Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expired ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Expired ID

I have a question for the TSO forum members here regarding acceptable IDs at checkpoints. I remembered seeing on a previous thread that driver's licenses were acceptable IDs provided they had not been expired more than a year. How about other forms of acceptable IDs. For example, military IDs. Would they be acceptable as well provided they had not been expired more than a year?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:22 am
Suspended

Why would you be carrying expired ID? You can't even get into a bar with an expired id.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Why would you be carrying expired ID? You can't even get into a bar with an expired id.
Seems the expiration date on a Motor Vehicle Operators Permit only applies to the legal right to operate a motor vehicle.

Since the Operators Permit seems to be the ID of choice for TSA why does the date really matter, the traveler doesn't want to operate the aircraft?

If the picture represents the holder what else is needed?

Oh, how does showing ID to TSA improve security anyhow?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I thought that TSA would adamantly reject any ID that is expired, even if it expired on the very day they were looking at it. Expired = invalid to these clowns.

Bruce
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:30 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any other helpful advice for the OP.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I thought that TSA would adamantly reject any ID that is expired, even if it expired on the very day they were looking at it. Expired = invalid to these clowns.
I thought they accept ID's up to one year expired.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: CO-PLAT, Hyatt Plat
Is there not the 1 year rule still?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
AFAIK, your ID still can be accepted if it's expired less than a year ago. You should be fine. Just ignore thegeneral, ID isn't security, but yeah... the TSA does accept expired IDs no later than a year out, so you'll be fine.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

"Why would you be carrying expired ID? You can't even get into a bar with an expired id."
Actually, I can, without any ID. My graying hair gets me in, every time.

Regarding your first sentence, it is a hypothetical.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:12 pm

re:military ID. I don't have one, but others reported that the older military IDs had no expiration date and thus TSA didn't always find them acceptable.

Do all military ID holders now have an ID with an expiration date?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: QFF
How does an ID expire? An identity doesn't expire until the person in question does. The only reason an ID card should "expire" is when the photo no longer matches the holder.
Just because a DL might have expired, doesn't mean that the identity proving aspect has.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gj83
re:military ID. I don't have one, but others reported that the older military IDs had no expiration date and thus TSA didn't always find them acceptable.

Do all military ID holders now have an ID with an expiration date?
Retired military ID's use to and may still have "Indef" as the expiration date.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:07 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Himeno
How does an ID expire? An identity doesn't expire until the person in question does. The only reason an ID card should "expire" is when the photo no longer matches the holder.
Just because a DL might have expired, doesn't mean that the identity proving aspect has.
from a banker's point of view, an i/d is no longer considered valid if it has passed the expiration date. yes, it may contain a photo of the person in question, yes it may have a current address of the person in question and yes it may have other pertinent information about the person in question (d.o.b, ht, & wt, etc.) but it is expired and thus not valid. it's that simple.

whether the institution (i.e. a bank or the tsa) chooses to accept it based on their internal policies and procedures as there may/may not be a way to in fact verify the identity of the person in question is another story.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:44 am

The only valid argument I can think of against accepting expired ID is that the average person probably also renewed their ID and has a current version. This means it's easy to pass the old ID off to someone else who looks similar.

...other than that...I saw an article with the lady who had a face transplant. She was still using her old ID with a normal looking face even though for a while she has had a very horrible looking face. The ID was still valid, but boy had she changed.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30586321/
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04...ent/index.html
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by gj83
The only valid argument I can think of against accepting expired ID is that the average person probably also renewed their ID and has a current version. This means it's easy to pass the old ID off to someone else who looks similar.
And what about all those ID cards that simply don't expire?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Himeno
"How does an ID expire? An identity doesn't expire until the person in question does. The only reason an ID card should "expire" is when the photo no longer matches the holder.
Just because a DL might have expired, doesn't mean that the identity proving aspect has."
It expires so the issuer can charge you more money for the next one, to add more security features, to update the photograph, to change the look of the card, to name a few reasons. For example, my Wisconsin's State ID used to cost me $4.00 and expired 4 years later on the date of my birthday. When I renewed last year, it cost $28.00 and is good for 8 years and expires on the date of my birthday. Doing the math, it cost me 7X as much as the last one and valid for 2X the period of time of the last one. When I asked one of the staff at the DMV why State IDs had gone up so much, he stated it was to comply with the Real ID legislation. I can't complain, driver's licenses are even more and if you had a DUI or accident, the cost is higher still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.