Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first imager refusal - I'm a big boy now!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
At US we leave on time if possible psgr or no psgr waiting at "strip search". Even if it costs me a job I hope people revolt against these things stop flying & let the airlines know why.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
One final thought before I go to bed and contemplate my job requirement for weekly travel, how come TSOs don't wear the radiation film badges or dosimeters? Does anyone remember the contract workers used to wear them? How come TSOs don't wear them?

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Expendalble cannon fodder!

I can't wait to start hearing in a year or 2 about the increase of cancer related illnesses. Even though I was not taking x-rays as part of my daily job duties when I was teaching with in radiology departments all over this country my employer demanded that I wear a radiation film badge.

Look at how close the TSA stand next to the WBI unit. There is going to be some "scatter" no matter what they say even at the supposed low kVp dose range they claim is coming from these units. HEY TSA........better start wearing your lead undergarments to work.

As a registered Radiologic Technologist I was taught all about radiation safety and dose. Seems to me that the TSA have been fed a line of crap just to keep Chertoff rolling in dough and to scare the uninformed sheeple in this country.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
At US we leave on time if possible psgr or no psgr waiting at "strip search". Even if it costs me a job I hope people revolt against these things stop flying & let the airlines know why.
But what happens if most of your plane is stuck at security? I haven't flown US since the real PSA was around, so I don't know how you guys operate, but I've had several WN and AS flights over the years wait until most/all people are through security. Just a few months ago in TUS, the WTMD/X-ray "broke" which resulted in a monstrous 45 minute line (normally 5-10 mins at the most) to get through the WN/AA/F9 checkpoint. All three airlines delayed their flights until passengers went through security.

I've already told my WN friends at SAN that once that NoS arrives, I'll only fly through SAN on connections. That checkpoint is a nightmare on a good day--I can't imagine what the NoS is going to do.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Question, is this a job fair for current TSA employees looking for another agency to go to or a job fair to hire new screeners?

Expendalble cannon fodder!
Its for current TSO's who might want to goto another agency. CIA,CBP,ICE. Stuff like that.

Originally Posted by trvlr64
One final thought before I go to bed and contemplate my job requirement for weekly travel, how come TSOs don't wear the radiation film badges or dosimeters? Does anyone remember the contract workers used to wear them? How come TSOs don't wear them?

I can't wait to start hearing in a year or 2 about the increase of cancer related illnesses. Even though I was not taking x-rays as part of my daily job duties when I was teaching with in radiology departments all over this country my employer demanded that I wear a radiation film badge.

Look at how close the TSA stand next to the WBI unit. There is going to be some "scatter" no matter what they say even at the supposed low kVp dose range they claim is coming from these units. HEY TSA........better start wearing your lead undergarments to work.

As a registered Radiologic Technologist I was taught all about radiation safety and dose. Seems to me that the TSA have been fed a line of crap just to keep Chertoff rolling in dough and to scare the uninformed sheeple in this country.
Well the Xrays at my airport don't use Ionized radiation and emit no gamma rays. They use Xray generators that use electricity to make radiation. Thats my very simple answer. I've been there when they tested the machines for radiation leakage and all that. The Xray tech I talked to said that one ride threw the Xray would expose you to less radiation than an intercontinental flight.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSO_LAS
Well the Xrays at my airport don't use Ionized radiation and emit no gamma rays. They use Xray generators that use electricity to make radiation. Thats my very simple answer. I've been there when they tested the machines for radiation leakage and all that. The Xray tech I talked to said that one ride threw the Xray would expose you to less radiation than an intercontinental flight.
Mr. Wizard, you're not. All x-rays are ionizing radiation. And as for the x-ray tech you spoke to, he's not a doctor. Here's what real doctors have to say:

Full body scanners at airports could increase your risk of skin cancer, experts warn.

The X-ray machines have been brought in at Manchester, Gatwick and Heathrow.

But scientists say radiation from the scanners has been underestimated and could be particularly risky for children.

