Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:10 am

Considered Private Internet Access?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: SQ & QF
VPNArea is very good. Easy to use, fast and no limits. You also get hundreds of servers from loads of countries.

Last edited by FN-GM; Aug 31, 2015 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've been very happy with TorGuard. $30/yr, up to 5 devices simultaneously. Least expensive VPN that also included a Swedish server.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
Bump +1 ^^^

And they support 'heavy downloads'......
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Condition One
Not so much bandwidth, but security on WiFi networks and the such, especially while overseas. Thanks! Will be checking out other options mentioned in this thread.
Any reason you're changing - surely the speeds aren't that bad where you are at now? Plus there are some servers that even give 256-bit AES (Manchester, maybe there are others too) which seems as good as it gets right now.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hertz Five Star, Southwest A-List Preferred, Marriot Gold
Private Internet Access is great. It costs around $30/year, and gets high ratings with respect to privacy (no logs, etc.). In my experience, the speed is very good. I've been able to download some large files at 2-3 MB (not mb)/second using Private Internet Access.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:37 pm

I am using the Asus co-branded T-Mobile router at home which offers a VPN set-up. Is it better to use a third party VPN or set-up the VPN using my router? Appreciate all thoughts!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:09 pm

CactusVPN is very modern and has great guides on how to set up all your devices. $4/mo.

I use it to enable Spotify, video services and Apple Music on airplane WiFis, where these services are typically blocked.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
I am using the Asus co-branded T-Mobile router at home which offers a VPN set-up. Is it better to use a third party VPN or set-up the VPN using my router? Appreciate all thoughts!
Just depends what your goal is. If you trust your home ISP not to monkey with traffic then it's just fine. I do the same thing with my home router.

Originally Posted by kinimodb
CactusVPN is very modern and has great guides on how to set up all your devices. $4/mo.

I use it to enable Spotify, video services and Apple Music on airplane WiFis, where these services are typically blocked.
Oh, so YOU'RE the person hogging all the bandwidth on the plane.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Just depends what your goal is. If you trust your home ISP not to monkey with traffic then it's just fine. I do the same thing with my home router.
Third party VPN providers are probably still better for most people unless you're lucky to have fairly good upload speeds at home. 5 megabits/sec (which is what I'm currently getting) is just good enough for Web browsing, though non-HD Netflix seemed to work when connected to my OpenVPN server too. It's good enough for my purposes though because I don't really trust the third party providers all that much.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:11 am

Free / Inexpensive VPN?

Does anyone know of any free (or inexpensive) VPN service that is fairly reliable? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by KiaOra
Does anyone know of any free (or inexpensive) VPN service that is fairly reliable? Thanks for any suggestions.
I wouldn't trust a free service to protect my data, unless I knew how the company was otherwise making money (eg are they making money selling a corporate package and give a bit to consumers for free, or will they be tempted to make money by selling access to my data?).

How inexpensive is "inexpensive"? I think $4 or $5 a month is inexpensive, which is the average cost of most reputable VPNs.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by KiaOra
Both witopia and pia are very reliable and reasonably priced.
Detail discussion of both available on this thread, read a few pages back.

Last edited by dtsm; Nov 22, 2015 at 5:56 am
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
hidemyass.com works as well, although it's been a while since i've used them.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had a service for a year, but couldn't get it to install on my ipad. Would need 1-2 laptops, and 2 ipads covered.

Primarily looking for US Netflix/Amazon streaming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.