Wiki Posts
Search

Kindle: ripoff pricing for overseas book purchases

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Angry Kindle: ripoff pricing for overseas book purchases

I live in Japan and have really been wanting to get a Kindle. But it seems that book downloads in Japan automatically cost about 20% more than downloads in the US ($11.99 for bestsellers and new titles vs. $9.99 in the US). And what's worse, even the cheaper older titles always seem to cost more than a traditional paperback.

Can someone please explain:

1. Why do I have to pay 20% more just because I live in Japan? It costs them nothing to transmit the book to me over the Internet. iTunes doesn't charge more for overseas downloads of music and video.

2. Why do e-books cost more than paperback versions?? Considering that the manufacturing and distribution cost of an e-book is basically zero, why the %$*@ should I have to pay more??

This is nothing but pure, unadulterated ripoff pricing.

Is there any way around the bogus surcharge for overseas downloads? Do any of you tech whizzes know how to fool Amazon into thinking my computer is in the US?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I live in Japan and have really been wanting to get a Kindle. But it seems that book downloads in Japan automatically cost about 20% more than downloads in the US ($11.99 for bestsellers and new titles vs. $9.99 in the US). And what's worse, even the cheaper older titles always seem to cost more than a traditional paperback.

Can someone please explain:

1. Why do I have to pay 20% more just because I live in Japan? It costs them nothing to transmit the book to me over the Internet. iTunes doesn't charge more for overseas downloads of music and video.

2. Why do e-books cost more than paperback versions?? Considering that the manufacturing and distribution cost of an e-book is basically zero, why the %$*@ should I have to pay more??

This is nothing but pure, unadulterated ripoff pricing.

Is there any way around the bogus surcharge for overseas downloads? Do any of you tech whizzes know how to fool Amazon into thinking my computer is in the US?
1) If you're getting it as an over-the-air download, the surcharge is to pay for international roaming. I think international Kindles have AT&T SIM cards in them, and AT&T's non-discounted roaming data rate is on the order of $20/MB. Of course, Amazon gets a better deal, but they're just passing on the cost.

If it's not an OTA download, then that's just the price of living in Japan. Most things are more expensive. The workaround there is to create an Amazon account with US addresses and linked to a US-issued credit card.

2) Yes. Not Amazon's fault though - in a lot of cases, they weren't making any money on the bestsellers - they were paying $12-14 to the publisher, then selling it at $9.99 as a loss leader to keep the prices low enough to drive Kindle sales. You can blame e-book pricing solely on the publishers, same as you can blame $1.29/track iTunes pricing on record labels.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Lots of things have variable pricing around the world. Zara is the Gap of Spain. Here in the states, it's been recast as a luxury brand. A 5 Euro tee shirt is $25 in the states. Apple is another example. Most of their products are 30% more overseas. Capitalism at work.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The answer to all of yoru questions is "they charge more because they can and pople still buy it".
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Capitalism at work.
Also refered as market pricing or charging what the market will bear?

D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.