They say that the low level beam does deliver a small dose of radiation to the body but because the beam concentrates on the skin - one of the most radiation-sensitive organs of the human body - that dose may be up to 20 times higher than first estimated.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0sGtCGdU1

The physics of these X-rays is very telling: the X-rays are Compton-Scattering off outer molecule bonding electrons and thus inelastic (likely breaking bonds). Unlike other scanners, these new devices operate at relatively low beam energies (28keV). The majority of their energy is delivered to the skin and the underlying tissue. Thus, while the dose would be safe if it were distributed throughout the volume of the entire body, the dose to the skin may be dangerously high. The X-ray dose from these devices has often been compared in the media to the cosmic ray exposure inherent to airplane travel or that of a chest X-ray. However, this comparison is very misleading: both the air travel cosmic ray exposure and chest Xrays have much higher X-ray energies and the health consequences are appropriately understood in terms of the whole body volume dose. In contrast, these new airport scanners are largely depositing their energy into the skin and immediately adjacent tissue, and since this is such a small fraction of body weight/vol, possibly by one to two orders of magnitude, the real dose to the skin is now high.
http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf

In other words, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, and to disseminate your completely erroneous, thoroughly ignorant opinion as to the safety of these devices either here on FT or to the general public is a reckless, dangerous and contemptible act.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
In other words, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, and to disseminate your completely erroneous, thoroughly ignorant opinion as to the safety of these devices either here on FT or to the general public is a reckless, dangerous and contemptible act.
Wow - don't shoot the messenger!

TSO_LAS has been entirely open with us since joining this forum, despite occasional hostility, and has been more than willing to acknowledge the failings of both his/her employer and fellow employees. With regard to radiation risk, TSO_LAS was, like the rest of us, lied to. So how about sticking with educating, rather than attacking?

TSO_LAS, in addition to the link posted by PTravel, you might also want to have a look at this thread:

Nude-O=Scopes deliver radiation dose 20 times higher than first thought, warn expert

Or just go straight to the horse's mouth:

David J. Brenner addressing the Congressional Biomedical Research Caucus

This would be David Brenner the physician/scientist and expert on the effects of ionizing and low-dose radiation and not David Brenner the comedian, btw!

The video takes some time to watch - it's almost an hour long - but tells you everything you ever (or never!) wanted to know about the risks posed by backscatter radiation imaging. Don't know how old you are, TSO_LAS, but the younger you are, the greater the risk. You may want to keep this in mind when "selecting" pax for WBI . . . .
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:53 am

You might also want to look here for more information. TSO_LAS, if you work with a backscatter machine, the tech lied to you, pure and simple. If you work with a MMW, then the tech told the truth -- MMW's are not x-rays and are do not emit ionizing radiation.

Originally Posted by PTravel
All x-rays are ionizing radiation. And as for the x-ray tech you spoke to, he's not a doctor. . . .
He doesn't have to be a doctor. X-ray techs are very, very well-versed in the mechanisms and dangers of x-radiation. The bigger question in my mind is -- if this is a backscatter unit, where did TSA find a tech willing to disseminate such blatant lies (or so incompetent as to not know his field)???? Don't castigate TSO_LAS -- he didn't know and relied on TSA's "expert". (I know, I know ... it's an oxymoron.)

~~ Irish
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nhcowboy

TSO_LAS has been entirely open with us since joining this forum, despite occasional hostility, and has been more than willing to acknowledge the failings of both his/her employer and fellow employees. With regard to radiation risk, TSO_LAS was, like the rest of us, lied to. So how about sticking with educating, rather than attacking?
While I am sympathetic to your plea that we don't shoot the messenger, in this instance PTravel is right to come down as hard as he did. Whether or not TSO_LAS was an innocent dupe or not, he is in this instance disseminating TSA propagnda and lies.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its for current TSO's who might want to goto another agency. CIA,CBP,ICE. Stuff like that.
If TSA is holding this job fair then I really don't understand what is going on in your agency. TSA has enough problems finding employees as it is, to help them move out of TSA is pretty stupid.

If your looking for a transfer to another agency why is a job fair needed anyhow? Everything you need is on the web.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nhcowboy

Even if TSO_LAS is one of the TSA "good guys," he is spreading dangerous misinformation. I'm a melanoma survivor (going on 4 years -- still haven't hit the magic 5), and that post could, literally, kill someone like me who hasn't taken the trouble to research these death machines. And, no, I don't think this is excessive hyperbole. Yes, TSO_LAS was lied to by TSA, but he was also basing his post on what he clearly misunderstood from the technician who set up his machine (and who may or may not be a licensed x-ray technician). Shoemaker, stick to your last -- don't dispense medical advice.
Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
You might also want to look here for more information. TSO_LAS, if you work with a backscatter machine, the tech lied to you, pure and simple. If you work with a MMW, then the tech told the truth -- MMW's are not x-rays and are do not emit ionizing radiation.
MMWs are also a small fraction of the total of installed NOSs.

