Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Special Needs Son Harassed by TSA at Detroit Metropolitan Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110608-wpms

The TSA agents saw drew holding a six-inch plastic hammer.
"My son carries his ball and his hammer for security. He goes everywhere with (them)," said Mandy.
However, TSA saw the toy as a weapon.

The TSA took away one toy hammer, but they were still able to take another toy hammer on board the airplane. How did that happen?
Drew's mother, always prepared, had another one in her backpack and that backpack passed through security with no problem.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:09 am

I love it! These types of stories are good in that they highlight the "theatre" aspect of the TSA. It will show people that TSA is not really focused on airline security, but rather enforcing their interpretation of the (Secret Squirel Innanity) rules prohibiting WEI from entering the aircraft.

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 9, 2011 at 8:45 am Reason: gratuitous
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:16 am
Suspended

"Very polite. Very apologetic. He was embarrassed. He (said) we have to review how we deal with special needs individuals. Obviously, he (said), we're doing a terrible job," Mandy told us.
More "re-training." Who wants to put down their bets on what won't change?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I would be interested in hearing from our TSA FTers on why a plastic toy hammer could be considered a weapon. It seems to me that it could be x-rayed to see if it was truly hiding anything in it followed by an ETD swab. Does common sense exist at all in the ranks of the TSA? Same goes for compassion for that matter.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:34 am
Suspended

The TSA took away one toy hammer, but they were still able to take another toy hammer on board the airplane. How did that happen?

Drew's mother, always prepared, had another one in her backpack and that backpack passed through security with no problem.
Good for Mom!!!!! TSA at DTW must have egg all over it's face on that one.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Very polite. Very apologetic. He was embarrassed. He (said) we have to review how we deal with special needs individuals. Obviously, he (said), we're doing a terrible job," Mandy told us. "It made me feel that there is still hope, that there is still justice and that there's still somebody who listens to people's problems (in) the federal government.

That's because federal security told him there are 800 TSA agents at Metro Airport and they are all going to be retrained based on Drew's case.

We also spoke to a federal security director who said this incident is still under investigation, but, as far as they can tell right now, better judgment was needed.
Yep -- retraining solves everything.

I'm also disappointed how many people allow themselves to be so easily blown off by a "polite," "apologetic," and "embarassed" TSA spokeshole whose job it is to win Academy Awards by pretending to be "polite," "apologetic," and "embarassed."
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Tom M.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110608-wpms

The TSA agents saw drew holding a six-inch plastic hammer.
"My son carries his ball and his hammer for security. He goes everywhere with (them)," said Mandy.
However, TSA saw the toy as a weapon.

i am constantly appalled by the attitude and behavior of the TSA at DTW. they are possibly the worst in the country,
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
So, the TSA took away a plastic toy hammer from a mentally challenged citizen.

Thank God that threat to aviation was stopped dead in its tracks.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

I'm also disappointed how many people allow themselves to be so easily blown off by a "polite," "apologetic," and "embarassed" TSA spokeshole whose job it is to win Academy Awards by pretending to be "polite," "apologetic," and "embarassed."
Even Tom Sawyer (the poor guy whose urostomy bag the TSA "vented" all over him) has come to the conclusion that TSA "apologies" are no more than a dog-and-pony show designed to alleviate public hatred of the TSA.

(I can't find a working link for Tom's statements, but blog sites still contain bits of the story and broken links to the WLNS.com web page that had the interview.)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:47 am

Perhaps TSA doesn't understand real security? They certainly make me feel less secure. I'd love to bring one of my chasing hammers with me....

Last edited by IslandBased; Jun 9, 2011 at 8:53 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
More "re-training." Who wants to put down their bets on what won't change?
Firing people should be the first step of retraining as an object lesson for those who remain.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Training records as well as training materials are subject to FOIA. The records would be redacted to remove the clerks' names, but, based on the public statements, we know that there will be approximately 800 of them.

A non-profit such as the Association of Retarded Citizens or a similar org would have the clout and credibility to not get blown off easily. If someone has connections, please forward this to them. I'm happy to ghost-write the FOIA- just PM me.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Firing people should be the first step of retraining as an object lesson for those who remain.
^^^
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:43 am

This is the first story, I believe, involving an MRDD individual and the TSA. Wonder if this situation occurred because of the overall mentality of the TSA or the mentality of the "agents" at DTW? My experience with DTW has been horrible compared with any other airport in the nation. I find TSA "agents" at DTW are more hostile, abrasive, insulting, and inept compared with other airports I fly in and out of. Though, to their defense I really have not met a competent, logical, and rational "agent" yet.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
"Very polite. Very apologetic. He was embarrassed. He (said) we have to review how we deal with special needs individuals. Obviously, he (said), we're doing a terrible job," Mandy told us. "It made me feel that there is still hope, that there is still justice and that there's still somebody who listens to people's problems (in) the federal government.

That's because federal security told him there are 800 TSA agents at Metro Airport and they are all going to be retrained based on Drew's case.

We also spoke to a federal security director who said this incident is still under investigation, but, as far as they can tell right now, better judgment was needed.

Which is odd, because I received a letter from TSA back in March that stated the following:

Terrorist Support Agency

<snippity snip>

Accordingly, our TSOs currently receive specialized training for persons with special needs... Through TSA's Disability Coalition, we maintain a dialogue with over 70 groups representing a cross-section of the disability community...

<snip>
So, apparently they are already sensitive to the boy's needs and this incident never should have happened in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.