FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Shoulder Strap Review - Practical Hacks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/983662-shoulder-strap-review-practical-hacks.html)

tfar Aug 9, 2009 11:51 pm

Shoulder Strap Review - Practical Hacks

Kevin from Practical Hacks has done an excellent shoulder strap review including the Redoxx Claw, the TB Absolute, the Skooba Superbungee and the Patagonia MLC strap. I have added my observations on the Briggs and Riley strap in the comments.

http://www.practicalhacks.com/2009/0.../#comment-1993

Enjoy!

Till

GadgetFreak Aug 11, 2009 7:08 pm

I have to say that I take off my B&R strap and replace it with the Tom Bihn when I use one of my B&R bags. The B&Rs are second place in my opinion.

tfar Aug 11, 2009 8:37 pm

That's very interesting. How would you rate the anti-slip of the BR compared to the TB? In which areas is the TB superior?

Personally, I find anti-slip almost more important than flexibility because I don't have particularly large shoulders.

Till

yosithezet Aug 14, 2009 4:46 am

I have the Kensington Contour Roller. I love it and love the strap which they describe as "Shock-absorbing, contour shoulder strap resists slipping off shoulder".

My problem is that now and then I screw up and the strap ends up under the bag and being scraped against the ground while I walk. This basically eats away at the material and eventually the strap breaks. Each time I've reported this to Kensington in order to inquire how I can buy just a strap they send me a whole new Contour Roller, which of course includes a new strap. I wish there was a way to just buy a new strap.

tfar Aug 14, 2009 5:28 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 12224558)
I have the Kensington Contour Roller. I love it and love the strap which they describe as "Shock-absorbing, contour shoulder strap resists slipping off shoulder".

My problem is that now and then I screw up and the strap ends up under the bag and being scraped against the ground while I walk. This basically eats away at the material and eventually the strap breaks. Each time I've reported this to Kensington in order to inquire how I can buy just a strap they send me a whole new Contour Roller, which of course includes a new strap. I wish there was a way to just buy a new strap.

They sent you a whole new roller? Awesome. Give the others to family members or sell for cheap. I bet they would send you just the strap if you made the request really clear, though.

Till

yosithezet Aug 14, 2009 5:32 am

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12224633)
They sent you a whole new roller? Awesome. Give the others to family members or sell for cheap. I bet they would send you just the strap if you made the request really clear, though.

Till

Well there are things that wear out for me with the rollers. I go through straps in about 6 months and rollers in about 10. So I just leave the roller on the side until the current one is shot. Typically the thing that goes is the area around the passport zipper pocket. My passport wallet with FFQ cards gets full and eventually the seams around the zipper rip. Also the foam pad on the back near the wheels which cushion the bottom against you when carrying it eventually comes off from wear and tear and dried out glue.

bagobsessive Aug 14, 2009 9:11 am

I quite like the Victorinox 'Comfort fit' shoulder strap. Works well with my Rolling Trevi and does stretch under weight on the shoulder although not too much.

Shoulder straps in general can be a pain with rolling computer bags since they get caught in things and can drag on the ground. But I find that when I really need them such as for helping me carry/steady the bag as well as other items in less common situations like climbing up or down steep stairs in international terminals or 'tarmac' dis/embarkings, I am REALLY pleased I have one - so I am reluctant to leave without one on my bag.

tfar Aug 14, 2009 3:24 pm

So the problem is that the strap drags on the ground, right? Would it be possible to come up with a little fabrication where you fix a simple velcro loop to the top of the extension handle stem. When the handle is extended the strap stays up. When you need to carry it, you undo the velcro keep the strap up and sink the handle back into the case. Should be relatively easy to make, I guess.

Till

Craig6z Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for the thread. I needed a new strap for my garment bag, and the top rated Tom Bihn looked just right.

The article mentioned that the Tom Bihn strap is also sold by its actual manufacturer as the "Opt/Tech S.O.S.". Found the large version of it for $16.70 all in through Adorama Camera, which is about half the price Bihn charges.

yosithezet Aug 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12227303)
So the problem is that the strap drags on the ground, right? Would it be possible to come up with a little fabrication where you fix a simple velcro loop to the top of the extension handle stem. When the handle is extended the strap stays up. When you need to carry it, you undo the velcro keep the strap up and sink the handle back into the case. Should be relatively easy to make, I guess.

Till

Not a bad idea, but often I'll find myself going through this cycle 4-5 times between my seat on the plane and baggage claim.
  1. Carry bag down the stairs to the tarmac.
  2. Roll it to the bus.
  3. Roll to the stairs at the terminal.
  4. Carry bag up the stairs.
  5. Roll it towards immigration.
  6. Carry it down the stairs.
  7. Roll it through immigration and to baggage claim.
  8. Finally put it up on baggage cart.

This is the reason that it ends up caught under the wheels. Once in a while I'll forget to make sure it is in the right place before I start rolling.

Drummer Aug 15, 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Craig6z (Post 12227961)
Thanks for the thread. I needed a new strap for my garment bag, and the top rated Tom Bihn looked just right.

The article mentioned that the Tom Bihn strap is also sold by its actual manufacturer as the "Opt/Tech S.O.S.". Found the large version of it for $16.70 all in through Adorama Camera, which is about half the price Bihn charges.

Could you tell us how you got this price. I went to the site, and the item is listed at $19.95 plus minimum of $5.00 shipping.

Craig6z Aug 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Drummer (Post 12230553)
Could you tell us how you got this price. I went to the site, and the item is listed at $19.95 plus minimum of $5.00 shipping.

Go to Amazon and search for "Op/Tech S.O.S. 0901012". Adorama will be selling it for $15.68 plus $1.02 shipping. There is also another seller through Amazon - Ace Photo that has it for 35 cents more all in.

I never bothered going direct to Adorama's site. No clue why their distribution channel prices are inconsistent.

Drummer Aug 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks Craig. Just snagged one.

kingalien Aug 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Bought my Optech SOS through Amazon as well. Great price. I do like the hardware/clips on the Absolute Strap better than the ones on the SOS.

shawbridge Aug 15, 2009 3:02 pm

I got my Optech SOS on Ebay for $9 including shipping if I recall correctly. It is great. I found it by searching on www.froogle.com.