[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by angra
Honestly, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and which failure cases matter most to you. If you just don't like having your data sold, I feel very comfortable with Torguard and PIA.
+1. PIA's high speeds will suit most basic users.

The only problem with PIA is that they're so popular, their IPs are frequently identified as spam or blocked.

My earlier suggestion of NordVPN and AirVPN are for the more anonymity-conscious, which rules out any of the 5 (or 9/14) eyes countries.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
It's a matter of trust, really. I can't be 100% sure that the VPN providers who supposedly don't sell data aren't actually doing so. It could just be me being really paranoid though.
Right. Well, you could go live in a cave off the grid if you like. Otherwise, privacy doesn't really exist anyway. Sort of the same idea as door locks -- they won't deter someone who really wants YOUR stuff, but they will make it easier for thieves to go somewhere else if all they want is somebody's stuff.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
What are you not comfortable about? For instance, I am not comfortable using a US-based VPN, for various reasons. I am comfortable that paid VPNs that state they don't keep logs of use won't sell my data (that they haven't logged)....I would not trust a free VPN.
US based or not - PIA doesn't store anything. And as such, even the FBI wasn't able to garner any data from them: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-provide...i-case-160312/
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Any experience with Nord? People on XDA seemed pretty happy with them. I have NOT been happy with PureVPN
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Any experience with Nord? People on XDA seemed pretty happy with them. I have NOT been happy with PureVPN
I've been using Nord for about a month now. So far, very happy. Think I've had 2 or so times that things seemed a little slow, and I grabbed a different server and all was good. Good selection of servers and they seem to keep up with what servers are usable/blocked for what service.

All that said, I'm not a VPN "power user". I'm just looking for a safer connection when in public places for the most part. I don't torrent or anything out of the ordinary.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
US based or not - PIA doesn't store anything. And as such, even the FBI wasn't able to garner any data from them: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-provide...i-case-160312/
That's great for PIA - but that was then, and this is now. There have been a lot of changes in the US since then

I am not at all certain what will happen in the future of business and privacy regulations in the US, and I'm just as happy with a non-US based VPN who also doesn't log IP info. Like z28lt1, I'm not a power user, pirate, or torrent-er....I just want extra security when I'm in public places and doing secure functions like banking on my laptop or phone.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
That's great for PIA - but that was then, and this is now. There have been a lot of changes in the US since then

I am not at all certain what will happen in the future of business and privacy regulations in the US, and I'm just as happy with a non-US based VPN who also doesn't log IP info. Like z28lt1, I'm not a power user, pirate, or torrent-er....I just want extra security when I'm in public places and doing secure functions like banking on my laptop or phone.
Not to get to wonky here, but if you are referring to recent legislation in the USA, technically nothing has changed and nothing will.

Privacy protections there were TO GO into effect in December 2017, will now NOT go into effect and previous LACK of definition about USE is now slightly more defined but the restrictions that had previously been put into policy and NOT gone into effect will not. So, for the foreseeable future we are not more or worse off than we were up to today, we just won't see ADDITIONAL protections afforded by legislation from the Obama administration taking place.

IMHO, and it sounds like possibly yours as well, it's a step backwards for citizen privacy protection, but it's not as if some switch is now turned off and the flooodgates can be opened and it's open season on citizen privacy.

As always though, stay safe out there and that requires using a VPN or some other masking technology, but that's no different than it has been for a long time now.

Last edited by nmenaker; Apr 3, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Not to get to wonky here, but if you are referring to recent legislation in the USA, technically nothing has changed and nothing will.

No, I'm not referring to the recent US legislation, but I am referring to what I see as the unpredictability of possible future legislation. Just general unpredictability in the US.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:57 pm

Has anyone tried NordVPN or Express VPN?

I'm currently using PIA and I'm thinking about switching to a new provider. It happens quite frequently where some sites I visit are blocked by the VPN and have to disconnect the VPN and reconnect again.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
Has anyone tried NordVPN or Express VPN?
Very pleased with NordVPN. No complaints with the service or reliability thus far. Their Windows software is fantastic, though my minor complaint is that it seems to be designed for the casual user. They got a bit cutesy with the design (which is great for newbies) but at the expense of sheer program speed (not so great for power users).

I don't recall having been blocked from any websites while on their IP range, but it definitely triggers those spam captcha tests a bit more often.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I use NordVPN. If you configure OpenVPN manually, you can choose to go over port 443 (SSL) which is never blocked by anyone.

If you want Nord, PM me and I will send a link. We both get a referral bonus.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Nord is one of the best VPN for features and functionality, but also usually pretty spendy. At the moment, its 79$ for 2 full years. That deal comes around every once and a while, but that is the best it gets for pricing.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Nord is one of the best VPN for features and functionality, but also usually pretty spendy. At the moment, its 79$ for 2 full years. That deal comes around every once and a while, but that is the best it gets for pricing.
I just purchased the two year deal Nord VPN today. I'm not comfortable using public wifi. I spend too much time in Starbucks and a local cafe near to my employment. Plus, I have a few international trips coming up. Very easy to set up on my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad. I was tethering my toys to my iPhone as I get 10g free with TMo, but I want to be safe and also not go over 10g, as I am a surf-a-holic. I don't remember the exact price, but it was $70 something.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I just purchased the two year deal Nord VPN today. I'm not comfortable using public wifi. I spend too much time in Starbucks and a local cafe near to my employment. Plus, I have a few international trips coming up. Very easy to set up on my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad. I was tethering my toys to my iPhone as I get 10g free with TMo, but I want to be safe and also not go over 10g, as I am a surf-a-holic. I don't remember the exact price, but it was $70 something.
Have you used it yet?
Old May 11, 2017, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Have you used it yet?
Yes, I used it yesterday. Worked as expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.