FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   PAPER Formula: Folders, packing cubes, compression bags, garment bags, bundle packing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/990837-paper-formula-folders-packing-cubes-compression-bags-garment-bags-bundle-packing.html)

tfar Sep 5, 2009 3:34 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 12334561)
Wow, thanks so much for the detailed response. It is full of great suggestions and thought provoking ideas. I will be thinking a lot about this as I pack. And I pack enough that I usually dont think much about it, so that is really saying something. I will post more as I sort out things among the options. The Red Oxx Metro came today so I am pretty sure I will be going with the Metro in the SkyTrain. As you said, the difference between having it on the shoulder and the back is huge.

As far as the switch, I really think shipping is better. My wife wont be driving to meet me, but rather she will be taking the train to the city and then meeting me after she gets off work. So she would have to take the clothes on the train with her and keep them at work. Also, if something goes wrong, such as Im delayed or she has to work late I could end up going to JFK with no clothes. So I think the shipping is less stressful. The fleece was a good reminder, it is already getting chilly there. I will probably not take an extra pair of shoes. I have a pair of Mephisto loafers that are easy on and off for security and decent for walking. I usually travel with either them or a pair of dark colored Mephisto technical walking shoes. I am more serious now about working out so I may take trainers but I will likely just wear the Mephisto walkers and not deal with the laces for a few trips through security. My downfall on packing is, perhaps not surprisingly, gadgets. I think I took 6 phones with me on one trip. Im really working to get a handle on both the gadgets and their chargers. I have it down to one or two chargers and everything else USB. Ill post more as my packing lists mature. Thanks again for all of the help.

You're most welcome! :)

Ah, I didn't know the details of the rendezvous with the spousal packing assistant. ;) In that case shipping might be better. Still you could probably fit even the clothes for a full 6 days in just one compartment especially if you don't take extra shoes.

If you are an inveterate jogger or weight lifter you will need your equipment. However, the usual travel exercise recommendation is to simply take some swimming trunks because they are the lightest work equipment there is. Or do isometric exercises with your own body weight. There is some really mean stuff out there exercise wise. You'll wonder why you ever felt the need to visit a gym.

Yes, it is already getting chilly there. So fleece, sweater or coat should be considered.

Definitely go for slip-on shoes for security purposes. No question there.

I have the same problem with gadgets and chargers. If they had an Iphone with a video out plus a 5MP cam, and a foldable, wireless keyboard that has a photovoltaic panel on the back side, that would be the only device needed. Technically that would be no problem. Also, don't forget that you need a plug adapter for England. I think your current list is already good, though. But six cell phones... Why in the world?

So, resuming, let's say you pack for the full 6 days and won't wash on the road. You double up on your underwear and shirt allowance. Maybe there is one day where you can get away with just a t-shirt and the sweater/fleece. In any case, the extra 1kg is compensated by the lack of shoes. In terms of volume it will be no problem. Weight practically won't change.

You still have the other compartment for the fully packed Metro that will hold all your gadgets easily (I hope). Don't forget your coat as storage for gadgets like cam and cell phone or even an external hard-drive or a laser pointer (are those ok on board?).

Till

oldpenny16 Sep 5, 2009 6:57 am

This is great stuff! Thanks!

I love the packing cubes so much I buy plenty extras on EBags and use them at home to keep drawers tidy. I keep color coordinated cubes packed with basic needs such as underwear for speedy packing.

Thanks to IPhone I do not travel with a computer. Blessings! However I also have to carry a 2nd traditional cell phone. More wires and gadgets for that.

I use a Scottevest jacket that is my secret weapon for carrying all manner of stuff and it keeps me from having to check luggage.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm going to get one of those chopping sheets to switch with the heavy item in my packing folders.

We are obsessed!

I just received a new order of stuff from Magellans.com A very light weight skirt and pants that will reduce my packing weight for those items in half. Another victory!

tfar Sep 7, 2009 3:59 am

I have come up with a decent reflection on garment bags prompted by a question from a new Ft'er.

See the posts here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12341646-post3.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12341770-post4.html

There is one unknown variable recommendation and one all too obvious one.

