Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
For Italy, definitely go with local SIM. They have some of the lowest prepaid data prices anywhere, with good fast networks, usually better than the Wifi offered at many hotels.

It is complicated though, as you have to get a codice fiscale to get a SIM.

Info. at prepaidgsm.net.

It sounds like iPhonetrip would be competitive for France and maybe Spain and when you're going to more than one country.

But for a single country with a competitive mobile market like Italy, you can save a lot of money, probably get away with 20 Euros or so for a couple of weeks.

iPhonetrip would be more useful too if you can use their SIMs on Mifis to get multiple devices online, which is what XCom Global offers. XCom appears to be using local SIMs though so if you go to more than one country, then it becomes way more expensive.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by losta
I spoke with iphone trip this morning, and then ordered a sim card for 20 days. They must be subcontracting from AT&T because they said I don't have to change my at&t APN settings, I just need to turn on roaming. Now I have to go find my SIM remover.

Thanks for the info Mr. Mama.
When you get the SIm you will need to go to a website to download the apn profile and install it. Once you do this, it changes the phone number for your cell. So I did it right before I boarded, so it was activated when I landed.

on the way home make sure you remove the apn profile or your visual voicemail won't work.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by pinkdog
I using them for my upcoming trip to Italy.
I'll be traveling in Venice, Florence, and Rome. I would be using this in a non-iphone phone. I have an unlocked HTC HD2 with android. So we'll see how it goes with a non-iphone. I should be getting my sim card tomorrow.
Does it work with android? Did you ask?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by wco81
For Italy, definitely go with local SIM. They have some of the lowest prepaid data prices anywhere, with good fast networks, usually better than the Wifi offered at many hotels.

Info. at prepaidgsm.net.

It sounds like iPhonetrip would be competitive for France and maybe Spain and when you're going to more than one country.

But for a single country with a competitive mobile market like Italy, you can save a lot of money, probably get away with 20 Euros or so for a couple of weeks.

iPhonetrip would be more useful too if you can use their SIMs on Mifis to get multiple devices online, which is what XCom Global offers. XCom appears to be using local SIMs though so if you go to more than one country, then it becomes way more expensive.
If you have a locked Iphone, you don't have many choices if you want to use your Iphone and your apps. The other SIMs won't work in a locked iphone
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's true and I have a locked iPhone 3GS but also an unlocked 3G modem.

I used the modem on a MacBook Pro and then shared that connection via Wifi with the iPhone last year.

This year, I'll either get a Mifi or a portable Cradlepoint for a trip to Sicily.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: SPG Jet Blue Delta AA
I'm doing the same pinkdog.
Venice, Florence Rome + Conque Terre and Siena. I leave a week from tomorrow. I have the iphone w/iphonetrip and will buy a SIM card from TIM or Wind for my Android Nexus S.

Originally Posted by pinkdog
I using them for my upcoming trip to Italy.
I'll be traveling in Venice, Florence, and Rome. I would be using this in a non-iphone phone. I have an unlocked HTC HD2 with android. So we'll see how it goes with a non-iphone. I should be getting my sim card tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'm sure if they were doing something illegal AT&T would sue them in a minute. I am trying to decide if I want to go with iphonetrip for $285 (3 weeks in Italy) or AT&T international data for $199+. I know with iphonetrip it would be a finite amount and I wouldn't have to worry about data usage at all. But I wonder if it would just be easier to stick with my AT&T.

How could there be a potential for a megabill, you remove your AT&T sim card?

Info. at prepaidgsm.net.

If you have an unlocked phone, or you can unlock the phone, I agree that the local SIM in Italy is absolutely the way to go. I used a TIM SIM with a mifi 2352 with outstanding results for both the laptop and my Verizon Android (which will not work OTA outside the US.)
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:28 am

Info. at prepaidgsm.net.

yes you're right in getting an local sim card is cheaper. But for me i'll be in UK also. So its easier for me to just get 1 thing for everywhere to use.

