Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't know about iPhoneTrip but AT&T SIMs roam on SFR when I used my iPhone 3G in Paris and the Loire last September. I think depending on the location, it roamed on Orange too.

Only for phone calls though not data.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:56 pm

I'd love to compare iPhone Trip's roaming list with ATT's to see if there is any differences (as a clue to whether it is using the ATT network). Will it work on TMobile in the US? Will it roam in Cuba? Etc.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
OPTUS and telstra is what showed on the phone when on
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
OPTUS and telstra is what showed on the phone when on
Roaming on Telstra in OZ is a very good thing, a sign that these guys are legit (Telstra's the big fish in the pond, with better service than the two or three other, cheaper providers).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:34 am

Seriously, they are legit. I used them, it worked. ATT data usage shows when I activate the profile at home, shows no usage when I was gone, it worked back on my phone when I deleted the profile when I returned. Not sure why you keep doubting this? Do you really think I would make it all up?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Seriously, they are legit. I used them, it worked. ATT data usage shows when I activate the profile at home, shows no usage when I was gone, it worked back on my phone when I deleted the profile when I returned. Not sure why you keep doubting this? Do you really think I would make it all up?
You misunderstood my meaning of "legit." By roaming with Telstra, my point was that they're working with high-quality partners, not the least-expensive telcos that might not have very good coverage. That, to me, is "legit" (as opposed to, I guess, "legal?" I'm past that!).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:17 pm

iPhonetrip.com the real deal

Hi I just wanted to pass along my experience using iPhonetrip for a recent business trip to Europe. My setup was a Novatel MiFi 2352 with an iPhonetrip.com SIM card. Using this I connected my Android phone and iPad.

Overall I was quite pleased with the experience. I got a Budget Europe plan for $15/day unlimited 3G service (looks like it is $15.99 now) as I was not going to use any voice/texts on this plan. I had to fiddle with the MiFi settings a bit when entering the APN settings for the SIM card but I eventually got it working. The SIM was automatically activated at midnight on the day of my arrival and deactivated at my specified time.

I used this setup in Belgium, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland, the UK and Austria. It worked perfectly fine in every country and I was getting 3G speeds in each of these countries. Unfortunately I didn't do any speed tests or anything but did not notice any slowness with my usual browsing activity. I had a bit of trouble getting a connection in Romania but I think this was due to some peculiarities in Romania specifically because I had a company-issued Blackberry that never connected there. Eventually I did get a connection with the MiFi/iphone trip SIM it just took a couple of hours.

As of yet I have not received a final bill from them to see what my ultimate cost/MB was but I can definitely say that I will use this service again whenever I do my trips overseas. Obviously if you are going to be in one country for a period of time (like a week or more) it's cheaper to just get a SIM for that specific country but I like iPhonetrip's versatility and ease of use.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:21 pm

IPhoneTrip working great so far in UK n Florence Italy. Typing this post now on my android phone with the SIM. Roaming on TIM. I'm getting 3g n H sometimes as indicated on my phone. Used voip without any problems also.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:22 pm

great

IPhoneTrip working great so far in UK n Florence Italy. Typing this post now on my android phone with the SIM. Roaming on TIM. I'm getting 3g n H sometimes as indicated on my phone. Used voip without any problems also.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:18 pm

Update, just received my first phone bill since returning 3 wks ago. Same amount as every other month.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:22 pm

Update, just received my first phone bill since returning 3 wks ago. Same amount as every other month.
So now I'm conflicted. Do I use my jailbroken 3G as a wifi hotspot, or my 4G which could not be used that way (requiring me to remove the sim from the phone and use it in my laptop via a dongle)?

This assumes that I am correctly remembering that a 4G non-jailbroken phone cannot be used as a wifi hotspot using iPhoneTrip.

The amount of electronics I carry with me when I travel... the entire NORAD complex in the early 60s was probably run with less CPU power than I routinely carry with me.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:26 pm

I'm in the same pickle. I was thinking of using a 3G as a wifi hotspot, bc of the arsenal of stuff I'm taking with me. iPad, wife's blackberry, my blackberry, laptop etc. I was even considering the hotspot they have that connects up to 5 devices. Let me know which one u decide on. Will the wifi on the 3G really work? Thanks
Old May 11, 2011, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Mac laptops can share a 3G connection as Wifi.

Perhaps Windows 7 laptops too.

Trick is getting the 3G USB modem working.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So now I'm conflicted. Do I use my jailbroken 3G as a wifi hotspot, or my 4G which could not be used that way (requiring me to remove the sim from the phone and use it in my laptop via a dongle)?

This assumes that I am correctly remembering that a 4G non-jailbroken phone cannot be used as a wifi hotspot using iPhoneTrip.

The amount of electronics I carry with me when I travel... the entire NORAD complex in the early 60s was probably run with less CPU power than I routinely carry with me.
I bought one sim and transferred it back and forth between my Iphone4 and my IPad. My hotels had free wireless so it really wasn't a major issue, I didnt really need more than one connection away from the hotel at any given time.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:10 pm

I noticed that iPhone Trip's website now lists other devices that they will rent other devices with their SIM which suggests that they are really wide open. If I insert my iPhone SIM into another phone, it will instantly deactivate my plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.