Wiki Posts
Search

Microsoft Office 2010 Beta free download

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Microsoft Office 2010 Beta free download

Another public beta from MS. This time it's Office 2010 Professional Plus valid for almost a year, available in both 32- and 64-bit flavors.

Download for free (directly from MS) here, try IE if it won't download with firefox:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010...s/default.aspx

Does the beta version of Office 2010 expire after certain time?

The beta version of Office 2010 will expire in October 2010. Users can choose to download the trial or buy the full version of Office 2010 at that time.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:14 pm
Suspended

have you tried? how stable is it?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mike_asia
I probably should have added: I've been using the technical preview version for a couple of days (technet subscription) and it's perfectly stable so far.

Overall not *that* much has changed function wise, although I will be trying out the improved functions in powerpoint with regard to embedding videos etc. I'm sure a lot of other features are there but haven't had time to play around with it that much. Easy transition from 2007.

The online integration with Office Live is great as is the built-in pdf support (although you could add this in 2007 too).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by eyeballer
Overall not *that* much has changed function wise...
Understatement of the year. What changes is:

Ribbon customization

This alone is enough for me to get the beta like, right now.

Losing the customization of the toolbars from Office 2003 is the reason thousands of people never went to 2007. Office 2010 finally solves this - and lets you export your customized ribbon setup to others!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Ribbon customization
Whoo hoo - that is indeed huge. I got used to the ribbon concept quickly, but having just one or two not where I need them, and knowing I could customize everything in 2003, was very annoying.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:53 am

Another public beta from MS. This time it's Office 2010 Professional Plus valid for almost a year, available in both 32- and 64-bit flavors.

Download for free (directly from MS) here, try IE if it won't download with firefox:
eyeballer:

Thanks for posting this.
I checked your link .... and I have some problems with this:

-Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don’t test Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta on your primary home or business PC.
-Uninstall any previous versions of Microsoft Office. We highly recommend that previous versions of Microsoft Office be removed from your test machine before installing Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta.
I fear, that I might lose my data (Outlook, Word, Publisher ....)

Last edited by USAFAN; Nov 19, 2009 at 8:28 am Reason: changed loose to lose?!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by USAFAN
I fear, that I might loose my data (Outlook, Word, Publisher ....)
OMG No!!!!! Don't loose your data on the world! (I think you're worried you might lose your data.)

In any case, this is just standard boilerplate MS language with beta software - they don't want you to blame them for any hiccups before the release-to-public software is available.

If it truly concerns you, then stand by for now and wait for the public release.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
In any case, this is just standard boilerplate MS language with beta software - they don't want you to blame them for any hiccups before the release-to-public software is available.
LOL....this is why Google keeps products in beta forever. They don't have to provide support for anything in beta.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mike_asia
I've been using this beta build on my work laptop, home desktop, and netbook for about a month. Very stable, haven't had a single issue. Also, lots of very nice Outlook enhancements if you're using an Exchange 2010 mailbox server.

Be aware that a lot of 3rd party plugins, specifically Outlook plugins, won't work on the 64 bit version of Office. I recommend installing the 32 bit version.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Won't download with FF , who would have guessed.

Upon reading the comments on PowerPoint & custom tool bar, I will give it a spin.

What about compatibility with OO?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:22 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Won't download with FF , who would have guessed.
Downloads fine with FF 3.5.5 on my setup.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G

Thanks, eyeballer. I noticed this elsewhere but the link was broken.
I just need to remember my dormant Windows Live ID!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Downloads fine with FF 3.5.5 on my setup.

Cheers,
Rick
Already downloaded with IE. Thanks for the heads-up just the same.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
-Uninstall any previous versions of Microsoft Office. We highly recommend that previous versions of Microsoft Office be removed from your test machine before installing Office Professional Plus 2010 Beta.
Do you actually need to uninstall an old version, or can you use both versions? I don't need to run them at the same time, but I might need to run the old versions of Word/Excel/Outlook from time to time.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by heffa
Do you actually need to uninstall an old version, or can you use both versions? I don't need to run them at the same time, but I might need to run the old versions of Word/Excel/Outlook from time to time.
Multiple versions of Office cannot co-exist on the same machine at the same time. This is true for pretty much all applications.

There are ways around this, such as Windows 7's XP Mode and various application virtualization options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.