FliesCasually Sep 7, 2009 4:07 pm

The thread makes the case against bundle packing, much better than I could make a case supporting it. However I know that I'll continue to use bundle packing with one bag travel, using the air boss. I used two or three folders, pants and shirts in folders, when I would check a maxi-sized "Travel Vault" bag by Atlantic. But when I'm doing minimalist packing, I think of the folder as adding the same bulk as another shirt ... and I won't use the space for a folder. Other carryon bags might lead me to other approaches. But the "side pockets" of the three main airboss pockets, provide their own organization for a bundle, and the straps hold it nicely in place. I usually bundle shirts and trousers around compressed ziploc bags of socks and underwear. I'm using several of the smallest sized Eagle Creek "envelopes" around the perimeter of the bundle, instead of cubes, for electronics. Too much overnight unpacking and repacking is unfortunately required. And although I don't notice wrinkles, they wouldn't be a problem for me anyway.

Again, I won't pretend to make a convincing counterpoint case for bundle packing, but it does work well enough for me that I'm not likely to change soon. Unless I check a bag, or get another few hundred cubic inches in my carryon....

GadgetFreak Sep 7, 2009 6:27 pm

You asked for a packing list, and here is a packing list!

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12329689)
Can you let us know your packing list? You might be able to get away quite easily with just a second set of clothes that your wife can bring you for the second trip when you stop over in NYC. The mailing thing sounds complicated to me; and costly. Time is money, too. You would probably be able to fit everything in the Skytrain anyway. I mean altogether you are gone for a total of six days. That's an easy fit even if you don't do laundry.

In the interest of light packing I'd still use the wife as a "laundry exchange agent" when you meet her on Friday. You pack beforehand and give the clothes in a plastic bag to your wife (or place it in the car she will use to meet you, so she cannot forget to take the bag). You then just repack the Skytrain in the trunk of your car. Actually bundle wrapping for that instance would help because you could easily take the old bundle out and replace it with the new one.

I'd take one shirt per day, one set of underwear per day. And only one extra pair of pants in addition to those you are wearing. If your feet are odor-free and you don't walk much you can dare to go two days on the same pair of socks. I know I can; maybe I am blessed. And one extra pair of shoes. That should be really all you need. You wear a reversible belt (if you are taking black and brown shoes, otherwise choose belt in color of shoes) and a sport coat on the plane. Possibly top that with an overcoat or trench or anorak. Cambridge will be a good bit cooler than DC, I suppose. A nice sweater for layering and changing the look a bit might also be a good idea. Or a fleece jacket.

I don't know your shirt size but mine come in at around 250g per shirt. So let's say you pack 3 shirts plus 3 days of boxers, t's and socks. That should be about 1200g max. Count 400g for the EC 18 folder. A leather sole size 9 lace-up shoe weighs easily 500g each, so 1kg for a pair of shoes.

My size M Polartec 100 (not sure but I think so) fleece jacket weighs 445g. An equal warmth thick cashmere pullover weighs 345 grams. Notice something...? :) Well, the sweater doesn't have any pockets or zip and the fleece jacket does, so that might account for the weight difference.

Pants, let's see. A nice pair of pleated Super 100 wool pants in 34/32 weighs 426g. My Perry Ellis Portfolio Travel pants weigh 467 at the same size. So count another 500g per pair of pants.

Add around 500g for 311 baggie and razor, brush, comb etc.

Let's add up:

Shirts + underwear: 1200
Folder: 400
Sweater or Fleece: 500
Pants: 500
Shoes: 1000
Grooming: 500

That's 4100g, quite exactly 9lb.

Pack socks in shoes, shoes in plastic grocery bags. T's, shirts, and undies in folder. Wrap pants around folder starting with waist closest to folder. Put shoes in bottom of compartment or up the sides with heels pointing down. Put pant/folder bundle in bag. Put fleece or sweater on top to have it at hand. Toiletry bags go on top of that towards the narrow upper edge of the Skytrain or between shoes and clothes. If you do wear a trench or anorak, the 311 baggie can easily go into an outside pocket.

The pant packing method I mentioned can be used in your case but it comes basically down to the same thing. When you have a suitcase that you fill with folded clothes, you first put in the pants. You put them in with the waistband first and let the legs hang outside the edge of the suitcase. Then you fill the suitcase and finally fold the legs over. Not a single crease in your pant legs.

Since you probably have two EC18 folders anyway, this method would be super elegant. You could pre-pack the entire bundle at home as described above and put it in a plastic bag. Then you just swap out that the old bundle against the prepacked plastic bag. In principle you wouldn't even need to take stuff out of the plastic bag if it's neatly packed.

