[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'd be cautious about assuming your experience is universal. I was in a foreign country week before last and the VPN I utilized streamed US Netflix content just fine.

Keep in mind, China is likely very, very high on Netflix's "target" list.

Regards
What do you mean by China high on Netflix's target list? One of my issues is that I spend a few months a year there and Netflix (via VPN) helps my sanity . There are no rights to deal with in China, Netflix has no current business in China, and yet I can't now watch my (fully paid for and recently more expensive) Netflix while traveling there. When I travel to the US, UK, HK, I can stream local content. In China, I just get a blocked message without VPN.

More details are welcome.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I haven't been able to watch US Netflix since January in Indonesia. I use PIA. Amazon Prime video works fine.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
What do you mean by China high on Netflix's target list? One of my issues is that I spend a few months a year there and Netflix (via VPN) helps my sanity . There are no rights to deal with in China, Netflix has no current business in China, and yet I can't now watch my (fully paid for and recently more expensive) Netflix while traveling there. When I travel to the US, UK, HK, I can stream local content. In China, I just get a blocked message without VPN.

More details are welcome.

Dr. PITUK
Netflix is not in China yet, but they are very keen to get access. Word on the street is that it will be launched later this year with a joint venture with Alibaba. However, I would say that any Netflix that will be allowed in China will be a severely watered down version due to censorship.

Regarding the blocking of VPN's by Netflix. That is the experience I have had in China since about March of this year. It has also been widely reported among the expat community that VPN's no longer work with Netflix. I haven't tried it in a while as I cancelled my account after that, so it may be different now. Obviously it would make sense for them to block VPN's now that they are in so many countries as I guess the studios are strict about licenses for specific regions.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by jjlmcgrath
Someone said Netflix is blocking all VPNs. I think that is a rather broad statement. They are targeting VPNs and they are blocking by IP address. So if the IP address you are using is not in a blocked pool of addresses you won't necessarily be blocked. In fairness to Netflix they only have content, the movies, based upon agreements with the studios. If the major studios tell Netflix they will not receive various titles if they do not actively block access there is little they can do. The issue is that content licensed for US viewing is not necessarily licensed for viewing in, for example, South Korea. The same is true with books. As an aside, this is why I have zero sympathy for the studios or theaters when they get up in arms about the dates of release to theaters versus release to streaming.
Everyone I know in China that has a VPN can no longer access Netflix and there have been a lot of news coverage about it all over the world. I don't know how they are doing it, but it is certainly working. I have a VPN service with hundreds of different servers and none of them work for Netflix, so whatever they are doing is working.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
then I realized that YouTube was still "banned" in China.
This note found in my hotel room in Peking says differently
Attached Images  
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
My experience has led me to believe that they are blocking IP ranges, and possibly also doing something additional to prevent rapid region changes. I find that the 2 commercial VPNs that I use have been blocked, but if I just route all of my web traffic through an SSH tunnel to a proxy server at my house, it works just fine. I'm just, then, limited to my house's outbound bandwidth, but that's better than complete blockage.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I use Zenmate, and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't ;(

If someone has a better free VPN version, please post!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:19 am

PIA are among the best and safest available.
You can choose many locations around the world and speeds can be almost 100% (from the original speed) up and down.
If you get blocked choose another IP (like this flyerforum block some).
So if you want the best it will cost. Servers Around the world have costs on them.
This will cost you 40USD a year.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:56 am

What about the VPN that comes baked into Opera Developer?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just returned from Greece where for some reason, I was able to use HBO Go and the Xfinity apps without turning on VPN first.

Now I was using the T mobile connection on my iPhone which I tethered to my iPad, to run those apps.

Maybe that resulted in a US address?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:00 am

I was connected via TMobile in Canada and CNN refused to let me stream but MSNBC worked and before anyone asks, "yes" I have my browser set to not share my location.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Hmm I think I only used apps, not the browser.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Just returned from Greece where for some reason, I was able to use HBO Go and the Xfinity apps without turning on VPN first.

Now I was using the T mobile connection on my iPhone which I tethered to my iPad, to run those apps.

When you're roaming, all of the traffic is tunneled back to the US so you will have had a US IP address.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by wco81

umm...did this kill your internet package? This sounds like it must have cost a small fortune...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:20 am
Suspended

No USA T-Mobile is running a promotion, free high-speed data roaming in Europe and Rio for July and August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.