Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID required for unaccompanied minor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

ID required for unaccompanied minor?

The minor is a teenager - old enough to travel on his own with certain airlines, but not yet 18. Is ID required?

According to posted TSA rules, it would appear the answer is "no," but the only discussion I can find on this forum regarding this question pertains to minors who are either accompanied or dropped off at the gate by an adult (who would show his/her own ID).

My instinct would be to err on the side of caution and make sure he has some kind of ID . . . would state ID card be the way to go?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
State ID card would be fine! Knowing TSA, the rules will probably change about 15 times by the time your son flies!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by nhcowboy
The minor is a teenager - old enough to travel on his own with certain airlines, but not yet 18. Is ID required?

According to posted TSA rules, it would appear the answer is "no," but the only discussion I can find on this forum regarding this question pertains to minors who are either accompanied or dropped off at the gate by an adult (who would show his/her own ID).

My instinct would be to err on the side of caution and make sure he has some kind of ID . . . would state ID card be the way to go?
No ID for your minor, whether alone or with you, is needed.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
State ID card would be fine! Knowing TSA, the rules will probably change about 15 times by the time your son flies!
I'll take the over on that one.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
well, but if alone, why not send him/her with some kind of ID? And I don't know their age, but let's say they are 17, but look like 19...in that case, an ID would solve any kind of doubt that may cause delay, especially when your kid is on his/her own. Just saying.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:45 pm

I know people in their 30's who can pass for 16 or 17 and don't need ID to fly.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starlanet
. . . let's say they are 17, but look like 19...in that case, an ID would solve any kind of doubt that may cause delay, especially when your kid is on his/her own.
So, just to be clear, the kid should bring ID so he can prove he's young enough that he doesn't need ID? Oh yeah!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I had a passport for my daughter when she was 4 days old, emergency issuance so she could go to ATH with her mother and me. I would not travel with a child without ID regardless of what the theory is. There are too many ways to have questions without it.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I had a passport for my daughter when she was 4 days old, emergency issuance so she could go to ATH with her mother and me. I would not travel with a child without ID regardless of what the theory is. There are too many ways to have questions without it.
Understandable. But we're talking about passing through a TSA checkpoint here, not passing through an international border with passport controls. It shouldn't be TSA's business to examine identity documents in order to eliminate the possibility of child abductions.

I'm surprised Phil (paging Phil ... paging Phil ...) hasn't chimed in here yet with his usual list, but I'm sure he'll be along soon. In the meantime, let me recap briefly: technically, flying without ID is permitted even for an adult --- as long as the adult is willing to cooperate and submit to a long and tedious procedure for verifying their identity. So, if ID isn't technically required for adults to fly, it certainly isn't going to be required for minors to fly, either.

Since TSA says that they don't even ask for IDs from minors, I'm assuming that means they're not prepared to conduct that identity verification procedure on a minor, either. Which makes sense ... the procedure basically asks you to verify information about yourself available in various public databases, similar to the information that could be found in a credit check. Most minors don't have enough public records in order to make such a procedure effective.

(At least, I hope my son doesn't have a credit history yet, considering he's not even finished potty training. On the other hand, that might explain those rather large boxes from Toys R Us that keep showing up in the mail ...)
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:11 pm

If someone is under 18, id is not required at all for the checkpoint. Sometimes, kids look older than they really are, and when they say that they're 17 or 16 or whatever, I just let them continue.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:38 pm

no ID required for minors or for anyone else

No.

TSA refuses to publish the rules passengers are required to follow. Best we can tell, no documentation of identity is required for anyone.

Here's what I've been able to find out:

What are the rules concerning airline passenger identification by TSA?

Although TSA refuses to publish all the rules they require passengers to follow at airport checkpoints, from what we can distill from TSA press releases, heavily-redacted information obtained via FOIA requests, TSA blog posts, and other information they publish on the Web, it's relatively clear that your boarding pass is all the documentation that's ever required for domestic flights. It seems that passengers are not required to present documentation of their identities to TSA staff, and that doing so is not a condition of crossing the TSA checkpoint.

TSA won't publish the rules we're supposed to follow. So what do we know about their I.D. policies?

According to a 2008 press release from TSA, TSA's airport passenger identification policy changed on June 21, 2008, but "showing I.D." was seemingly not required before and is seemingly not required now.

Prior to June 21, 2008

Before June 21, 2008, the situation seemed to be: In order to proceed to the "secure area" of an airport after being stopped at a TSA barricade, each passenger must submit to a pat-down and search for metallic objects using a hand-held metal detector, along with a hand-searching of any carry-on baggage, unless he presents documentation of his identity (i.e., unless he "shows I.D."), in which case he must submit only to a search for metallic objects on his person via walk-through metal detector and search of any carry-on baggage using an X-ray machine.