Very sweet arrangement, no? The second compartment is completely free for the Metro bag. The Fedex circus shouldn't be needed.

If ever, on your way back, you have more luggage, you can take the Metro out of the Skytrain and it will be your personal item.

So you are at 9lb packed items, 4lb four the Skytrain and 3lb for the Metro. That's 16lb. Probably your gadgets and papers in the Metro will be at least another 5lb. Be ready for a 21+ lb bag. I am 36, 6ft, 160lb and that's where I feel stuff is getting heavy but still doable. You'll have to see for yourself and you always have the backpack option. That weight is heavy on a shoulder but very easy if carried on the back.

Take care,

Till

Here it is, with some notes below:

➙ International Travel Template

Bags, etc.
Skytrain ➙
Metro ➙
Packing Folder 18 Inch ➙
Packing Folder 15 Inch ➙
Small Gear Bag 1 ➙
Small Gear Bag 2 ➙
Gear Pouch 1 ➙
Gear Pouch 2 ➙
Work Docs ➙
Work USB ➙

➙ Skytrain
Bag Of Liquids (toothpaste etc.)
Shaving Kit
Gym Pants
Windbreaker
Shirts 2
Underwear 2
Socks 2
Jeans
Umbrella
Walking or training shoes

➙ Metro
Netbook (Asus 1005HA-P)
Trip Folder - travel docs - in large front pocket
Etymotics Earphones
Meds
iPhone
VZW blackberry
Livescribe Large Notebook
Livescribe Small notebook
Reading Glasses
Glasses
Tmo Blackberry
Pocket Briefcase
Passport
Passport Holder
Work Docs

Bag contents including packing accessories

➙ Packing Folder 18 Inch
Shirts 2
Underwear 3
Socks 2

➙ Packing Folder 15 Inch
Shirt 1
Khaki Pants
Underwear 1
Socks 1

➙ Small Gear Bag 1
Pens
3G Juice
iPhone Charger
USB Cable 2x
Verizon Mifi modem
Livescribe Pen
USB Drive With Work Pdfs

➙ Small Gear Bag 2
Senns - 300x headphones
Apple Iphone Headphones
3 Usb Modem for UK use
Spare Phone Batteries
SIMs
Plantronics Earphone And Adaptor
USB headset
Nokia 6310

➙ Gear Pouch 1
i - UP 5400 Battery Charger
UK Adaptor
Livescribe Base
USB Mouse

➙ Gear Pouch 2
Travel Meds
UK Adaptor
Computer Charger
i - UP 5400 Battery
USB charger adaptors
Contact lenses
Win mo Phone
USB Charger

➙ Work Docs

➙ Work USB stick
So for the explanations.

1) The top lists two bags (Skytrain and RedOxx Metro)
2) things in the bags are listed under them below
3) Small items are listed in the small gear bags 1 & 2 or the gear pouches 1 and 2. The small gear bags are these. And the gear pouches are these.

Once stuff is in these misc pouches they will also go in the Skytrain or the Metro (almost all in the Metro except for what is listed for the Skytrain specifically). The folders will go in the Skytrain. Im going to DC on Wednesday with this stuff except for the 18 inch folder, which will be mailed to me. I will mail back the two sets of dirty clothes and put the jeans and gympants in the 18 inch folder and put that in the Skytrain on Friday and head to London, returning home Monday. Once through security I will put the Metro in the front pocket of the Skytrain so that I can carry it all as a backpack. Im still working on what goes where in the Metro, it has lots of pockets. If there is a problem and I have to check a bag, the Skytrain is checked, and gear bag 1 and 2, pouch 2, and the 15 inch folder go into the Metro (the Livescribe large notebook and some of the work docs probably get moved to the Skytrain and checked).

This is still under revision but this is pretty close. I will probably lose a few things from the list. Also, I can probably put more of the items in the Metro to balance things a bit more. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

tfar Sep 7, 2009 7:35 pm

Gadgetfreak, how many ears do you have? ;) You are taking like three sets of headphones plus the BT ear piece. I'd start by leaving that at home unless I was driving. I'd also take only the etymotics and leave the Senns out. No need. Maybe take the Iphone headset because it has a built in mic, but then you definitely don't need the plantronics.

Are you splitting the EC 15 and 18 folders over two bags? It looks like that is what you want to do and it might make sense. But I am pretty sure you can ditch the 15 incher if you don't split them over two bags. Save 300g.

