Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Sennheiser PXC 450 Noise Canceling headphones any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sennheiser PXC 450 Noise Canceling headphones any good?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Sennheiser PXC 450 Noise Canceling headphones any good?

Hi

Just stumbled upon FlyerTalk Wow its awesome!
Anyway I am looking at purchasing a set of noise canceling headphones, have demoed a few of the big names, Bose, Sennheiser, Sony and after reading the below review I am leaning toward a set of Sennheiser PXC 450

Sennheiser PXC 450 Noise Cancelling Headphone Review

Does any one have any experience with this set, is the sound quality as good as what this review says?

Thx
James
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:13 pm

I don't have any experience with the PXC 450's. Have you considered in-ear headphones (aka canalphones), which provide passive noise-blocking? I've been extremely happy with my in-ear headphones (Etymotics ER4P), and from what I can tell, the in-ear headphones do a better job of blocking plane noise than the over-the-ear active noise-cancelling headphones. If you've already considered in-ear headphones, you can ignore this message -- but if not, check them out!

P.S. In-ear headphones are different from earbuds. In-ear headphones form a seal in your ears, like earplugs; earbuds don't form a seal. The seal is crucial to getting good noise isolation.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have a pair, and dislike them.

they make my ears and my whole body hot.

they leak sound around the edges, as they do not seal well.

cannot sleep with them on.

i use ear buds, or in the ear thingies.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:28 am

I have a pair as well. Don't think the sound is very good and also I don't think they cancel a lot of noise. Sort of felt cheated by all those reviews. Think they get paid for positive reviews!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Can't comment on the 450's, but I've had a pair of PXC-250's for several years that are more than adequate for flying. And, you can get 'em on Amazon for $60.

I also have a pair of Shure E5's that provide excellent sound quality and while I like the in-the-ear noise-reduction, they are much more of a PITA to take on and off if you need to speak with somebody quickly. Also, they are near invisible making it hard for others to realize that the reason you are ignoring them is that you can't hear them.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the advice, I might just stay away from this set.
I guess the search goes on

So how is the Bose Quiet Comfort 3? I briefly tested a set of QC2 but was unimpressed with the sound quality.

Thx
James
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:04 pm

That's the dilemma I'm currently facing for a few long flights to Japan: I have a set of in-the-ear Shure E3c's (noise isolating) which I've flown with before. They are every bit as good as decent ear plugs, but a bit cumbersome, and taking them in and out to hear PA or the flight attendants is rather unpleasant if I've gotten them to set properly; they're also too sensitive to plug them into the plane sound system, even one or two notches above mute gets to be too loud.
I recently acquired a pair of Sennheiser PXC 350s (over-the-ear, active noise canceling), and was debating which set to take with me. I haven't taken the PXC 350's on a plane yet -- I can find a lot of reviews claiming they're the best thing since sliced bread, but very few comparing them to in-the-ear sound isolating ones. The PXC's also have a volume control in the cord, so presumably I could use that to prevent the plane's audio system from overdriving them. It's obvious from using both in my office that the E3c's completely block all sound while the PXC 350's do a good job with lower frequency noises like fans, but don't put you in a silent bubble like the Shure's do and let most higher-pitched sounds right through.
In short:
The E3c's are really tiny, but are uncomfortable to take in and out and lack good volume control. They're a bit of a PITA to deal with when flight attendants come around or there are PA announcements.
The PXC 350's are much bulkier, eating up about eight times the volume of the E3c's in my carryon, but are much more ergonomical.
I'd welcome all additional wisdom that people might have comparing in-the-ear vs. over the ear based on actual flight experience.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:28 pm

Responding to myself here: I ended up taking the Sennheisers for my Japan trip. They were plenty comfy for the ~18 + 18 hours on the airplane, but... Their noise cancellation was much, much worse than the in-the-ear Shure's. Next time the Sennheisers stay in the office combating fan noise, and in-the-ear plugs go in the carry-on to make flying fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.