Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
A number of speed tests at different places and times would be helpful.

In some cases, it might be superior to a lot of Hotel Wifi, even when they charge you some ridiculous sum for it.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Using 3G sitting by the pool at the Hilton. Speedtest app says

First test ping 1264
Download 1.25
Upload 1.34

Does not seem slow.

My apps all work
Gps works great
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Are you using a Mifi device?

Would be interesting to try FaceTime or other streaming applications.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:09 pm

Not using mfi. Skype audio calls work perfectly, did not try video. Have wireless here at Hikton, seems a bit slow compared to my 3G. Went yomaphillips aslant yesterday and had a few places along the way that I lost coverage, but not that big of a deal.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:05 am

Update- have used it since Thursday morning, it is now Monday Evening. Have been to Melbourne, now in Sydney. Been on the ferry going to Manly and even in the middle of the Harbour, no problems. I'm having more issues with the Hiltons wireless than the Sim card. Due to wireless issues at the Hilton have had to transfer the SIM card back and forth between IPAD and IPhone more than I planned, but both devices pick up on it immediately and with my handy dandy paperclip I can transfer in about 10 seconds. Did realize the speed tests I ran before were connecting to servers back in the US. I have not noticed speed issues and am actually uploading photos regularly to photobucket without issues.

Have been using Skype to call home and actually was able to Skype a video call live during a concert bachome for about 40 min before the show was over. Crystal clear quality.

Will keep you updated!
Will keep you updated,
Still have another week.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:53 am
Suspended

Do you have any idea how much data you've downloaded/uploaded?

It's displayed under Settings but it might get reset if you remove the SIM.

Or maybe it had to be reset first so that the data you used with your regular SIM isn't reflected.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:18 pm

I have not downloaded any large files, primarily using it for email, uploading pictures, reading websites and using Twitter and video Skype. On the IPhone , I hit reset the day after I arrived as I forgot to do it before I landed it says, sent 138mb, received 529mb. On the iPad I never reset it so couldn't tell you. Sorry. However, you do get 7gb a week, for the $15 a day. I plan to download a few tv shows before I head back on Sunday.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I have not downloaded any large files, primarily using it for email, uploading pictures, reading websites and using Twitter and video Skype. On the IPhone , I hit reset the day after I arrived as I forgot to do it before I landed it says, sent 138mb, received 529mb. On the iPad I never reset it so couldn't tell you. Sorry. However, you do get 7gb a week, for the $15 a day. I plan to download a few tv shows before I head back on Sunday.

Let us know if it thinks you are in the US for those downloads.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:53 pm

I was able to download Survivor from the ITunes app without a problem.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:52 pm

Does anyone have a guess as to how these guys do it? The phone recognizes the SIM as AT&T, but the carriers recognize it as something else (and do not bill AT&T).
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:29 pm
Suspended

That reminds of the case of a guy who went to Mexico with a 3G modem card and downloaded a gig Pixar movie for his grandson and was billed $64k.

After the uproar, AT&T claimed they could only cut the bill to 1/2 or 1/4 of that, which represented what the Mexican network charged them for roaming.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by jonu
Does anyone have a guess as to how these guys do it? The phone recognizes the SIM as AT&T, but the carriers recognize it as something else (and do not bill AT&T).
I think it is an ATT SIM. There are some corporate accounts with unlimited iPhone international data. Maybe they have MVNO status. Their AP matches ATT's as well and they offer US voice plans.

Beyond that, it is possible to write a SIM that falsely identify itself as belonging to one network when it doesn't There are devices which do precisely that to bypass carrier locks. See, e.g.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/unl...tsimunlock.htm
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:03 am

It does show up as Cingular in the profile. I add problems with Skype calls connecting today but was at the beach and in a somewhat remote area. Still a few days left, but pretty happy how it is working.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
It does show up as Cingular in the profile. I add problems with Skype calls connecting today but was at the beach and in a somewhat remote area. Still a few days left, but pretty happy how it is working.
The acid test will be checking your AT&T bill a few weeks are you get back. I, as is the case with many others, have issues with a sim card that can be used in an AT&T locked iPhone. That means you're roaming, as far as the iPhone is concerned. Which means that iphonetrip must have some sort of agreement for roaming with AT&T... has anybody called AT&T to ask them about this?

Just sent this email to iPhonetrip. Will let people here know what I hear back!

I am curious how you can use your sim in a "locked" AT&T iPhone. AT&T says this can't be done. Do you have an agreement with AT&T so that you're actually roaming with AT&T as the native carrier?

I have a trip to France in July and want to make sure, if I use your service, that I don't come home to a massive data bill. :-)

By the way, I heard about your service on Flyertalk. Thanks! --Mike--

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Apr 17, 2011 at 12:39 pm Reason: more info
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:29 pm

Mike,

Since you've swapped out your SIM card for an iPhonetrip SIM, you could not be billed by ATT for your usage. As long as iPhonetrip works as promised you're good. So far, tt looks like they work as promised.

As long as the iPhonetrip SIM is in your phone, they're getting the bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.