Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Travel adapter for Dell Mini and Dell Inspiron 1525

Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold

I've looked around for a travel adapter for the two personal computers I have and tend to travel with, but can't seem to find one that has plugs to fit both of these. Right now I'm using a Targus adapter and plug that doesn't fit my Inspiron. Does anyone have any experiences with one adapter that will fit both of these Dell machines?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I'm using a Kensington N3 adapter on a dell mini at home, it's on one of their older 120 watt universal adapters. I'm fairly certain one of the others in the kit fits the Inspiron's, I think I used it with an Inspirion 15something once. It's not the best solution, the plug is a bit loose and needs to be held in the mini with a tiny bit of folded paper, but it does charge it.

There are a couple other tips that fit, but don't supply the right voltage and won't power it.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I have a Targus that's 70 watts and that's what I've used on my Dell 1525 a few times, but I get that error message on startup that the power source isn't the right one, and that worries me. Do I really need a 120 watt adapter or do you think I'd be ok with a lower wattage as long as the plug was ok?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
125 is way overpowering for a mini or even the small laptop that I use it on, it was just really cheap when I bought it.

The powerup message is because it's not reading one of the pins on the charger. I had that on and off because one of the wires in the charger was frayed and would work sometimes, and sometimes not. It didn't make much of a difference, it still charged the machine. Switching to a higher powered adapter probably would not make a difference as the tip is not signaling the machine it's a dell charger (other chargers have it built in too, not just dell).

As long as it actually charges, you are fine. Mine wouldn't charge when it did that, it would only run off AC until I jiggled the wire for 20 minutes (since replaced that adapter with a knock off one)
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

So it sounds like I am ok with a lower amp adapter, I just need to make sure to find one that comes with plugs for both Dells. Or at least ones that fit and charge both Dells.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.