Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Game Changer for Cell Industry?

Game Changer for Cell Industry?

Old Mar 25, 10, 7:51 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 35,366
Game Changer for Cell Industry?

Interesting....and if this app could use 3G or 4G data in addition to Wifi...what then?

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...o-sidestep-att

Line2 also turns the iPhone into a dual-mode phone. That is, it can make and receive calls either using either the AT&T airwaves as usual, or -- now this is the best part -- over the Internet. Any time you're in a wireless hot spot, Line2 places its calls over Wi-Fi instead of AT&T's network.

That's a game-changer. Where, after all, is cellphone reception generally the worst? Right -- indoors. In your house or your office building, precisely where you have Wi-Fi. Line2 in Wi-Fi means rock-solid, confident reception indoors.

Line2 also runs on the iPod Touch. When you're in a Wi-Fi hot spot, your Touch is now a full-blown cellphone, and you don't owe AT&T a penny.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Mar 25, 10, 10:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Posts: 8,090
Umm... aren't these phones all over Asia?
Braindrain is offline  
Old Mar 25, 10, 10:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 7,249
how is this different than Skype on the iPhone?
gj83 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 5:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,548
The site and app are temporarily down:

http://technologizer.com/2010/03/26/line2-goes-down/
Dubai Stu is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 5:59 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Canada / USA
Posts: 6,059
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
how is this different than Skype on the iPhone?
I believe Skype is prohibited from routing calls over AT&T's mobile data network, so it works only over wi-fi. This app doesn't have that restriction...
YYZC2 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 6:09 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ORD MDW
Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Posts: 6,624
This will make a big difference when pepole are in weak or no coverage zones.
Geographic areas with mountainous terrain also come to mind.
sobore is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 6:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,548
Originally Posted by YYZC2 View Post
I believe Skype is prohibited from routing calls over AT&T's mobile data network, so it works only over wi-fi. This app doesn't have that restriction...
Apple has announced that VOIP over 3g is permitted. Skype mysteriously has not emerged even though Acronis, Vonage, WiPhone and others have released 3g versions. Some people are attributing this to Skype's new deal with Verizon.
Dubai Stu is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 6:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,178
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Umm... aren't these phones all over Asia?


It's not a phone that's being discussed, it's an app.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 10:05 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Posts: 8,090
Yeah, it's an app that emulates what has already been on the market for years.

Thus, I question why it's a "game changer".
Braindrain is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 12:53 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,486
Any time David Pogue calls something a "game changer", I roll my eyes.

The guy has no frikkin clue what he is talking about. He's taking a pretty basic VOIP service, and making it sound like nothing that has ever been done before.

"make and receive calls either using either the AT&T airwaves as usual, or -- now this is the best part -- over the Internet."

Seriously? The company must have paid him a fortune to post such a piece of rubbish.
ScottC is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 1:03 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,917
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Any time David Pogue calls something a "game changer", I roll my eyes.

The guy has no frikkin clue what he is talking about. He's taking a pretty basic VOIP service, and making it sound like nothing that has ever been done before.

"make and receive calls either using either the AT&T airwaves as usual, or -- now this is the best part -- over the Internet."

Seriously? The company must have paid him a fortune to post such a piece of rubbish.
I could not agree more. Been using a voip app on my mytouch for a while now....nothing new here.
mcgahat is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 1:06 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 35,366
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Yeah, it's an app that emulates what has already been on the market for years.

Thus, I question why it's a "game changer".
I'm not aware of any app you can put on your iPhone that has the same integrated functionality as the iPhone's own dialer, not to mention the rich list of features. I'm guessing you can no-answer-transfer your cell number to the Line2 number in case you have a Wifi signal so it handles incoming calls as well as outgoing.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 1:25 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,486
Apparently the app has already been pulled - because of hackers?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...omputer-attack
ScottC is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 1:52 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 15,788
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Apparently the app has already been pulled - because of hackers?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...omputer-attack
Hmm. Just read this thread. It is still in the App Store, so I grabbed it.
birdstrike is offline  
Old Mar 26, 10, 3:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Somewhat similar to the truphone app (Not truphone anywhere sim card) for Nokia and Iphone. Truphone gives you an incoming US/UK number for free.

Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
Hmm. Just read this thread. It is still in the App Store, so I grabbed it.
mrcamp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: