Has anyone sought TSA Redress?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Has anyone sought TSA Redress?

Well, I've confirmed it. Despite having a first/last name combo that is unique enough that I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one in the world, especially born on my birthday, despite flying in excess of 100,000 miles per year, and despite being trusted by both the US and Canadian governments to travel with a minimum of hassle, I've been put on someone's no fly list.

It started sometime after March, when I see my last OLCI BP, when I started not being able to check in online. More recently, I noticed I was unable to check in at a CO kiosk, but I figured that might have something to do with it being CO. Sure enough, it was made clear when I was checking in for a flight at BUR on Christmas and I got a big message on the kiosk screen showing the Secure Flight logo and telling me to check in with an agent.

I'm guessing this is both because I have a Middle Eastern name and because I don't let TSA push me around.

Has anyone been through the redress process? Know how it works? I've started it, but wanted some advice.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
AZ Travels the World had the same thing happen to him and did a very good thread recounting his attempts to get redress:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...atch-list.html
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
What you are going to get from DHS-TRIP is a form letter that looks a lot like this: http://www.getmikeyoffthelist.com/wp...1/redress1.png If you read it, it takes a whole page to say absolutely nothing concrete. They will also give you a "redress number" to enter with your name, dob, and gender when you book travel. Maybe your problems will stop; maybe they won't.

It's unclear from your profile if you are a US citizen, but if you are, contact your Congressman. You should do what you are doing and go through the TSA "redress" process, but as an individual, you are unlikely to get any satisfaction. Your congressman does have the power to get a response, though it is a toss-up as to if his/her staff will be willing to use it on your behalf.

Also consider going public and/or leveraging the media if you are up for that sort of thing. E.g., http://www.getmikeyoffthelist.com/ DHS/TSA needs to be utterly humiliated by a flood of these stories.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: OnePass
I can offer you nothing but support.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:31 am

One of the employees in my company got a redress number. I don't know the details or how long it took (it couldn't have been very long), but putting it in his record has completely resolved the problems he was having.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have you tried changing your sex and birthdate on the INSecure Flight profile you have on co.com? When you book your next flight, put in some bogus numbers there and see if you're able to check in online. This information is never checked by anyone.

Another option is either adding or removing a middle initial from the ticket name, which should not affect your ability to earn miles or CO program benefits.

If you always fly as John Smith, book your next ticket as John A Smith. Do that along with a birthday change and you should 'self-generate' your own redress.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you always fly as John Smith, book your next ticket as John A Smith. Do that along with a birthday change and you should 'self-generate' your own redress.
When I ran into the same problem a couple years ago after some trial and error I found the solution was to fly with under my full name (First Full Middle and Last names). Has worked wonderfully, no issues checking it at kiosks or online since.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:47 pm

Would changing your name legally also work? I'm not saying he should do this in this case or that people should have to for that matter but let's say a woman who's on the secret list gets married will changing her name solve the problem? My guess here is yes since you can apparently defeat it by adding your middle initial etc.

Anyone else wish the strip search machine and groping was this easy to get around?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My congressman is someone I absolutely loathe, so I'm thinking about going to my senators. Boxer and Feinstein should have something to say about this.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Have you tried changing your sex and birthdate on the INSecure Flight profile you have on co.com? When you book your next flight, put in some bogus numbers there and see if you're able to check in online. This information is never checked by anyone.

Another option is either adding or removing a middle initial from the ticket name, which should not affect your ability to earn miles or CO program benefits.

I wear a Tulip in my lapel, but I'm guessing its the same concept.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by N1120A
I wear a Tulip in my lapel, but I'm guessing its the same concept.
Go to your profile on .bomb, and change the info. If the "fix" works, you should avoid having to apply for Redress..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Go to your profile on .bomb, and change the info. If the "fix" works, you should avoid having to apply for Redress..
So I should enter the wrong birthdate? That sounds ridiculous
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
So I should enter the wrong birthdate? That sounds ridiculous
That may or may not work. More likely toying with your name does the trick (hint: the ticket information has to match your photo ID because it is printed on the BP, but the name you submit to SecureFlight on those certain carriers that set it apart from the ticketing name is never compared to your photo ID. Typos might be your friend in those fields).

Now that SecureFlight has been fully implimented, though, redress numbers can work (unlike before) so I would give that process a try as it might solve the problem. It is hard for me to see anyone other than Ron Paul to bat for you without your giving TRIP a chance first.

And, you're not a cute 8-year-old, so what media outlet would care about you?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
I applied for redress, and after checking the status online over and over, it finally said a letter was sent. That was 2 weeks ago. Anyone have experience with how long it takes the letter to come?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.