Wiki Posts
Search

Great Safety Screening at EWR!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Plat, UA Prem Ex, Delta Gold, SPG-Gold, Priority Club-Gold
Great Safety Screening at EWR!!!

A friend of mine forgot his ID and was just able to board a CO flight at EWR with just a gym membership and birth certificate!!! Both could have been reproduced on color copiers in minutes!

Great job TSA!!!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
What's this to do with MR?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
What's this to do with MR?

^
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:00 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
BFD (Big Furry Deal)

He shouldn't have had to show any ID to any government actor.

ID is irrelevant to security. That's yet another reason why the TSA is such an incredible joke.

Those in the US government who instituted the ID to travel domestically rule are scumbags who do not belong in the United States. I hope we exile these scumbags to North Korea or Iran.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:01 am

How many miles...

...and what was the cost per mile?

Originally Posted by angus1999
A friend of mine forgot his ID and was just able to board a CO flight at EWR with just a gym membership and birth certificate!!! Both could have been reproduced on color copiers in minutes!

Great job TSA!!!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:11 am

In before the lock
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mlhall
...and what was the cost per mile?
that depends on if the plane lands.....ok maybe a something not to joke about....sorry had to just speak the mind lol
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:16 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Why don't we see what the good people of the TS&S forum have to say about this.

--jpdx, MR Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
IDs provide no useful information at all. Who cares if he showed an ID or not? Did he walk through the metal detector? Were his bags x-rayed? Then no problem.

Bruce
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:35 am

I have seen that happen at CVG many times. I ounce had a Supervisor ask a Pax if they had anything with the persons name on it for I.D. It could have been written in crayon and they would have let him go. But to be honest with you. the I.D. check is really pointless anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: AC E
Used to be I'd agree that the ID check is irrelevant since they've gone through security, but (if the system had had its shite together, anyway) the ID check, not security, would've been what stopped the Christmas Day bombing attempt.

OP, your friend might not get the last laugh, though. Sure, he managed to board the plane this time without ID, but will he be able to fly back home without ID?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Would your friend have preferred they turned him away and didn't let him board his plane? Would you have felt safer? Then you probably would have posted a message about how inflexible TSA was and how they didn't let your friend through even though he had his birth certificate.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klparrot
Used to be I'd agree that the ID check is irrelevant since they've gone through security, but (if the system had had its shite together, anyway) the ID check, not security, would've been what stopped the Christmas Day bombing attempt.

OP, your friend might not get the last laugh, though. Sure, he managed to board the plane this time without ID, but will he be able to fly back home without ID?
The name against watch list checking is done by the airlines. The TSA ID checker has no list to refer to so what purpose is served by showing ID to this person?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angus1999

Great job TSA!!!
Why is this a problem?

Do you think that people who forget their ID's should be turned away? What if your wallet is stolen while you are traveling?

Can we say chicken little?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:48 pm
KCK

I've got to wonder about someone who forgets their ID but carries around a copy of his birth certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.