Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who do you buy your cell phones from?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Who do you buy your cell phones from?

Company store? (AT&T, VZW, Sprint, etc. stores)
Local multi-carrier cell stores? (Joe's Cell Shop, etc.)
Other brick & mortar stores? (Wal-Mart, etc)
Online from carrier? (verizonwireless.com, sprint.com, etc)
Online from other websites? (letstalk.com, newegg.com, etc)

I'm about to buy a bunch of phones. I can save $50/ea + $35 activation fee by going with online websites like letstalk.com & newegg.com.

Pros & cons of going around local store folks. First hand experiences, good & bad, with online outfits?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-2/100.07.76; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Amazon.com - I only will buy factory unlocked phones (quad-band smartphone and regular phones) with US warranties.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:09 pm

I've purchased the phones from Amazon.com, Expansys, and E-Bay (after researching the seller). I've had friends who purchased from myworldphone.com.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:31 pm

I've used my carrier's website...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Most of my phones have been purchased at Sim Lim Square, Singapore -- wide variety of the latest phones, all unlocked, with dealers on six floors competing with each other. A great environment!

That said, I have also bought the odd phone here and there from Expansys and even one on eBay. I just make sure it's unlocked and at least a tri-band for round-the-world travel.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Dell is running good promotions on unlocked Nokia phones.

Have also purchased new phones on Ebay.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I have always in the past bought my phones directly from my service provider (ATT). I feel that even though I am getting locked into a contract they do a good job with the warranty stuff and I have need it a few times, plus the cost is usually right.

More recently I am been buying them from the Apple store, which if you don't need your brand new iPhone the week it comes out is a rather painless process and they are very good with the warranty stuff as well. I am on my 3rd iPhone 3G right now with very little hassle.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by adambadam
I have always in the past bought my phones directly from my service provider (ATT). I feel that even though I am getting locked into a contract they do a good job with the warranty stuff and I have need it a few times, plus the cost is usually right.

More recently I am been buying them from the Apple store, which if you don't need your brand new iPhone the week it comes out is a rather painless process and they are very good with the warranty stuff as well. I am on my 3rd iPhone 3G right now with very little hassle.
"Your 3rd iPhone 3g." Hmm. The thing that gets me about the iPhone is that it is the only phone that they won't sell you insurance on. Apple has a good deal on cracked screens and water damaged iPhones, but theft and loss is an issue. There is a thread on the New York Times under David Pogue's blog about what you do if your iPhone is stolen.

I've put myself in that position with my unlocked Nokia Euro gray market phone, but I knew the risks. I think that most people don't fully appreciate that they will be shelling out $700 if their iPhone gets nicked.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I had a perfectly good experience with LetsTalk, and they were super uber cheap.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:48 pm

I have had good experience buying unlocked phones on amazon,
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well Amazon supplied my last phone Quad Band Samsung not smart phone (sim free & unlocked) after Expansys said they couldn't in the colour I wanted (supplier issues) but I think the phone before that was Expansys. Otherwise I buy from whoever has the cheapest deal on the handset that I want and that might be a carrier a shop like Carphone Warehouse or a supermarket.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Dec 12, 2009 at 9:12 pm
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have pretty much gone the subsidized route. 14 months ago, I slightly strayed from that path when I upgraded through Costco (although T-Mobile never re-upped my contract). Then I bought Mrs. Swede a new, unlocked Treo 680 off eBay (seller seemed reputable--and the phone works great) about a year ago.

Then this past Black Friday, I bought an unlocked phone from Newegg. They said free 3-day UPS, it took 5.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:18 am

I bought my phone online at Sprint.com. I would check the prices online. You can probably qualify for business discounts so call the business sales department of the carrier.

VZW Business Sales
1 (800) 899-4249

Sprint Business Sales 1 (800) 827-1180

AT&T Business Sales
1 (866) 429-7222
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:15 pm

I pick up at least one new toy each visit to Asia....LOL.

Here at home, have bought and sold via eBay with good experiences on both ends.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'll only buy them from company owned carrier stores.
Its easier to get things done than when purchasing from a reseller. Not saying that it can't be done, but I've had a couple rough instances, no desire to go thru that again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.