Reload this Page >

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:55 pm

I bought a sim card from iPhonetrip for an upcoming trip, so I'll be happy to post a report when I get back. Will be trying this out on an unlocked iphone 3G, and iPad. Bought the unlimited data plan, which I think is only 500MB/per day from a review I read somewhere. I hope it works!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT, AA PLT, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Avis First
500mb/day seems to be correct, at least according to the review below by engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/i...as-smartphone/
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just read the engadget article which was heartening but then I did online chat with the company (which was weird, I didn't feel like I was chatting with person, more like a keyword-recognizing robot).

With my locked AT&T iPhone 4, I can only get a 100MB/day data SIM. I don't think I can get voice. I submitted an unlock request to AT&T but I'm not out of contract yet so I'm guessing the answer will be no.

Last edited by Graciecatt; Sep 27, 2012 at 8:15 am Reason: got more information which changed my post.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Hardware-based (IMEI) iPhone unlock for $50

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I just learned yesterday that there is a new unlocking SIM for the iPhone 4s.

http://detectapple.com/how-to-unlock...im-iii-method/
For just $50, Applenberry does an IMEI true hardware unlock of iPhones. That's a pretty good deal, and it seems legit, even though it also seems too-good-to-be-true. An IMEI hardware unlock is permanent, meaning that it doesn't matter that you upgrade the phone's software, or jailbreak it, or restore it... it remains unlocked.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:06 pm

Has anyone tried cutting the micro sim into a nano sim? I want to use the with my iphone 5 and will be leaving in a few weeks and I don't think they will have their official nano sims out by then.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scott6003
Has anyone tried cutting the micro sim into a nano sim? I want to use the with my iphone 5 and will be leaving in a few weeks and I don't think they will have their official nano sims out by then.
You should have no problem cutting a micro SIM to a nano size; I just did that with a French SIM I received last week using a SIM cutter I bought on eBay.

I very slightly sanded down the edges to smooth it out, but didn't need to do anything to make it thinner. Worked just fine in my iPhone 5.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: hilton diamond, hyatt platimum,best western diamond elite
glad i found this thread... a lot of usefull information
thank you
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:08 pm

$40 for the SIM cutter. I paid $6 for my regular SIM to microSIM cutter and it looks very similar.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
$40 for the SIM cutter. I paid $6 for my regular SIM to microSIM cutter and it looks very similar.
Yeah not sure what's going on there; I bought it from the same seller three weeks ago and it was only $7 shipped. Plenty of other choices on eBay though ... definitely no need to pay more than $10.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: QFF SG
I've ordered an iPhonetrip SIM for a trip to China as I won't have time to stop and find a local SIM card when I arrive. Interestingly, the APN is different to what I've seen before.

It's now as follows:
APN: cda.vodafone.de
Username: hidden
Password: hidden

I wonder if this means they are no longer using AT&T SIM Cards?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:10 am

In September, the going rate for a third party IMEI unlock for an iPhone was about $50. The price is now down to about $10. I unlocked an iPhone 4 that way and there was no problem whatsoever.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:56 am

Extortion

Before you try iphonetrip, I suggest you think twice.

I received an unauthorized charge of $500 on my credit card statement from iphonetrip. Upon calling, I was informed that because I returned my rental two weeks after returning home, I owe $915! On top of that, Aidia Balasanova, their head of operations, threatened me with a 5% interest fee for every week I go without paying this ridiculous fee.

Try calling their 1-800 support number (1-800-355-1118) and getting someone who speaks English. This is a very shady company and is not BBB accredited.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: QFF SG
Originally Posted by bigkidwilliams
Before you try iphonetrip, I suggest you think twice.

I received an unauthorized charge of $500 on my credit card statement from iphonetrip. Upon calling, I was informed that because I returned my rental two weeks after returning home, I owe $915! On top of that, Aidia Balasanova, their head of operations, threatened me with a 5% interest fee for every week I go without paying this ridiculous fee.

Try calling their 1-800 support number (1-800-355-1118) and getting someone who speaks English. This is a very shady company and is not BBB accredited.
Were you on a data limited plan (eg 50MB a day) and you went over that limit, or were you making and receiving lots of calls on a voice-enabled SIM?

If so, these charges seem reasonable... as with any global roaming product without a 'pack' to reduce the charges.

I've used iPhonetrip over a dozen times now and have never seen these charges - but I do always select the "unlimited" data plan.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If the equipment was rented, the T&Cs allow for $50/day for late return

Originally Posted by DeKa
Were you on a data limited plan (eg 50MB a day) and you went over that limit, or were you making and receiving lots of calls on a voice-enabled SIM?

If so, these charges seem reasonable... as with any global roaming product without a 'pack' to reduce the charges.

I've used iPhonetrip over a dozen times now and have never seen these charges - but I do always select the "unlimited" data plan.
It sounds like the charges are because he didn't return rented equipment in time, not data overages. We need to hear more details from the OP, including what type of equipment he (apparently) rented and what the contract actually said.

Found the terms & conditions for rentals-
Delivery and Return of Equipment
2.1 iPhoneTrip™ will deliver the Equipment at its own risk to the Customer at the address designated by the Customer. 2.2 iPhoneTrip™ will use reasonable efforts to deliver the Equipment by the requested Delivery Time but it shall not incur any liability to the Customer in the event of any delay caused by force majeure or other circumstances beyond its control. 2.3 The Customer will accept the Equipment when delivered and if for any reason the Customer fails to accept the Equipment when delivered on such date the Customer shall nevertheless be liable for the stated shipping and service charge in full. 2.4 The customer must return the rental equipment within 24 hours of the end of the rental period. All of the equipment must be returned using the included pre-paid return label and the original packaging. 2.5 The customer will pay a $50 per-day delay fee if the rental equipment is not returned on time.
If it was in fact an equipment rental, and he kept it for two weeks extra, you can see where those hefty charges are coming from. The devil is in the details. For a company like iPhonetrip to make $$$ they've got to keep their equipment in use... and if a customer keeps the equipment past the designated rental time, they don't have it available for someone else. Yes, $50/day is pretty draconian, but it's right there, pretty easy to find.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC*50K
Just returned from a trip through Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Japan, mostly aboard a cruise ship but not for the whole time. Tried iPhoneTrip for the first time. Got global, unlimited data, no voice.

Generally very happy. Smooth ordering and delivery of SIMs. Responsive to emails. Two glitches:

1. Couldn't use the hotspot/tethering feature, which I was hoping to. I now see that an FAQ on their website says so, but I didn't notice that before I ordered. My bad.

2. Couldn't use it on cruise ships, despite the fact that FAQs suggest otherwise. Answer to "Will I be able to roam on cruise ships?" is essentially "Yes, if you're on one of these cruise lines...", and I was on one of those cruise lines. Turns out this is an add-on, that needs to be ordered specifically. "Global" doesn't include while aboard ships. I now understand why, and I understand the additional cost, and that's fair, but the website and FAQs don't make it as clear as they should, IMHO.

I've sent the feedback to the company. I will be interested to see whether they improve the disclosure on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.