Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Old Feb 23, 11, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Anyone else try this service recently?

Looks like prices start out at about the same level as XCom Global.

But if you visit more than one country on a trip, XCom Global's prices go up while iPhoneTrip is offering a "universal" SIM?
Old Mar 4, 11, 1:36 am

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Anyone else try this service recently?

Looks like prices start out at about the same level as XCom Global.

But if you visit more than one country on a trip, XCom Global's prices go up while iPhoneTrip is offering a "universal" SIM?
I'm curious as well. I'm considering this versus just buying a micro SIM from TIM network while in Italy as its 3 Euros a week for unlimited internet.
Old Mar 7, 11, 7:12 am

Taking the plunge

Well I have to say that this thread was all but useless in terms of figuring out if iphonetrip.com works or not. Either way, I've checked around for all options and for $15/day unlimited 3G I'll take the risk. Am with T-Mobile and they have no reasonable international data plans.

I am going to plug this SIM card into my MiFi 2352 and connect my phone and iPad to it. Will let y'all know how this works out...am taking it to Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic, Poland and then the UK.
Old Mar 7, 11, 11:07 am

I thought there were some reviews on some blogs but yeah, it would be nice to have some real reviews from FTers.

Not bad covering all those countries with one SIM. Will be curious to see the coverage in some of those countries. UK probably will be fine.
Old Mar 7, 11, 8:53 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
I ordered the iphonetrip.com 3G SIM for traveling in Italy next week.

I was going back and forth between them and Italy carriers, but the big decision maker was I did NOT have to unlock my phone to use their SIM.

During my stay, I will be traveling around Venice, Florence and Rome and hoping this service works the entire time... I had them send me an email confirming 3G coverage along my journey in those spots.

I'll make notes and post the findings, but from what they claim, I am 100% covered
Old Mar 7, 11, 9:39 pm

Would be great if it worked. Hopefully they roam on TIM's network more than the others.

In my trips to Italy, I've ruled out some agriturismi as accommodations because there was no Wifi. If OTOH they could get 3G coverage and you can get an affordable plan ...

Though you'd need a Mifi more than an iPhone, assuming you're packing something other than a smart phone.
Old Mar 7, 11, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG Jet Blue Delta AA
I am looking forward to the review of how this works for your trip to Italy. I am traveling there in late April for 3 weeks to Venice, Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre and Rome. I have both an iPhone and android phone. I prefer the iPhone but don't want to risk a giant AT&T data bill even if I got the $199 plan. The iPhone Trip SIM would cost me $285. I will also get a TIM SIM for my android in Italy. I am planning to have my regular AT&T calls forwarded to Google voice so I can get my messages through email.
Old Mar 7, 11, 10:24 pm

Italy is an interesting test case.

There are at least 3 national carriers, one of whom offers a decent Android phone for 99 Euro which can be used to tether other devices apparently.
Old Mar 8, 11, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I just talked to someone there on the phone. Very interesting idea. I am going to Australia for two week in April, and for unlimited data on both IPad and IPhone (sharing a sim between both) and using skype, it's 15 a day. I don't think I would use voice calls that much and have to say that it beats unlocking my IPhone 4 and stressing about if it will work there. I didn't order yet, but if I can't find another solution I think this is the way to go.
Old Mar 10, 11, 9:13 am

happy iphonetrip experience

This has been a long delayed review of my experience with iphonetrip. My apologies to anyone who was considering using the service but thought it might be a scam or bad company. I thought the same thing but took the risk, with the intent that I would put up a truthful review upon my return. Real life reviews are the only thing we have to rely on! The company is no sham. I am now considering a trip to Japan and want to use iphonetrip again. I just now searched for more current reviews to see how the company was doing, only to find few, useful reviews.

I used two sim cards for travel throughout Europe last year (one for me and my husband's iphone). It was well worth the expense to be able to use GPS and other apps whenever I wanted, for as long as I wanted. There were a couple of quirks while on my trip: I only purchased data, no voice. The phone rang a few times with someone trying to reach a previous user of that telephone number/sim card. Upon my return, iphonetrip informed me that they stopped recycling sims, so that should not happen again. Two weeks into my trip, I couldn't get a signal for my phone (although my husband's phone was working fine). I emailed iphonetrip and a few hours later all was working fine. About 3 weeks into the trip, my phone bricked (later, my husband's did as well), which required a connection to itunes and full restore. We lost all pictures, apps and data, but afterwards, the phone worked fine. Not sure if it was sim card related or just tech glitch. Be sure to send important things to the cloud!

My experience was great and I'm going to use iphone trip again. Sure beats trying to find a foreign carrier that will provide unlimited data on a monthly basis, without a long-term contract!
Old Mar 10, 11, 10:50 am

Losing all my data, photos, would be a major black mark against this. I am not traveling with my laptop so would not have access to Itunes, which means I would be without a phone. This would make me nerbouvs.

Anyone else use it? I have a few weeks left to pull the trigger
Old Mar 13, 11, 2:33 pm

I just found this review online, it seems like it worked great for him. I'm going to bite the bullet and try it for my two week trip to Australa, will let you know how it goes.

http://www.kevinjedwards.com/114/fla...phonetrip-com/
Old Mar 25, 11, 10:57 pm

I used them on a 3 month trip to Japan. They were awesome 3G worked about everywhere. Prices were reasonable
Old Mar 26, 11, 7:30 am

I would guess the bricking was due to a tethered unlock or something. Even if the SIM was shut down, the phone shouldn't have bricked. You can, however, never have too many backups.

Can someone confirm whether they use an ATT SIM or something else.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Mar 26, 11 at 6:40 pm
Old Mar 26, 11, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
has anyone used this or xcom? I am thinking about renting the mifi access point so the cost is about the same but i am interested in getting this to work for a 14 day trip through three countries.

I have 2 ipads and a nexus one tmobile cell phone, so i think a mifi would work well.

I can't seem to find anyone doing this... and although my post count is low, it's not as low as most of this thread.

Search this Thread