He doesn't have to be a doctor. X-ray techs are very, very well-versed in the mechanisms and dangers of x-radiation.
No x-ray tech is qualified to determine whether a specific x-ray dosage is "safe." X-rays exposure is cumulative, and different people are going to have different levels of susceptibility. Without an MD or PhD (in the appropriate field) after his name, x-ray techs have no business telling anyone what is, "safe."

The bigger question in my mind is -- if this is a backscatter unit, where did TSA find a tech willing to disseminate such blatant lies (or so incompetent as to not know his field)???? Don't castigate TSO_LAS -- he didn't know and relied on TSA's "expert". (I know, I know ... it's an oxymoron.)
I'm sorry but, as I said, TSO_LAS' explanation could kill someone who didn't know better. This isn't merely a question of arguing constitutionality of the procedure, or asserting that it's faster, etc., but a position that is, literally, deadly. I'm less concerned with a TSO's feelings, even if he is one of the "good guys," than I am about those in the innocent flying public who, because of their exposure to back-scatter x-ray units, will have to go through what I did when they are diagnosed in years to come with melanoma.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What Is Factually Wrong with This Belief: "Harm from
Low-Dose Radiation Is Just Hypothetical --- Not Proven"
By John W. Gofman, M.D., Ph.D.
Fall 1995

http://www.ratical.com/radiation/CNR/NoSafeThresh.html

TSA as an agency has proven itself to be less than truthful. I suggest they are the last group to accept information from as factual.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by doober
What about the employers of those frequent flyers telling the airlines that they can no longer afford the hours of down time while their employees wait to get through security. Make it clear that if the airlines do not address this issue with the TSA, said airlines will not be getting any more business from them.

I do firmly believe that this is going to implode on the TSA one way or another.
In addition to being concerned about the the loss of productive work time, large companies will also react if they start receiving "hostile work environment" claims.

For those who have to travel on business, suddenly being subjected to strip searchs in order to do your job definitely fits the bill. Of course, not many people will want to protest with their employer given the current unemeployment situation. But a unionized work force could, without fear of unintended consequences.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
I've been in the radiology profession since 1982. Since 1997 I've been teaching computed and digital radiography. I think I know more than you'll ever know about radation safety and precautions.

And I also know that I will NEVER step foot in to a WBI that is a backscatter x-ray unit. If you think you can force me you will be quite wrong.

Just because you've "been there" when they tested the machines for leakage doesn't mean squat. If there was a problem do you think they would indicate that to YOU? HA!

Keep thinking you're completely compentent to tell the flying public that the WBI is safe, that's what your bosses expect you to do.

But I know that you will NEVER be competent and completely educated about radiation safety like I am.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trvlr64
I've been in the radiology profession since 1982. Since 1997 I've been teaching computed and digital radiography. I think I know more than you'll ever know about radation safety and precautions.

And I also know that I will NEVER step foot in to a WBI that is a backscatter x-ray unit. If you think you can force me you will be quite wrong.

Just because you've "been there" when they tested the machines for leakage doesn't mean squat. If there was a problem do you think they would indicate that to YOU? HA!

Keep thinking you're completely compentent to tell the flying public that the WBI is safe, that's what your bosses expect you to do.

But I know that you will NEVER be competent and completely educated about radiation safety like I am.
I have wondered why TSA does not require its employees to wear a RAD Badge. They are near multiple x-ray sources and I can't believe that none of those devices leak a bit.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 23, 2010 at 11:08 am Reason: fixed
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: CX MPC SL
Originally Posted by VegasCableGuy
Thank you for the reply. Looking at news video of AIT screeners at work, I've seen what appears to be full screen images - obviously larger than the sample images distributed on the web or posted at entry points. The screener appears to have a "zoom" box that they drag across the image to look at the body in detail. Can't find the vid, but looks something like this.
Is this the video you remember? The TSO skips the genitals but it seems like it's optional to skip...
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=972_1262283908

Disturbing, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.