Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Actually, it looks like you can still fly without ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actually, it looks like you can still fly without ID

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Arrow Actually, it looks like you can still fly without ID

Boingboing finally posted a story about the recent change and in the comments section, someone made a very interesting point:

While I am totally sympathetic, you/Soghoian are unfortunately misreading the TSA release:
"This change will apply exclusively to individuals that simply refuse to provide any identification or assist transportation security officers in ascertaining their identity."

That "or assist" part makes quite a bit of difference. "Passengers who refuse to show ID, citing the rights" still will be accommodated if they "assist transportation security officers in ascertaining their identity." This is similar to the Fourth Amendment case law on ID, which is also widely misunderstood by the lay public. You have every right not to carry ID, but you do not have the right to withhold your identity from law enforcement if they have a legitimate reason for knowing it (e.g., because you've been lawfully arrested).
The TSA is merely clarifying that, "you have no right to fly anonymously," not that "you no longer have the right to invoke your right to fly without ID." They're two different things.
Full comment here: http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/09...comment-206992

He makes a very good point. It appears, by the policy, that you can fly without a ID card. Just leave it home, verbally identify yourself, and tell the screener than you did leave it at home.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler

He makes a very good point. It appears, by the policy, that you can fly without a ID card. Just leave it home, verbally identify yourself, and tell the screener than you did leave it at home.
Hello, I'm whirledtraveler and I left my ID at home.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Boingboing finally posted a story about the recent change and in the comments section, someone made a very interesting point:

Full comment here: http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/09...comment-206992

Flying without being IDed -- whether by ID card or government investigation (however cursory) -- is something the TSA is intending to get rid off with this move.

The issue still is that -- before month end -- flying without being identified by government or government-designated personnel is going to more often involve more than just SSSS screening and if the TSA or TSA-designated government personnel don't like the answers or non-answers from a ticketed passenger whose identification (to the satisfaction of TSA or TSA-designated personnel) the government is mandating, travel will be denied to such a passenger per this TSA policy.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Flying without being IDed -- whether by ID card or government investigation (however cursory) -- is something the TSA is intending to get rid off with this move.

The issue still is that -- before month end -- flying without being identified by government or government-designated personnel is going to more often involve more than just SSSS screening and if the TSA or TSA-designated government personnel don't like the answers or non-answers from a ticketed passenger whose identification (to the satisfaction of TSA or TSA-designated personnel) the government is mandating, travel will be denied to such a passenger per this TSA policy.
It's bad, but it still doesn't seem quite as bad to me. I'd rather someone just take my word for who I am rather than participate in the holy ID card ritual. How this works out in practice, however, is yet to be seen.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The idea of "forgetting" the ID was discussed in the other threads and it is a viable option unless you need your ID for some other act, like renting a car, buying a beer or other reasonable uses of ID during your trip.

I'm happy to help them ascertain my identity. I'll continue to state my name as frequently as they ask.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
It's bad, but it still doesn't seem quite as bad to me. I'd rather someone just take my word for who I am rather than participate in the holy ID card ritual. How this works out in practice, however, is yet to be seen.
I would be willing to bet this is just another "catch the big one" dragnet which will include BOTH a BDO (asking they inane SPOT questions) and a LEO running a Wants/Warrants check on the traveler. The choice to show/not show ID DOES NOT provide enough evidence for Reasonable Suspicion or Probable Cause (the minimum required standards for Wants/Warrants checks). If either one of them doesn't like the traveler, for ANY reason, they will be denied access to the sterile area, making DY...T a reality.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The idea of "forgetting" the ID was discussed in the other threads and it is a viable option unless you need your ID for some other act, like renting a car, buying a beer or other reasonable uses of ID during your trip.

I'm happy to help them ascertain my identity. I'll continue to state my name as frequently as they ask.
We should fall back on POW procedures - the answer to every question is very simple:

Name/Rank/Serial Number.

Since most of us are probably not active duty military personnel, we just leave off the Rank/Serial Number.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Your name is on your boarding pass. Assuming they can read, they'll know your name. Why do they need more assistance than that? More ridiculous than the focus on identity is them, in effect, forcing you to say the name printed on the boarding pass.

And what if you have a complicated name or an accent and they don't agree with your pronunciation? "It's spelled 'Luxury Yatch', but it's pronounced 'Throat-Warbler Mangrove'".

*sigh*

It grows more asinine by the minute.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
We should fall back on POW procedures - the answer to every question is very simple:

Name/Rank/Serial Number.

Since most of us are probably not active duty military personnel, we just leave off the Rank/Serial Number.
I figured I'd use my DoB instead; maybe my place of birth or city of residence, too, just in case.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I figured I'd use my DoB instead; maybe my place of birth or city of residence, too, just in case.
DevilDog438
10AUG19xx
Parris Island, SC

Of course, that is the date and place I was reborn as a Devil Dog...

OR

DevilDog438
10APR19xx
Baltimore, MD

The date and place I swore a lifelong oath to uphold & defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign & DOMESTIC.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
making DY...T a reality.
Off topic, but why do people here use ellipsis in place of the 3 letters for this acronym? I've not noticed this with any other like DYKWIA, always fully typed.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Off topic, but why do people here use ellipsis in place of the 3 letters for this acronym? I've not noticed this with any other like DYKWIA, always fully typed.
Because the three missing letters are W, T & F. Since that can be used to mean something else, the board software is self-censoring.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Interesting line of thought. One would have to be very careful and not lie. "I don't have an ID" followed by a search that uncovers a DL or passport would give them reasonable suspicion to do anything they wanted to do to you.

The interesting situation occurs when you assert your right to fly without presenting an ID and then they take your DL and involuntarily take down the info. The screener would violate the Privacy Act (not a big deal for Chertoff) but the cop could do it after articulating reasonable suspicion, which, of course, they could say they have based on your insistence of exercising your rights.

But, here's an additional rub: Can a cop demand to see your DL to run you for a situation that is NOT a traffic-related incident?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Interesting line of thought. One would have to be very careful and not lie. "I don't have an ID" followed by a search that uncovers a DL or passport would give them reasonable suspicion to do anything they wanted to do to you.

The interesting situation occurs when you assert your right to fly without presenting an ID and then they take your DL and involuntarily take down the info. The screener would violate the Privacy Act (not a big deal for Chertoff) but the cop could do it after articulating reasonable suspicion, which, of course, they could say they have based on your insistence of exercising your rights.

But, here's an additional rub: Can a cop demand to see your DL to run you for a situation that is NOT a traffic-related incident?
Depends on the laws of the state. If the state has a Stop & Identify statute, they may be able to require that you assist in providing identification. However, most of those state statutes only require VERBAL identification. I have not found a single instance in my relatively quick searches articulating a requirement to provide physical identification documents.

ETA - A LEO can run a Wants/Warrants check without a physical identification document. They will ask you for additional information to validate who you are in the system (name, DOB, SSN, etc.).
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Because the three missing letters are W, T & F. Since that can be used to mean something else, the board software is self-censoring.
Wow. I thought the system was a little more advanced than that. Reminds me of a lousy Lotus Domino admin I worked with years ago who enabled something similar, not thinking it through. Person was let go, and a few of us spent ages figuring out why so many emails were being trashed. Turned out you couldn't send any email with "document" or any other word with that 3rd, 4th and 5th letter in sequence. No wishing anyone happy birthday in Spanish until that was fixed.

</END OFF TOPIC>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.