Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?

This may be a stupid question, but I'm completely serious:

Why TSA pat downs by same sex TSOs? I'm straight. If anyone is going to be feeling around my private parts, I'd rather it be a woman. I think we should be able to choose based on our sexual orientation.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Are you married? Do you want to stay married? If so, I'd advise not asking for a person of the opposite sex to do your pat down.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
This may be a stupid question, but I'm completely serious:

Why TSA pat downs by same sex TSOs? I'm straight. If anyone is going to be feeling around my private parts, I'd rather it be a woman. I think we should be able to choose based on our sexual orientation.
I agree, I work in an environment where random checks are done. I am given the option of who checks me. I don't mind the female pat-down. (I am male)
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:05 pm

Doesn't matter to me but having an option would be nice. Although TSO applications from females will probably plummet or only attract the desperate.

At one airport, I saw a screener who looked just like Jennifer Lopez. She'd be a popular one for those opting out. The line for patdowns would be 4 hours and people would still wait. Imagine a typical conversation. "Uhhh... Sir.... is this your 4th time through here? When is your flight?"

"Next week"
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:22 pm

On a more serious note, the TSA people look at you and determine your gender. What if gender isn't obvious? What if you identify as female but look male? What if you look female, but identify as male? What then?

Does the TSA respect my right to determine my own gender identity?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozgytog
On a more serious note, the TSA people look at you and determine your gender. What if gender isn't obvious? What if you identify as female but look male? What if you look female, but identify as male? What then?

If TSA doesn't respect its own rules or the Constitution, do you really think it would respect gender identity? If we have to endure being honked in order to fly, I think we, as honkees, should be able to choose the gender of the honker. A simple question from the TSO at the TDC, "Would you prefer to be groped by a male or female PPI ("Private Parts Inspector"), with the appropriate notation made on the boarding pass would "handle" any issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I don't know if it is a rule or not but I've always noticed that in airport security lines in Thailand, all of the pat down agents tend to be attractive females. This system works well because women will always be patted down by a female agent so no ones cultural sensibilities are ever offended and a men, really just don't mind Perhaps TSA could adopt the Thai security model.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
So let me guess.

As a married male pax, wishing to remain so, the safest request would be for a same sex oriented female.

Right?

Why does this have to be so confusing?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
So let me guess.

As a married male pax, wishing to remain so, the safest request would be for a same sex oriented female.

Right?

Why does this have to be so confusing?
I'd recommend two screeners, just to be sure.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I don't know if it is a rule or not but I've always noticed that in airport security lines in Thailand, all of the pat down agents tend to be attractive females. This system works well because women will always be patted down by a female agent so no ones cultural sensibilities are ever offended and a men, really just don't mind Perhaps TSA could adopt the Thai security model.
Maybe it's not an issue there, but I've learned from FT that some Orthodox Jewish males will not touch unrelated females.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:57 pm

For the same reason that public restrooms are segregated by gender, and that public locker rooms are segregated by gender. It's a cultural convention that, where intimate matters are concerned (and a pat-down qualifies), we tend to segregate by sex rather than orientation.

My understanding, from previous posts here and at the TSA Blog by TSOs, is that you are screened based on how you present yourself. If you present yourself as male, you're screened by a male screener. If you present yourself as female, you're screened as a female screener. That's all independent of what your chromosones or your bits-and-pieces might indicate.

I'm not sure what would happen if Pat came through a checkpoint ...
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:58 pm

If the passenger is male, but presents themselves as a female, that passenger would then be patted down by a female TSO. Same would go for a female passenger presenting themselves as a male who would then be patted down by a male TSO. That is, at the very least, our standard operating procedure. This very rarely happens, at least in my own experience. I would assume, that if a passenger who is in fact male, but presents themselves as a female, requested to be patted down by a male TSO, that would be accommodated. But again, such experiences are rarely seen, from what I've experienced. But of course, I can't speak for other airports. (I work out of BOS).

Also, keep in mind. The same-sex screening is not mandatory, there have been plenty of cases of opposite-sex screening at smaller airports, that do not have the available TSOs of the desired gender.

I can't really speak for why exactly same-sex screening is encouraged, but I would assume it would have something to do with comfort zones and deterrence of say, sexual harassment. I mean, to be quite frank, would many female passengers be comfortable being patted down by a male that they do not know? Or vice versa.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Now that you mention it, when I'm in China, pat downs have also been by female security officers.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
For the same reason that public restrooms are segregated by gender, and that public locker rooms are segregated by gender. It's a cultural convention that, where intimate matters are concerned (and a pat-down qualifies), we tend to segregate by sex rather than orientation.
Understood, but doesn't being groped in public already undermine another key cultural convention?

I actually think there is not much justification for gender segregated toilet facilites; given that cubicles have closing doors, why should anyone care? The urinal section could have a closing door, and no-one can see anyone elses junk more than currently.

And back on topic, I agree. It harks back to heteronormative society, and the unspoken assumption is that male screeners would not get off on groping male passengers etc. Of course, know that we (as a society) recognise that not all people are attracted to the opposite sex, the policy is totally ridiculous and frankly offensive (honestly, I'm not trying to be inflammatory).
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, WorldPerks, SkyMiles, RapidRewards
I'm hetero, and if I get my junk felt up at the physician's office, I'd rather it be by a female doctor. Not sexual at all, just a comfort level.

I would really rather not have to make that same decision at the airport...so I'd like to opt out, mmmkaynothanxbuhbye.

Oh, hell, we don't have that option, do we?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.