israel?
The plugin is free. You'd need to either pay for a proxy, find a free one, or create your own. I do the latter via an SSH tunnel to my home router.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The plugin is free. You'd need to either pay for a proxy, find a free one, or create your own. I do the latter via an SSH tunnel to my home router.
Is it difficult to create your own?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.