Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
WiFi in Tokyo?

This query is somewhere between Japan and Travel Technology. I'm re-posting this query from the Japan forum, where it got some looks but no answers.

I've got an 3G iPhone and will staying for a bit over a week in Tokyo. It's leisure, so I don't need to be connected for work, but would like to be able to make some outgoing phone calls (that aren't outrageously expensive), send email, and check out the internet.

I'm staying in an apartment with free ethernet/LAN, so I'm planning on using an AirPort Express to generate wifi while I'm at home (as I gather there's no way to connect directly with an iPhone). I plan to make outgoing calls using TruPhone (one of the voip apps you can get at iTunes for the iPhone) for $0.06/minute to landlines or $0.30/minute to mobiles. Unfortunately you can't yet use it for incoming calls, but that shouldn't be an issue---I routinely travel without any sort of phone at all.

While out and about I'd like to be able to use wifi to do various web-based sorts of tasks, and here's where the big question comes up: how much wifi is there? My general impression is "not much", but then I found this press release from Boingo: http://www.boingo.com/pr/pr156.php

The content is summed up by the headline:

"BOINGO BLANKETS METROPOLITAN TOKYO THROUGH ROAMING AGREEMENT WITH JAPANESE NETWORKING GIANT LIVEDOOR" with metropolitan Tokyo being described as "within the Yamanote line" (so hardly all of metro Tokyo, but not bad).

So, does anybody have any firsthand experience with Boingo in Tokyo? They're presently offering a free one month trial of their Boingo Mobile product (normally $7.95 a month, http://mobile.boingo.com/?= ), so there's not much risk to signing up, but it would be nice to know that the coverage actually is pretty good.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only thing I'll caution you on is that most of the Boingo plans are domestic only, with significant up-charges for international roaming. Read the fine print closely on your plan before logging on.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

The Boingo Mobile product is specifically marketed as being international. The limitation is that you're not supposed to use it for anything other than a handheld device (phone/PDA sort of item) and specifically not for a laptop.

I have emailed their customer service to inquire specifically about Tokyo coverage as well as any potential extra charges.

In the interim, any firsthand experience would be much appreciated. I'll update this thread myself when I return from my trip.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by yamakake
The Boingo Mobile product is specifically marketed as being international. The limitation is that you're not supposed to use it for anything other than a handheld device (phone/PDA sort of item) and specifically not for a laptop.
Gotcha...I was thinking of the laptop product.

In looking at the Mobile product it looks like the iPhone isn't supported. That may be a problem for you.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I noticed that the the iPhone wasn't listed as a supported device, but iTunes does have a Boingo app (that appears to be pretty recently introduced, as there weren't in any reviews when I first looked at it, and then the next day there were three) available for downloading (free). I included that in my query to Boingo Customer Support and will hopefully hear back soon.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Heard back from Customer Support and Boingo, and they assure me that Boingo's just fine for the iPhone, and that coverage in Tokyo should be fine.

So, we'll see.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm back from Tokyo, and here's the update:

Boingo was not only useless in Tokyo, but the one and only instance in which it did find wifi was at the big fancy Sanborn's in downtown Mexico City. And then it still couldn't connect me.

Now to yell at them.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:26 pm

was there any wifi in tokyo that was available?

hi there:::

yamakake - I signed up for boingo (and actually just sent you a PM before seeing this post, sorry about that). now i see that you already responded that boingo wifi was useless in tokyo. were there any open networks when you were there, or were you able to find some paid system? I want to use maps quite a bit, and don't want to pay att's huge data roaming charges...

thanks for any info!
Old May 6, 2009, 2:38 pm

I took at Nokia E71 to Singapore with Boingo Symbian on it and was making calls all over the place, downloading mail, and barely ever had to go to cellular. I didn't buy a local SIM. I used VOIP and a United Mobile (now defunct) roaming SIM and got buy beautifully.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: MP 1P
FWIW, I just found out a chain of pasta restaurants called "PoPoLa Mama." (ポポラママ) offers free WiFi through freespot.com.

They are located all over Tokyo and the suburbs. Hope it helps!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Kinda works in Tokyo, definitely works in Hong Kong

I signed up with Boingo Mobile right before I left for Tokyo last year (Dec 31 ). When I landed with my iPhone, I was able to select "NRT-AIRPORT" in my wireless settings, fired up the Boingo Mobile app and voila, SUCCESS! I was able to pull down mail, send many Ping! messages and check on logistics.

Boingo Mobile says that they have a roaming arrangement with Mobilepoint which has many of the wi-fi spots in McDonalds and other places. Unfortunately, if a wireless network needs a key (padlock in front of the network name in the wireless settings), if you choose that network, the iPhone will prompt you for a password. Which Boingo has not seen fit to provide . Is there a generic network password that will allow my iPhone to get onto the network so I can log in?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
The lobby of the Courtyard by Marriott in Ginza has free WiFi, and of course the Delta Crown Room at NRT has it inside as well.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Some years ago I started a thread on WiFi in Tokyo and Kyoto and posted my experiences at different sites around those cities. It is a bit old but might be useful if you can find it with a search in the Japan forum.

In terms of Boingo, I cant say anything about billing at Japanese sites but I have had Boingo Mobile on my iPhone for almost a year and the app works fairly well.

Heck, edited to add I just saw the date of the OP. In any case, the iPhone app works well

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 5, 2010 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
OMG it actually works!

Last time, there was an issue with getting the WEP key for the Mobilepoint hotspots to join the network so I could run the Boingo app.

After being on permahold for 19 minutes, Tech support provided me with a number which got me onto the network. Once online and confirming this with the Mobilepoint/Livedoor login page up on my iPhone, I fired up the Boingo App. Over a minute later, I got online!! I'm in a McD's in a residental part of Shinjuku writing this post and having an Ebi-O on the Boingo/Mobilepoint network.

Guess I'll keep my subscription active and see how well this service works in Germany come MR time...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:56 am

I'm in Japan and purchased a wifi service,wi2, which allows me to connect to different services like mobilepoint. It worked with my phone but I could not get the login menu with my laptop. I tried changing the browser settings as suggested in their FAQ but still could not get it working. Are there anyone who has the similar experience and a solution?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.