All together you got 5 shirts and three pants (1 on body, 1 jeans, 1 khaki). You might want to drop the jeans. Save another 500g at least. You will see that for 6-7 days three pairs of pants are really not needed. 5 shirts are ok.

It also looks like you are taking three or four phones. Seems excessive but I don't know what your requirements are and how your billing goes. This is definitely an area where you can cut down on clutter and chargers. Which also might mean taking less gear bags (secondary benefit).

Do you really need both Livescribe pads? How about just taking the big one?

Finally, I like to keep my back-up USB stick on my body; like in my trouser pocket. You certainly have an online back-up, too. But double redundancy with different locations is a really good thing when you are traveling internationally for presentations.

Till

GadgetFreak Sep 7, 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12345271)
Gadgetfreak, how many ears do you have? ;) You are taking like three sets of headphones plus the BT ear piece. I'd start by leaving that at home unless I was driving. I'd also take only the etymotics and leave the Senns out. No need. Maybe take the Iphone headset because it has a built in mic, but then you definitely don't need the plantronics.

Are you splitting the EC 15 and 18 folders over two bags? It looks like that is what you want to do and it might make sense. But I am pretty sure you can ditch the 15 incher if you don't split them over two bags. Save 300g.

All together you got 5 shirts and three pants (1 on body, 1 jeans, 1 khaki). You might want to drop the jeans. Save another 500g at least. You will see that for 6-7 days three pairs of pants are really not needed. 5 shirts are ok.

It also looks like you are taking three or four phones. Seems excessive but I don't know what your requirements are and how your billing goes. This is definitely an area where you can cut down on clutter and chargers. Which also might mean taking less gear bags (secondary benefit).

Do you really need both Livescribe pads? How about just taking the big one?

Finally, I like to keep my back-up USB stick on my body; like in my trouser pocket. You certainly have an online back-up, too. But double redundancy with different locations is a really good thing when you are traveling internationally for presentations.

Till

Youre right about the headsets and the phones. I need to cut them a bit. Ill sort that out before i leave. I see your point about the 15 inch folder but I want a one day change of clothes with me in the Metro in case I have to check the Skytrain. Not likely but Im a bit paranoid about that, plus it keeps things from getting overstuffed. The phones, meh... I have a problem ;). But it is partially due to the billing as well as the US vs Europe. I have a personal Verizon BB and a work iPhone. I use the TMobile BB in Europe because it is way less expensive for data than the iPhone but I may reconsider that and use the unlocked WinMo with a UK SIM. I might lose the Nokia as well. The good news is I dont need chargers for them, just adaptor tips or USB. I will ponder this a bit more. Likewise I would really like to lose the jeans. Or maybe the khakis. I will give that some thought also. Thanks.

tfar Sep 7, 2009 8:01 pm

Cool, you'll know best how to deal with the phones. It's more about clutter than weight in that case.

Jeans or khakis probably weigh about the same, no? If it's a more formal thing, I'd lose the jeans because if ever your other pair of pants gets heavily stained or lost, you will not have to be seen representing your university and your own position in jeans at Cambridge. If you do feel the need to get another pair of pants, I'd consider just buying one there.

Till

GadgetFreak Sep 8, 2009 8:31 pm

Arg. Got it packed and Im at 15 kg. Im one unhappy camper. I need to lose some stuff before leaving tomorrow, big time. :(

tfar Sep 8, 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 12351099)
Arg. Got it packed and Im at 15 kg. Im one unhappy camper. I need to lose some stuff before leaving tomorrow, big time. :(

Well, you know 15kg is not all that bad if you do use the Skytrain as a backpack. If not you come back with longer arms and a bent spine. :) So probably you are right, good idea to trim it down some more.

Just to be clear, the 15kg is with everything for the full six or seven days, right?

Till

GadgetFreak Sep 8, 2009 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12351140)
Well, you know 15kg is not all that bad if you do use the Skytrain as a backpack. If not you come back with longer arms and a bent spine. :) So probably you are right, good idea to trim it down some more.

Just to be clear, the 15kg is with everything for the full six or seven days, right?