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Does it work with android? Did you ask?
I didn't specifically ask if it would work with android but they said it would work with any unlocked GSM device. My phone is unlocked and takes ATT sim card. I already tried my friends US ATT card in my phone and all is well. So im hoping it would work also. We will see soon =).

I'm doing the same pinkdog.
Venice, Florence Rome + Conque Terre and Siena. I leave a week from tomorrow. I have the iphone w/iphonetrip and will buy a SIM card from TIM or Wind for my Android Nexus S.
Great! hopefully everything will be smooth for us. Have a safe and fun trip!.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I just talked to someone there on the phone. Very interesting idea. I am going to Australia for two week in April, and for unlimited data on both IPad and IPhone (sharing a sim between both) and using skype, it's 15 a day. I don't think I would use voice calls that much and have to say that it beats unlocking my IPhone 4 and stressing about if it will work there. I didn't order yet, but if I can't find another solution I think this is the way to go.
For about the same price, maybe slightly less, you can get a 3G USB dongle for your laptop. I got one from Telstra, which worked great. Hardware + 1 gig data was about $90 if I recall correctly. But I like the iPhoneTrip program better for its simplicity and being able to use the iPhone. Plus you don't have to go into a store and deal with the Australian language barrier.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:22 pm

I didn't travel with my laptop, just my IPad and IPhone. When needed could easily switch the SIQM between both!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
More info from iPhoneTrip

First, they respond quickly to messages. A good thing! ^

I had asked them about tethering with an iPhone 4, and they said no, that would not work unless jailbroken, and mentioned there are apps on Cydia that would do the trick.

I'm thinking my best bet is going to be to jailbreak my old 3G phone, install a tethering app on it, and use the iPhoneTrip sim. Since that phone is not in any way connected to AT&T contractually, and since AT&T cannot claim to own it in any way shape or form, there's not much to go wrong. And I can use it as a mobile mifi gadget, if I'm understanding things correctly.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:35 pm

I think you are understanding things perfectly. MyWi in the Cydia appstore is the leading tethering app. PDANet is #2. They cannot coexist on the same phone. If you install one, it will remove the other to avoid a big time conflict. If you jailbreak your phone, also install SB Settings which is a free app for the iPhone which lets you swipe on and off a number of settings and see your current memory consumption and kill processes.

I generally like to keep my "Available Memory" over 50 MBs when I am doing things like tethering. Everything seems happier. The program is free.

I also recommend signing up for a free Google Voice number and forwarding your personal US Mobile to Google Voice as you get on the plane. You'll get visual voicemail of the calls left on that phone, together with the ability to have free text messages back to the US.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
First, they respond quickly to messages. A good thing! ^

I had asked them about tethering with an iPhone 4, and they said no, that would not work unless jailbroken, and mentioned there are apps on Cydia that would do the trick.

I'm thinking my best bet is going to be to jailbreak my old 3G phone, install a tethering app on it, and use the iPhoneTrip sim. Since that phone is not in any way connected to AT&T contractually, and since AT&T cannot claim to own it in any way shape or form, there's not much to go wrong. And I can use it as a mobile mifi gadget, if I'm understanding things correctly.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:17 am

Make sure you check to see if Iphone trip provides a SIM for the 3G phone. The 3G phone, does not use the mini sim as the newer phones and the IPAD.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:38 pm

Make sure you check to see if Iphone trip provides a SIM for the 3G phone. The 3G phone, does not use the mini sim as the newer phones and the IPAD.
I think you can order either a traditional SIM or a microsim. I replaced my 3gs SIM tray with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-i.../dp/B004KMNQKU
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: QFF SG
iphonetrip.com in France

Has anyone used iphonetrip.com in France and can you tell me which network it uses? I have an unlocked Huawei E585 (a "MiFi" type device for Americans) which is UMTS 2100 and UMTS900 so I am interested to know which network iphonetrip.com roams onto.

I plan to use the E585, along with a number of iPhones and an iPad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.