In other words: back then, showing I.D. simply got you a less-thorough search than you'd otherwise receive.

Now

Beginning June 21, 2008, the situation seems to be: Each passenger still has the option of showing I.D. and participating in the less-thorough searches (walk-through metal detector and X-raying of carry-ons), but the alternative now involves not only being thoroughly searched for dangerous items, but also identifying oneself verbally and participating in an interrogation intended to verify one's identity (via phone call from Homeland Security headquarters). Chillingly, it seems from the aforementioned TSA press release that this alternative also requires that someone be "cooperative with officers". What that cooperation entails is not defined.

Initial reports from TSA indicated that while people who claimed that their government-issued I.D. card was misplaced or stolen would be allowed to take the alternate route through the checkpoint (with the questioning), those who willfully refused to show their papers would be barred from proceeding. It's unclear whether or not this is still the case, or if it was ever the case, as TSA's initial press release seems, based on information received from TSA via Freedom of Information Act request, to have been inaccurate.

Summary of present situation and how to exploit it

In short, best we can tell, complying with TSA's "papers, please!" request is not necessary in order to fly domestically, it's simply a way to avoid the hassle of a thorough search for dangerous items, the hassle of providing convincing information in support of your claim to be who you say you are, and having to cooperate with TSA airport staff in any manner they see fit.

This is a great system for people who wish to do harm in airports or on airplanes, since getting a falsified identification document (i.e., a "fake I.D.") is relatively simple, and presentation of one almost guarantees that TSA staff will look at someone with less scrutiny, making it easier for him to take weapons, explosives, or incendiaries past the security checkpoint. Even if TSA could detect such fraud with perfect accuracy, using the Carnival Booth Algorithm, terrorists can probe an identity-based security system like TSA's by sending a number of people on harmless trips through the system, noting who is flagged for extra searches and who isn't. Then they can send those who aren't flagged -- people who almost certainly will get through security with a less-thorough search -- on terrorist missions.

Why does TSA want to identify us? What's wrong with them doing so?

This isn't about your safety. It's about control -- a few people's control over the rest of us.

The primary reason that TSA wants to know who you are is their desire to restrict people's movement based on Homeland Security blacklists. As did every government that has imposed totalitarian rules, TSA repeatedly tells us that their freedom-restricting policies are about safety, security, and rooting out subversives. Of course, this policy is really about extra-judicial punishment, allowing our executive branch of government to sidestep our judicial branch and punish someone for any reason or no reason at all. That's not the way things are supposed to work in the United States. It's ripe for abuse, and it's an infringement on our freedom.

For more on showing I.D. in the general sense, please see the Identity Project's "What's Wrong With Showing I.D.?" page.

Previous discussion on FlyerTalk

For more on TSA airport I.D. policies, see also the following FT threads (the first of which is what brought me to FlyerTalk for the first time):
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
In addition, note that many airlines have corporate policies that require passengers to show ID when being issued boarding passes by airport agents, in order to protect revenue. These policies are not the same as the controversy over TSA ID checks (because the airlines are private companies, so if you don't like the policies you can choose a different airline; nobody is forcing you to fly an airline that requires ID).

I would never think of traveling without ID. It would be too easy for an airline to deny boarding. Now, it's unlikely for a minor, but it could happen, especially I think for a UM.

If the teenager could pass for somebody over 18, I think it is very important that he carry ID. Could create all sorts of problems if the airline agents and/or TSA are convinced that the kid is over 18 and he has no way of proving that he is a minor. Furthermore, in many jurisdictions, if a sworn LEO (not TSA) were to approach him and request ID*, he would be required to show it or risk being detained pending confirmation of his identity.

*In some areas, the LEO is required to have reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or a warrant, but in a high-risk area like an airport, I wouldn't play games with something like that.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Furthermore, in many jurisdictions, if a sworn LEO (not TSA) were to approach him and request ID*, he would be required to show it or risk being detained pending confirmation of his identity.

*In some areas, the LEO is required to have reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or a warrant, but in a high-risk area like an airport, I wouldn't play games with something like that.
The stop and identify laws require a person to state name and other identifying information. There is no requirement to carry ID so there can be no requirement to produce ID.

To the OP: does your son have a school ID? That should be good enough. I wouldn't pay money for an ID just for a trip.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
The stop and identify laws require a person to state name and other identifying information. There is no requirement to carry ID so there can be no requirement to produce ID.

To the OP: does your son have a school ID? That should be good enough. I wouldn't pay money for an ID just for a trip.
Unless you're traveling internationally ^__~
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by senseker
Unless you're traveling internationally ^__~
Yes but that falls outside of TSA and your employers scope of authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.