Till

Three or four days. The good news is that the Skytrain with clothes (including a light jacket) is about 6.6 kg. The Metro with computer charger and a few other things (I already ditched the large notebook, it is probably half a kg) is about 4.2 kg. I have about 4-5 kg of electronic crap, razor and kippie bag that need a major pruning tomorrow morning. But yea, I think even with that stuff all going in the Skytrain to take it to 10 or 11 kg it would be okay on my back and the relatively light Metro on my shoulder. But I think I can shave a couple kilos pretty readily and getting it down to 11-13 kg would be great.

tfar Sep 8, 2009 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 12351211)
Three or four days. The good news is that the Skytrain with clothes (including a light jacket) is about 6.6 kg. The Metro with computer charger and a few other things (I already ditched the large notebook, it is probably half a kg) is about 4.2 kg. I have about 4-5 kg of electronic crap, razor and kippie bag that need a major pruning tomorrow morning. But yea, I think even with that stuff all going in the Skytrain to take it to 10 or 11 kg it would be okay on my back and the relatively light Metro on my shoulder. But I think I can shave a couple kilos pretty readily and getting it down to 11-13 kg would be great.

6.6kg for the packed Skytrain? So my estimate of 13lb was pretty much spot on. Well, 10% off but not bad. I am proud.

You are running into the usual gadget barrier. I know it all too well. :( At least you live up to your screen name. ;)

It's good that you got rid of the large notebook. Not sure how much those sfbags pockets weigh but perhaps you can replace some of them with ziplocs. Not stylish, I know. But who will see it anyway?

Are you taking an electric razor? I know a razor is indispensable but going wet is lighter. Check out my thread on shaving on the road.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ervations.html

I love the Schick Quattro Titanium with Trimmer. It works very well with some KoS Alpha Oil. You can even skip the aftershave balm and moisturizer with that. No brush needed, either. Taking just a little cologne sample instead of a glass bottle helps very much, too. At least 100g off. Take only what you really, really need for meds. Use hotel toiletries. The humangear gotoob tubes are very good for refilling your favorite toothpaste or hair gel.

Till

GadgetFreak Sep 9, 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12351294)
6.6kg for the packed Skytrain? So my estimate of 13lb was pretty much spot on. Well, 10% off but not bad. I am proud.

You are running into the usual gadget barrier. I know it all too well. :( At least you live up to your screen name. ;)

It's good that you got rid of the large notebook. Not sure how much those sfbags pockets weigh but perhaps you can replace some of them with ziplocs. Not stylish, I know. But who will see it anyway?

Are you taking an electric razor? I know a razor is indispensable but going wet is lighter. Check out my thread on shaving on the road.

I love the Schick Quattro Titanium with Trimmer. It works very well with some KoS Alpha Oil. You can even skip the aftershave balm and moisturizer with that. No brush needed, either. Taking just a little cologne sample instead of a glass bottle helps very much, too. At least 100g off. Take only what you really, really need for meds. Use hotel toiletries. The humangear gotoob tubes are very good for refilling your favorite toothpaste or hair gel.

Till

Unfortunately that didnt include a spare pair of shoes. So today it is clean the kippie bag, the shaving kit and the gadget bags. Also probably lose the khaki pants. I would like to get the shoes in. I must admit to being very tempted to throwing the whole kit into an 18 inch B&R roller and calling it a day but I will see how far I get.

oldpenny16 Sep 9, 2009 8:26 am

I travel with 2 sets of phones (and tech stuff) and my boss travels with 3.

I think we need a 12 step program.

I just got a new skirt and slacks from Magellans.com that cut the weight for those 2 items in half! Lots of pockets as well!

I travel with one pair of shoes and I wear those. One pair of shower shoes and I'm set.

Good luck GadgetFreak!

GadgetFreak Sep 9, 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12351294)

Till

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 12353309)
I travel with 2 sets of phones (and tech stuff) and my boss travels with 3.

I think we need a 12 step program.

I just got a new skirt and slacks from Magellans.com that cut the weight for those 2 items in half! Lots of pockets as well!

I travel with one pair of shoes and I wear those. One pair of shower shoes and I'm set.

Good luck GadgetFreak!

Thanks. I slashed and burned on my kippie bag, shaving kit and gear bags and got it to 13.6 kg. Im thinking of that long walk from the gate to the AA arrivals lounge at LHR :(

But looking at it more. The Skytrain with all my clothes and most of the other gear bags, shaving kit, etc is about 9.5 kg. That will be easy as a backpack. Then I will carry the Metro which will be a bit less than 5 kg as a shoulder bag. That should work, although I need to work on this a bit more for the future. Thanks for all the help!